• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most common style mistakes

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Wearing tweed in town and under the age of 50

frown.gif

Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix
Pink shirts coupled with too many patterns in one combination:

laugh.gif

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

djlukin

Reaction score
1. Jacket sleeve length

2. Tie length (too short more times than not)

3. Shirts that don't tuck in correctly (way too baggy around waste)

4. Pants too long

5. Gross sunglasses

6. "loose fit"

7. Bigger men in slim fits.

8. Smaller men in regular fits.

9. Tie knots too loose

10. Gross over-use of simple knot

11. Simple knot with wide collars

12. Wrinkled ties

13. Cheap soled army boot style dress shoes

14. Sleeves too short

15. Neck too tight (more prominent than neck too loose for me)

16. Shirt/tie combo packages.

17. Tie chains (I really did see one the other day...)

18. Short sleeved dress shirts....

19. White socks in business settings

20. Wife beaters visible through shirts

21. Unbuttoned top button with tie

22. Any generic accessories

23. Button down collars with suits

24. Abnormally small tie knots (or large simple knots tied loosely)

25. Cotton chinos in a business setting.

I see all of these things so frequently

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
#1. Items with logos on blatant display.

Did I mention my new line of clothing? It's called "Corporate Shill." Tommy Hilfiger is bad with this, and D&G and CK are horrible too. Whoopee, you can afford a $60 (or whatever) black cotton t-shirt that says D&G on it. You must have good fashion sense.

Though in some cases it can bring out the style. RL's Big Pony's are nice and add a sporty touch to the shirt imo, and were the first company to really brand there Polos that way. Obviously though I don't see the sportiness of a giant Express Lion Logo on express shirts, or even people who I see buy that rip off USPOLO with the giant logo just blatantly telling the world you are trying to copy RL Polo.

But I do see your point, it is in most ways corporate advertising and on their part is very smart.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Biggest Peeves:

1. Calling Aeropostale, American Eagle, A&F, Hollister, Express, etc.. Preppy Brands or even stylish/good brands
  2. People who wear visibile undershirts under dress shirts, i don't need to see your white crewneck undershirt when you unbutton your collar
  3. Black shoes on Navy/Blue suits
  4. Ill-Fitting Clothes
  5. When it looks like Mom dressed you
  6. When you're income is $300,000+ but you are buying JCPenny suits
  7. People who bash people who do dress nicely, and coordinated. Nothing wrong with being a good dresser, especially if you are bashing someone and you yourself fall into #1
  8. When you say clothing brands don't matter and there is no difference between a suit from Express and a suit from Paul Stuart or RL
  9. Coming to a wedding with only a vest and no jacket to accompany it
  10. Not knowing how to tie a tie
  11. Think you are wearing a stylish blazer inside-out like Fresh Prince did in his highschool, your face looks like
    bounce2.gif
    but everyone else is looking at you like
    facepalm.gif

12. I can go on and on...

kook

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saturdays
Biggest Peeves:

1. Calling Aeropostale, American Eagle, A&F, Hollister, Express, etc.. Preppy Brands or even stylish/good brands
  2. People who wear visibile undershirts under dress shirts, i don't need to see your white crewneck undershirt when you unbutton your collar
  3. Black shoes on Navy/Blue suits
  4. Ill-Fitting Clothes
  5. When it looks like Mom dressed you
  6. When you're income is $300,000+ but you are buying JCPenny suits
  7. People who bash people who do dress nicely, and coordinated. Nothing wrong with being a good dresser, especially if you are bashing someone and you yourself fall into #1
  8. When you say clothing brands don't matter and there is no difference between a suit from Express and a suit from Paul Stuart or RL
  9. Coming to a wedding with only a vest and no jacket to accompany it
  10. Not knowing how to tie a tie
  11. Think you are wearing a stylish blazer inside-out like Fresh Prince did in his highschool, your face looks like
    bounce2.gif
    but everyone else is looking at you like
    facepalm.gif

12. I can go on and on...

...really?
eh.gif

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Biggest Peeves:

[*]People who bash people who do dress nicely, and coordinated. Nothing wrong with being a good dresser, especially if you are bashing someone and you yourself fall into #1

+100000000000000.

[*]Coming to a wedding with only a vest and no jacket to accompany it
I've been to weddings where people have worn shorts and sneakers and they bashed you if you wore a blazer.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kook
...really?
eh.gif

Yes.. are you really really-ing me? Black Shoes on navy suit is a mistake. Dark Brown (but not too dark) is the best way to go. Black should be reserved for black/charcoal suits.
Originally Posted by mkarim
+100000000000000. [*]Coming to a wedding with only a vest and no jacket to accompany it
I've been to weddings where people have worn shorts and sneakers and they bashed you if you wore a blazer.[/quote] Yes, and it was hard for me to understand why some people find it acceptable to do these sort of things, especially when they are people you know and maybe even hang out with often.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes.. are you really really-ing me?

Black Shoes on navy suit is a mistake. Dark Brown (but not too dark) is the best way to go. Black should be reserved for black/charcoal suits.

That is ridiculous. Brown shoes might be the choice that most people go with, but black shoes with a navy suit is about as classic and conservative business dress as you can get.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
That is ridiculous. Brown shoes might be the choice that most people go with, but black shoes with a navy suit is about as classic and conservative business dress as you can get.

Well this is an opinionated thread and that is my final opinion. To me it looks horrible like someone didn't have the time to think through and get the right shoes for their suit. I know black is suitable, but to me Brown is the way to go. The only time I wear black is when I don't have brown shoes available, and I feel like i'm committing a murder.

JGloger

Reaction score
Yes.. are you really really-ing me?

Black Shoes on navy suit is a mistake. Dark Brown (but not too dark) is the best way to go. Black should be reserved for black/charcoal suits.

I agree that brown looks much better with a navy suit, but I don't know if I'd go as far as saying that black shoes are a mistake. Maybe just not ideal.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JGloger
I agree that brown looks much better with a navy suit, but I don't know if I'd go as far as saying that black shoes are a mistake. Maybe just not ideal.

okay maybe I went a little too far to back myself up.

Mistake, no?
Occasionally, yes?
Preferably, brown..

JGloger

Reaction score
okay maybe I went a little too far to back myself up.

Mistake, no?
Occasionally, yes?
Preferably, brown..

I'm 100% in agreement with you on brown being preferable. The only time I'd choose black over brown with a navy suit is for a formal event such as an interview. It has almost gotten to the point where my black shoes are feeling neglected
eh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads