• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wish I never got into this expensive ass hobby, this is ridiculous...im looking at my potential spending this summer on fall/winter **** and its gonna be quite a sum.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slack tide
Dude, I probably shouldn't even be responding to you, but is this really necessary? What's the real problem here....., actually the nail rings? For some reason, I think not. What does my drapey hoodie that I got got Christmas have to do with the nail rings? You're a real jerk, whodini.

whodini has always criticized anything that might not seem "normal" to the mainstream person-- e.g. skinny jeans on guys, drapey goth ninja stuff (like your hoodie), etc. By bluntly stating his opinions he acts as the voice of conscience from the outside world. So try not to take it personally. I think your nail ring is cool, but what will the average person think but not dare say to your face?

One wonders if in whodini's ideal world everyone would dress like a real man by sporting RRL jeans, a rugged plaid shirt, and occasionally a bow tie.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Vancouver riots are hilarious. London Drugs, Sears, Chapters. Who are the idiots choosing where to loot?

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why does Mr. Porter sell J. Crew anyway? Isn't this like going to a nice restaurant and having a couple of random Denny's or IHOP entrees appear in the middle of the menu? Think about why a restaurant might choose to do this, then apply the same logic to Mr. Porter. It is not a pretty picture.

Their on-line magazine confirms this purpose. It's like a comic book for status seekers who don't rank. Many references to England, world travel, staying in hotels with "culture", rugby, Porsche, Jaguar, etc. Yet no one who actually knows anything about any of these subjects would find the articles authentic or even vaguely interesting. Mr. J. Crew will enjoy this stuff. It is bland and inoffensive, the people being interviewed dress like him, and everyone appears to enjoy the finer things in life.

omgcookielol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Why does Mr. Porter sell J. Crew anyway? Isn't this like going to a nice restaurant and having a couple of random Denny's or IHOP entrees appear in the middle of the menu? Think about why a restaurant might choose to do this, then apply the same logic to Mr. Porter. It is not a pretty picture.
What's wrong with variety? A guy can open the site looking for some J Crew/Converse priced stuff and see Balenciaga/Lanvin/Lobb right next to it. I think that a lot of people who buy at the J Crew price point would be interested in buying better if they knew what better was.

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to think that conversion to the darkside of SF was liking jet posts. Now I know that it's nodding along as you read a BB1 post.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thatoneguy
On second thought you could probably tap it with a hammer while holding upright against a table

I actually figured out something better, since I kinda wanted to wear it on my right hand anyway (slack take notice): you can take a pair of needle-nose pliers, but them around the outside of the nose, and open them up while holding the ring in place to stretch it.

I did this (gently) a few times to open it up in very small increments, and now I can wear it on my right middle finger.

Originally Posted by BB1

Because sometimes you just want a Grand Slam.

I believe they also sell RL polos with the pony logo on the chest.

Racing Green

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1

Their on-line magazine confirms this purpose. It's like a comic book for status seekers who don't rank. Many references to England, world travel, staying in hotels with "culture", rugby, Porsche, Jaguar, etc. Yet no one who actually knows anything about any of these subjects would find the articles authentic or even vaguely interesting. Mr. J. Crew will enjoy this stuff. It is bland and inoffensive, the people being interviewed dress like him, and everyone appears to enjoy the finer things in life.

On the face you're right but the reason is that until recently no one carried J Crew in the UK and it's been getting a lot of hype. Net-A-Porter were the the first stockists so it makes sense that Mr Porter would carry it too.

No one on this side of the pond knows how rubbish J Crew is (yet).

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Their on-line magazine confirms this purpose. It's like a comic book for status seekers who don't rank. Many references to England, world travel, staying in hotels with "culture", rugby, Porsche, Jaguar, etc. Yet no one who actually knows anything about any of these subjects would find the articles authentic or even vaguely interesting.

Too bad. I very much like their magazine. The Madison Ave private school dad and son articles are the best.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Racing Green
No one on this side of the pond knows how rubbish J Crew is (yet).
I see somebody in England saying this about All Saints as it applies to America.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads