• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Affordable must eat's in NYC

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Next week im in NYC for 5 days and nights. Staying at Hotel Plaza Athenee.
Im looking for suggestions on where to eat, at a moderate price.
Any suggestions?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You are staying at the Plaza Athenee and you want to eat in inexpensive restaurants?
confused.gif

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite cheap eats in the city:

Bagels from Absolute Bagels on the UWS
Thai food from Ayada in Queens (worth the trip, I promise) or Zabb Elee in the LES (not as good, but closer)
Western Chinese froom from Xian Famous foods (only the outpost under the manhattan bridge or the one in Queens)
Pastrami on rye from Katz's (if $20 is still cheap to you)

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hagi Sake Bar--I'm convinced it's the best food for the money in the whole city.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's an entire thread dedicated to cheap eats in NYC

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Hagi Sake Bar--I'm convinced it's the best food for the money in the whole city.

A very good recommendation.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
You are staying at the Plaza Athenee and you want to eat in inexpensive restaurants?
confused.gif

yes.

The trip was an award from work, which I was laid off from last week....so I am a laid off guy staying at the Plaza Athenee for a week....

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm excited about getting some Xi'an noodles soon. Probably the only Asian food I will eat in NY while I'm there though, don't need Japanese food.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
I'm excited about getting some Xi'an noodles soon. Probably the only Asian food I will eat in NY while I'm there though, don't need Japanese food.

Curious to hear your opinion on Toto Ramen, please go there if you have time. Compared well to great ramen in Tokyo.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
yes.

The trip was an award from work, which I was laid off from last week....so I am a laid off guy staying at the Plaza Athenee for a week....

Gotcha. You could see why I was confused. Sorry for your troubles... I know what it's like.
frown.gif

Lombardi's has really good pizza, and pretty inexpensive.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Curious to hear your opinion on Toto Ramen, please go there if you have time. Compared well to great ramen in Tokyo.

I'm.... actually not the best person to ask, I really don't like ramen actually and whenever I'm in Japan it's like the last thing I ever eat. I've had some 'good' ramen but it just doesn't do it for me.
I LOVE pho, but I like clear broths and the fresh herbs that go in it more than the noodles or the ****** meat. I'd take a light clear broth with lettuce or leafy herbs in it with my lunch or dinner any day of the week. There was that huge Hakata-style tonkotsu stronghold (a la Ippudo) for the past what, 10 or 15 years, there's this new swing of surf n turf soup, pork and bonito or seafood broth, and that I really don't like. I don't know if I will ever come to like any of the styles of ramen that have been popular in my time, tonkotsu, the mixed broth; I like shio (chicken and salt) broth, and I like shoyu, less miso, but those won't be popular again for awhile maybe.

My lady is from Fukuoka (Hakata) and has never eaten ramen before, so go figure.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Impolyt,

This place actually specializes in chicken broth rather than Tonkatsu broth. Their starter of pork belly over rice with yuzu mayo (you know I don't usually like mayo) is really delicious, and I think the broth is some of the best I've had in a non-french restaurant.

I was just curious if you knew it since you're up on a lot more asian food than I am. Good pho I have not had, but this may change because my friend's girlfriend's mother is supposed to make the best pho on the planet as my many asian friends have attested to. Looking forward to that.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'll give it a try if I can find it then, chicken broth I'd do anyday of the week, like I said. I actually gotta go to Tokyo again in a month, wish I could reverse that so I'd have a fresher palate for some of these things. There's a kaiseki place I was interested in in NYC but I'll probably skip it considering my time and needs.
Starting in a few days I'm gonna be stuffing myself on all kinds of stuff; stepping off the plane at LAX and going to Bouchon with some people.

For NY, I will eat some Xi'an with some hipsters for sure, I am gonna eat the Momofuku fried chicken with some people for ***** and giggles, I would like to fit in a fine dining lunch or dinner if possible, and I think what I've really been craving for the past 3 years of being out of the country is just deli food and sandwiches.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads