• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tour of Rubinacci workshop / Cappelli atelier -- June 2011

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Moreover, the idea of dealing with tailors lacking a transparent, organized pricing structure fills me with no small amount of anxiety. I like knowing the price I see on the list is the price I'm going to pay, and that's what everyone else is going to pay, too. The notion of needing a proper introduction to get the right kind of price and service really strikes the wrong chord with me, and I would not want or know how to maintain such a relationship.

While I agree with your thinking, and understand your decision to stick with Rubi, are other Neapolitan tailors really that shady in terms of pricing?

I have had dealings with Solito and Mina, and both have been upfront about their pricing structure. And when I reached out to Formosa and Pirozzi as I was planning a (sadly aborted) trip, they too quoted me specific prices without any issues.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
I have had dealings with Solito and Mina, and both have been upfront about their pricing structure. And when I reached out to Formosa and Pirozzi as I was planning a (sadly aborted) trip, they too quoted me specific prices without any issues.

Mina caters specifically to foreigners, so the thinking doesn't apply to her. As far as other tailors in Naples: well, come on, everything in southern Italy is negotiable. I would not assume the price you get on paper is what local clients are paying. I've received numerous offers from various people over the years to introduce me to their tailors in Naples in order to get a better price.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Mina caters specifically to foreigners, so the thinking doesn't apply to her. As far as other tailors in Naples: well, come on, everything in southern Italy is negotiable. I would not assume the price you get on paper is what local clients are paying. I've received numerous offers from various people over the years to introduce me to their tailors in Naples in order to get a better price.

Interesting.

banis

Reaction score
While I agree with your thinking, and understand your decision to stick with Rubi, are other Neapolitan tailors really that shady in terms of pricing?

When arranging trip to Naples and contacting different tailors I was told at several places that price is a personal issue and should better be discussed during the meeting. Depending on different reasons, quoted price may be negotiable. In my particular case I got a good deal and received quite a good discount from the initial price.

BTW, what did Formosa and Pirozzi tell you about their prices?

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
FWIW - I know 4 people that have used Cappelli and each one has been quoted a different price for 4 fold and 7 fold. I don't think the firm is shady in anyway - I just think its a reality of that part of the world.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
It is well understood in the Naples clothing world that Solito is €1,500 for a jacket and €2,000 for a suit. That is in line with his dollar price of 2,100 and 2,800, respectively. (Those prices are for stuff made with his cloth.)

That price is quoted in a guide to Neapolitan tailoring that Gennaro proudly showed me in his shop so he would have a hard time charging more. At least, if he tried, someone might see that and balk.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by banis
BTW, what did Formosa and Pirozzi tell you about their prices?

Formosa was 2,000 euros. Can't remember Pirozzi - will have to check my email.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by banis
Depending on different reasons, quoted price may be negotiable. In my particular case I got a good deal and received quite a good discount from the initial price.

The price is always negotiable.

Originally Posted by whnay.
FWIW - I know 4 people that have used Cappelli and each one has been quoted a different price for 4 fold and 7 fold. I don't think the firm is shady in anyway - I just think its a reality of that part of the world.

If it's a small family-operated business in Naples and you take the price they first quote, you're paying too much. Knock-off 30% and go from there.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.

Cappelli was going to charge me €100 for ties--which is what Marinella, Cilento and all the other nice places charge--but because I was with Mina he charged me €90. Come to think of it, all the ones I bought on my own trip were cashmere so maybe €100 is the cashmere price, which would make sense.

Rubinacci as I recall was €100 for regular silk and €120 for cashmere. These were regular fold, I didn't ask about sevens.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Formosa was 2,000 euros. Can't remember Pirozzi - will have to check my email.

€2,000 or thereabouts was what most of the established tailors charge. It's basically that or 1/2 that in the Spanish Quarter or 2x that at Rubinacci.

I didn't ask about prices at Attolini or Eddy Monetti, which are the other "big name" international brands but I bet they are high.

banis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Cappelli was going to charge me €100 for ties--which is what Marinella, Cilento and all the other nice places charge--but because I was with Mina he charged me €90. Then I asked foo to proxy me some and he charged foo €70 for linen and €80 for silk. Come to think of it, all the ones I bought on my own trip were cashmere so maybe €100 is the cashmere price, which would make sense. I can also see that linen would be cheaper since the material is cheaper. Rubinacci as I recall was €100 for regular silk and €120 for cashmere. These were regular fold, I didn't ask about sevens.
They have different prices all the time. First time I paid 90 EUR for ready wool ties and got a pocket square as a gift. Next time I ordered two more wool challis ties again for 90 EUR including shipping. Last time it was 70 EUR for a silk tie and something like 130 for a woman scarf.
smile.gif
€2,000 or thereabouts was what most of the established tailors charge. It's basically that or 1/2 that in the Spanish Quarter or 2x that at Rubinacci. I didn't ask about prices at Attolini or Eddy Monetti, which are the other "big name" international brands but I bet they are high.
Attolini told me in December that jackets started from €2,500.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Btw, has anyone noticed the weird / fantastic deal on Rubinacci's homepage:

8 nights at the Casa Rubinacci + 1 bespoke suit for 4,200 euros. Given that his suits regularly start at 4,200 euros or thereabouts, you are essentially getting 8 nights in a nice suite for free.

The one caveat is that the offer mentions 'special cloths' or somesuch. Could be a very limited selection of deadstock fabric for that offer.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

8 nights at the Casa Rubinacci + 1 bespoke suit for 4,200 euros. Given that his suits regularly start at 4,200 euros or thereabouts, you are essentially getting 8 nights in a nice suite for free.

The one caveat is that the offer mentions 'special cloths' or somesuch. Could be a very limited selection of deadstock fabric for that offer.

CMT, problem solved.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

That caught my attention, too. I think, however, it's not quite that good to be true. More plausibly, what they mean is that if you pay for 8 nights, you get a suit for 4,200 euros, which is 200 euros lower than their standard price.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
CMT, problem solved.

smile.gif
Still a great deal.

That caught my attention, too. I think, however, it's not quite that good to be true. More plausibly, what they mean is that if you pay for 8 nights, you get a suit for 4,200 euros, which is 200 euros lower than their standard price.

Damn
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads