• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tour of Rubinacci workshop / Cappelli atelier -- June 2011

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with your points M, but in the past, atleast from what I know, you did need an introduction to go to a top tailor. I've seen RSS write about how this used to be the case on Savile Row.
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I like knowing the price I see on the list is the price I'm going to pay, and that's what everyone else is going to pay, too. <snip> It's not like ordering off a menu or picking something out at the store.
Just quoting out your words out of context like everyone else here, for giggles
smile.gif
(emphasis mine)

Guero

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Cappelli was going to charge me €100 for ties--which is what Marinella, Cilento and all the other nice places charge--but because I was with Mina he charged me €90. Come to think of it, all the ones I bought on my own trip were cashmere so maybe €100 is the cashmere price, which would make sense.

Rubinacci as I recall was €100 for regular silk and €120 for cashmere. These were regular fold, I didn't ask about sevens.

I purchased Cappellis last weeek, regular silk, at 80 Euros. I also purchased a Rubinacci last week, regular silk, at 100 Euros. The hospitality in both places, not to mention the quality of the ties, would have shamed me to haggle over those prices.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by banis
Attolini told me in December that jackets started from €2,500.
They told me in May that the price for a suit is €2,500.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mishon
They told me in May that the price for a suit is €2,500.

Really? That sounds low. Doesn't their MTM start at ~$5k US?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Is Attolini in Naples full bespoke or MTM?

kcc

Reaction score

Not quite, Libani quoted me 4.9K for a MTM sport coat so tack on > 7 big ones for a 2-pc. Said they imported two Napoli tailors to conduct measurements and fittings. I wonder if they'll perform the cutting and sewing for the bespoke operation or ship the stuff back to their hq? Its unimaginable to think that just 2 tailors would assume the voluminous work load expected for the Manhattan boutique.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was also surprised and made plans to come back in the fall and have a few suits and jackets made. I can provide an update once I finalize my plans and get a direct quote, but that was the price that Ciro, the salesman quoted me. There is a store right next to Attolini called Argenio. They quoted me €1500 for a bespoke suit. P.S. Speaking of discount, every store in Naples will give you some. Just ask for some "sconto." The only place where I had to haggle was Tramontano, and that's after buying 2 leather bags, a purse for the Mrs. and a wallet.

Mr.P

Reaction score
Very well written. Thank you for sharing.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Full, I believe, but like so:

- B

Thanks

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Thanks

You might recall there was a video posted a year or two ago where the TV show host visits the Attolini factory to be measured for a bespoke suit:

It would appear from the video, and based on what iammatt has described before, that the bespoke suits they sell are made on the same assembly lines as the RTW and MTM stuff. Things are confused even more by the fact that there appears to be no clear distinction between "bespoke" and "made-to-measure" to Italians. Luca and Mariano Rubinacci themselves call their suits "made-to-measure" from time to time, as they simply mean "custom" or "bespoke."

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Things are confused even more by the fact that there appears to be no clear distinction between "bespoke" and "made-to-measure" to Italians. Luca and Mariano Rubinacci themselves call their suits "made-to-measure" from time to time, as they simply mean "custom" or "bespoke."

Do you know what kind of cutting system R. uses? If it's block manipulation, it seems like there's a very wide fuzzy line between MTM and custom, perhaps analogous to the better MTM shirtmakers.

--Andre

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by banis
They have different prices all the time. First time I paid 90 EUR for ready wool ties and got a pocket square as a gift. Next time I ordered two more wool challis ties again for 90 EUR including shipping. Last time it was 70 EUR for a silk tie and something like 130 for a woman scarf.
smile.gif

It is the definition of a small business. I order every three weeks and roughly half the time he asks me what his price for this or that is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads