• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
ip4 my dude

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
ip4 my dude
lol8[1].gif
My IP4 takes crappy pics for some reason, good lighting and all. I know it can take good pic but I'm just not good at it.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
All useless, I either want the leica m6 or alpa12
biggrin.gif

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash
how large of a difference is something like a dlux 5 compared to a simple $250 canon p&s?

I was looking into a better camera myself, but don't want to lug around a huge dslr. Something I can still travel with. Would like video on it as well.

Hrm...well it depends on what you're looking for. The Leica can do some amazing things

For example (shot on a D-Lux 4 with no post-processing):

In St. Peter's Basilica by Yegwa, on Flickr

But if you are looking for more versatility (ability to change lenses, higher ISO range etc.) and still want to keep the small form factor, then either the Panasonic GF1/2 or the Olympus EP-1/2/L is definitely the place to be. You can also grab really cool vintage lenses for cheap off eBay and basically have a little dSLR in your pocket
biggrin.gif

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivwri
But if you are looking for more versatility (ability to change lenses, higher ISO range etc.) and still want to keep the small form factor, then either the Panasonic GF1/2 or the Olympus EP-1/2/L is definitely the place to be. You can also grab really cool vintage lenses for cheap off eBay and basically have a little dSLR in your pocket
biggrin.gif

for the $, the micro4/3 is selling yourself short. a pentax k-x is priced similarly but offers much more in terms of robustness as it is a full dslr but the size difference is negligible. well that's how i feel, anyway, as I was about to purchase a m4/3 and that was my conclusion
Originally Posted by g transistor
Need a new WAYWT thread, WAYWT film only edition
there are so few places around that still do med format, and i'm too lazy to do it in my bathroom hehe will post waywt pic in 6-9 months

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
How's the Fuji?? Been fighting the temptation to just splurge on it. Already using an Olympus EP-2 as my "small" camera but that X100 is hella sexy.

To keep things short, it's actually really great. I've only had a chance to take it out one day so far, and I'm still learning all the features and settings, but it's proven to be very capable. Size is awesome for hopping around town, and it feels great and not overwhelming to quickly pick up and shoot with.

Manual zoom on it is strangely unbearably slow though but supposedly that will be improved in the next firmware update.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shahanshah
there are so few places around that still do med format, and i'm too lazy to do it in my bathroom hehe
will post waywt pic in 6-9 months

Luckily I have a place here (e-6) lab that I could bike to to get med format done. Should post a waywt from a kodachrome slide I have from this past december road tripping to Dwayne's. There were some dudes all the way from Norway there lol

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a d-lux 3 and just dropped by d-lux 4. Great cameras. Just bought a gf1 and am still getting using to it.

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meant to say dropped my d-lux 4. They're all little workhorses. I've purchased my cameras used on craigslist and have gotten some solid deals.

chomeo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by London
Meant to say dropped my d-lux 4...

that sucks! I dropped my d-lux3 twice and ended up paying more to get it fixed then the original purchase price. Yet, my d-lux3 and 4 have given me many good memories!

chomeo

Reaction score
Basically. Panasonic owns Leica now...

I'm not sure this is the case. some of the two brands' point and shoots do share similar electronics and software (from Panasonic) and optics (Leica's technologies) but that's it there.

in the case of the Leica D-Lux series and Panasonic LX series, the bodies look different and Leica's image processing algorithm is different. If you shoot in raw mode, it shouldn't matter which camera you choose. It comes down to whether or not you want that red dot on the camera or not. you can't go wrong with either.

I chose the Leica version because I liked the clean look of it over the Panasonic - completely black with red dot in front. And it has given me lots of complements and good pictures along the way!

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chomeo
I'm not sure this is the case. some of the two brands' point and shoots do share similar electronics and software (from Panasonic) and optics (Leica's technologies) but that's it there.

in the case of the Leica D-Lux series and Panasonic LX series, the bodies look different and Leica's image processing algorithm is different. If you shoot in raw mode, it shouldn't matter which camera you choose. It comes down to whether or not you want that red dot on the camera or not. you can't go wrong with either.

I chose the Leica version because I liked the clean look of it over the Panasonic - completely black with red dot in front. And it has given me lots of complements and good pictures along the way!

You're right actually with regards to the ownership. Not sure how I got that impression a few years back. But yea, everything you say is correct. The processing only affects jpeg shooting and the design of the Leica is better than the Lumix for sure
smile.gif

chomeo

Reaction score
yea. I think there was that rumor back in 2008 when Leica was in fact in trouble. but I remember reading somewhere that a private equity group from Austria came in and rescue them. They've been much sluggish on the digital camera front that forces them to work with Panasonic. it's good for us consumers as the products combine the best of both companies.

i also have been eyeing that X100. the specs have been impressive. I just don't know if I would gain anything over the 2 Dlux's that i have.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads