• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr chorizo
for 11/11.5 there are bunch of cordovan boots though...the two that look appealing to me are the barrie last boot with indy boot apron stitching (blind eyelets all the way up) or the j.crew perf captoe boot on the barrie, both in #8. thoughts?
I would inquire as to what the flaw is in either boot; in my experience, sometimes the flaw is minor, while other times it is a dealbreaker. All things being equal, I would probably go with the #8 Indy, but to me a minimal flaw would trump the aesthetic preference.

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triumphman
Not much going on in the shoemart irregulars this month...
couple of color 8 chukkas for size 8.5, tempting

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my black wingtip boots w/ commando sole in -- freakin' awesome. I'll have to take a couple pics later.

CTYGGG

Reaction score
Snapped up a pair of the ravello LHS and a pair of the tan George boots that were made for Leffot a couple of months ago. Hope they workout. : )

Pastor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTYGGG
Snapped up a pair of the ravello LHS and a pair of the tan George boots that were made for Leffot a couple of months ago. Hope they workout. : )

If we are looking at the same list then i'm glad you got those ravello LHS. They were tempting me and i've already bought four pair of shells this year. There are also some Cigar LHS on the 9.5 email.

lxlfeng

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pastor
If we are looking at the same list then i'm glad you got those ravello LHS. They were tempting me and i've already bought four pair of shells this year. There are also some Cigar LHS on the 9.5 email.

which list is this?

Bruce-YVR

Reaction score
Gents.... need your opinions on TOPY. I am gonna get my Alden Chukka. I live in Vancouver, Canada and the weather is fairly close to Seattle. We get a lot of liquid sunshine here in Fall and Winter months.

Once I get my Alden I am planning to put TOPY on. Anyone here got TOPY on your Alden??

Thanks in advance

Bruce

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Just grabbed these from Stephen at Leffot...these with the few pre-orders I'm awaiting has to officially include me into some type of club that holds its meetings in church basements.

254501_10150664150230381_126706475380_19140275_4109134_s.jpg

These were facebooked, he needs to take better pics for his blog. I'll try and snap some when they arrive tomorrow.

Rob, I am glad he does not have those in my size, I would have to get a pair. It sucks waiting for special orders to come in. I got my blue PTB form Leather a couple weeks ago, but I am still waiting for the longwings I ordered at the same time ot come in.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bruce-YVR
Gents.... need your opinions on TOPY. I am gonna get my Alden Chukka. I live in Vancouver, Canada and the weather is fairly close to Seattle. We get a lot of liquid sunshine here in Fall and Winter months.

Once I get my Alden I am planning to put TOPY on. Anyone here got TOPY on your Alden??

Thanks in advance

Bruce

I'm still torn on what the ultimate sole is for those of us who live in inclement climates.

my take on with the standard Alden soles is:

Commando: great for really casual, something about it to my eye still makes them a touch clunky for a boot I'm paying big $$ for

Waterloc: solid in rain, but my *guess* is that being a smooth leathersole, these would not do too well in ice/snow (thoughts?)

Crepe: comfy, but also v casual

single or double leather: when combined with Topy, probably provide a nice combination of dressy + weatherproofing

I still think my favorite all around sole is Dainite, sadly not offered by Alden. the profile looks identical to leather, and is as weatherproof as commando. some folks say commando provides better grip on ice, but I think Dainite is fine

I think when it comes time to resole my shell boots I will go with Dainite / B. Nelson

CTYGGG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pastor
Thanks! I didn't have any LHS in my arsenal and figured it was worth a shot. I spotted the cigar, but can't go the full strap on the LHS so I passed. Not a bad list some decent summer shoes.

mr chorizo

Reaction score
back to the irregulars for a moment, i ended up not being able to resist the natural chromexcel indy boot on the BARRIE last. never much of a fan of the trubalance, i'm really curious to see how these turn out!

enigma77

Reaction score
^ Barrie last in boots can look nice. Never seen an Indy on the Barrie, though, as those are usually on the Trubalance.

The natural chromexcel plain toe boot on the Modified last is gorgeous. I think it's a Shoemart exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads