• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Savile Row: the cheapest?

G

Griffindork

Originally Posted by andreyb2
My SR tailor (John Kent) understands that bespoke is expensive very well...

He even went as far as too suggest that "bespoke trousers are simply too expensive... frankly, hardly worth the price these days".
redface.gif

Andrey

I agree with this. Sport coats only for me.
A

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always used to just tell the client the price when he was selecting the cloth.
eh.gif

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andreyb2
He even went as far as too suggest that "bespoke trousers are simply too expensive... frankly, hardly worth the price these days".
While I've had odd trousers made bespoke, I more often buy MTM from a favorite men's store.

Originally Posted by agjiffy
A

More 'sport' coats than suits for me by 3 to 1. But what do you do when you need a suit? It's a bit difficult to match odd pieces to make a suit.

G

Griffindork

Originally Posted by RSS
More 'sport' coats than suits for me by 3 to 1. But what do you do when you need a suit? It's a bit difficult to match odd pieces to make a suit.

I currently need suits on a relatively infrequent basis so I can get by with what I have. For a while, I would have trousers made if I was getting a jacket because it was worth the extra expenditure, but with current exchange rates the price increase is significant. I'm tempted to buy a summer suit with some linen in it, but I just get so much more use out of sport coats.

A

kraftar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by agjiffy
A

Since we're speaking of sport coats, roughly how much do the SR tailors charge for a sport coat these days?

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Save your money and buy your dream suit...

It is a journey and you will see how emotional you're when you push the door of a tailoring house for the first time.

It will be a fantastic experience for sure, hope the OP takes the jump and at least goes and checks Saville Row out. Disneyland for the sartorialist for sure
laugh.gif

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
My bespoke tailor does the same.
Come now, drop the name!

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zink and Sons in Sydney. Went through a variety of fabric books with Daniel Jones, and he outlined the price of each cloth as I was making my choice.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always and still do find it useful to get a sense of peoples budgets when they are selecting cloths or even before I start showing them things. Saves embarrassment and disappointment all round. Never thought of not discussing prices and I probably sold about a 1000 Bespoke suits on Savile Row for two quite different firms.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by David Reeves
I always and still do find it useful to get a sense of peoples budgets when they are selecting cloths or even before I start showing them things. Saves embarrassment and disappointment all round. Never thought of not discussing prices and I probably sold about a 1000 Bespoke suits on Savile Row for two quite different firms.
It is a bit of a legend... Before , when they were serving the happy few , it might have bee right but now , the customers are different . Some ultra rich guys ordering 20 , 30 or 50 suits at the time most likely do not look at the price tag but they're not the average SR customer anymore...

crazey

Reaction score
Has anyone used Kent, Haste and Lachter? What's their style like? More Nortons or Huntsman? Also, what is their price range?

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
It is a bit of a legend...

Before , when they were serving the happy few , it might have bee right but now , the customers are different .

Some ultra rich guys ordering 20 , 30 or 50 suits at the timemost likely do not like at the price tag but there are not the average SR customer anymore...

THe BBC documentary on Savile Row was very enlightening in this regard. I recall a rather long bit with Patrick Grant where he discussed the importance of brining in clients who might think Savile Row is beyond their reach.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington
THe BBC documentary on Savile Row was very enlightening in this regard. I recall a rather long bit with Patrick Grant where he discussed the importance of brining in clients who might think Savile Row is beyond their reach.

When I went to Anderson for a fitting , the guy in the next changing room was being measured for his first suit...

He was in his early thirties...

andreyb2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazey
Has anyone used Kent, Haste and Lachter? What's their style like? More Nortons or Huntsman? Also, what is their price range?

I did (and do).

There are two cutters: John Kent and Terry Haste. Former used to be head cutter of Norton & Sons; latter used to be head cutter of Huntsman (though in a turbulent time, when all other cutters retired / departed).

An example of John Kent work (worn by yours truly): http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=239461. Also, Mr Kent is a long-standing tailor of HRH Duke of Edinbourgh -- sure you can find a plenty of pictures.

As for examples of Terry Haste work, Nick Foulkes is quite a fan. There are many pictures of him, for example, here: http://www.howtospendit.com/#/articl...oy-terry-haste (click at "view latest" to see more items of clothing worn by Mr Haste).

Price: it used to be 1950 quids for a two-piece suit, incl. VAT. Then it went up a bit... by how much? Wish I know! I pay less-VAT, and Mr Lachter (with whom I deal, and who generally does book-keeping for the company) quotes different figures at different times. Should be around 2200 quids, though.

Andrey

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads