• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most common style mistakes

Lear

Reaction score
Messenger bag, but with a suit. Strap digging into shoulders.

grit

Reaction score
Black shoes are fine with Navy, I'd argue even preferable on some occasions, and it's been a traditional combo for a long long time. In fact, the U.S. Navy agrees and they have "Navy" in their name.

Onlyoneoklahoma

Reaction score
I unbutton my collar and loosen my tie after lunch, unless I have a meeting. It gets way too hot to walk the Chesapeake Energy campus in the afternoon.

Am I breaking rules?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I go to work in a messenger bag. When I don my suits, I shorten the strap and just carry it by hand though. Damn I need me a briefcase.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grit
Black shoes are fine with Navy, I'd argue even preferable on some occasions, and it's been a traditional combo for a long long time. In fact, the U.S. Navy agrees and they have "Navy" in their name.
While I much prefer brown, I agree with your general argument except the "Navy" point, which is really pointless. Hell, I was in the Air Force and we wore navy uniforms with black shoes but it doesn't make it right the same way that camo cargo pants and pants tucked into boots isn't right just because the military does it.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
While I much prefer brown, I agree with your general argument except the "Navy" point, which is really pointless. Hell, I was in the Air Force and we wore navy uniforms with black shoes but it doesn't make it right the same way that camo cargo pants and pants tucked into boots isn't right just because the military does it.

For what it's worth, military spec is always nicely color coordinated, so I think the argument stands.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
For what it's worth, military spec is always nicely color coordinated, so I think the argument stands.
So, you would wear BDUs on a daily basis by choice?

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, you would wear BDUs on a daily basis by choice?

No, but I would ape aspects of the color scheme, which is what he's saying here. He's not saying you have to pack your saber to work, just that navy and blue go well together, which is why the Navy chose that color scheme.

Bleichroder

Reaction score
for some reason nobody in my office wears a dimple in his tie. Makes me nuts.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
No, but I would ape aspects of the color scheme, which is what he's saying here. He's not saying you have to pack your saber to work, just that navy and blue go well together, which is why the Navy chose that color scheme.
I guess my issue was the Navy reference as the Air Force wears navy "dress blues". The only saber in the Air Force is an obsolete plane.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess my issue was the Navy reference as the Air Force wears navy "dress blues". The only saber in the Air Force is an obsolete plane.

Khaki only recently made a return to the Navy. They've been in navy blue a while. The saber reference is to the Marines, which are technically Navy. Mind you, the army wears it too -

http://www.army.mil/asu/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform...s_Marine_Corps
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform...ed_States_Navy

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well sorry about starting this black/brown with navy controversy here...

back on topic:

A big pet peeve that I have is when people buy $300 sunglasses that look like a douche manufactured them and call them stylish/classy/trendy. In some cases they are, but the person introduces the sunglasses as, "Check out my Armani Sunglasses, they were like $300." Focussing entirely on the price and not the style, as if the price justifies the style.

More appropriate and stylish sunglasses have a specific style name, I would rather introduce mine as, " Check out my clubmasters" or "grabbed a new pair of these wayfarers, pretty slick, huh?"

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gosh look at my Evidences...
louis-vuitton-spring-summer-2009-sunglasses-5.jpg
...pretty stylish, what!!

Night Owl

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads