• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing in all black

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirGrotius
Johnny Cash was probably the only one who pulled this off.

And you know why? Because Johnny Cash was a total badass who didn't go on the internet to ask a bunch of strangers if it was ok.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
too many people associate all black with badass. Sometimes you might be misconstruing someones look.

cb_32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lane
/thread

of course this fool is trying to look like some dude from a lame movie, lol.

uhh not necessarily.

i was just curious to see everyones take on it.

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirGrotius
Johnny Cash was probably the only one who pulled this off. Otherwise, try to avoid or at least mix it up with dark indigo denim.

I, for one, think it looks ******* awful when people wear blue and black like that.

Wearing all black makes me uncomfortable. I like grey.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
all black is easy to do well but you need interesting pieces in different textures and paying a lof of attention to silhouette is key. Of course everyone knew that, all black is like the n.1 stapple look of the fashion world from airier Yohji and Ann Demeulemeester looks to harder Rick Owens and Julius and going through sharp and elegant ones like Cloak or eurotrash like Dolce Gabbana.

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. i listen to this when im in all black

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lane
too many people associate all black with badass. Sometimes you might be misconstruing someones look.

The point is, if you have to go on the internet to ask if it's ok to wear something, then you should stick to the uniform because you won't wear it with confidence and you will look like a tryhard. Cash wore all black and if someone told him it was tacky I imagine it wouldn't have bothered him at all.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I used to do this in college, a black dress shirt and black suit, or a black turtleneck and black jeans. I was going for that bohemian look, or The Velvet Underground. I kind of think now that if you are over twenty, or not in a legendary band, or film maker you just look like an immature dick.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
swagger.

this. This is pretty much all it takes to make any ****** outfit look good. But keep in mind, if you have swagger, you wont be wearing TOO ****** of an outfit in the first place.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
The point is, if you have to go on the internet to ask if it's ok to wear something, then you should stick to the uniform because you won't wear it with confidence and you will look like a tryhard. Cash wore all black and if someone told him it was tacky I imagine it wouldn't have bothered him at all.

He isn't asking if he can do it, he wants to know how to do it best.

I also posit that Johnny Cash's ability to wear black has nothing to do with how good it looked, and everything to do with his status as a cultural icon and beloved musician. Feel free to put up pics to disprove me.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tumblr_lkbz4h0plE1qa70bko1_500.jpg

black turtleneck is the only piece you need

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
If privacy is what you seek, go for it. Outside of an Ed Hardy shirt, I can think of no greater way to identify yourself as someone not worth talking to.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
If privacy is what you seek, go for it. Outside of an Ed Hardy shirt, I can think of no greater way to identify yourself as someone not worth talking to.

I know this will come as a shock but the codes aren't the same in say Florida and NYC. I'd have a hard time wearing all black in the former but no problem in the later...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads