• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

matik23

Reaction score
The suspense is killing me....Must...not....click...spoilers....

Brian SD

Reaction score
Of course you can talk about the latest episode in the open - what I meant is that if you're going to use spoiler tags, especially without prior warning to the contents, people who are up to date on the show shouldn't be spoiled by clicking them.

Cool?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hey Brian,

While I do appreciate your keeping the book spoilers off of this thread, what is the policy on show spoilers? Is there a statute of limitations on how long after an airing we need to use spoiler tags to discuss that episode's content? IMO, a good 24 hours after an episode has aired, discussing it in the open should be fair game. I mean, at that point it's just common sense not to wade into the latest pages of a thread like this if you're not caught up, right?

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
Hey Brian, While I do appreciate your keeping the book spoilers off of this thread, what is the policy on show spoilers? Is there a statute of limitations on how long after an airing we need to use spoiler tags to discuss that episode's content? IMO, a good 24 hours after an episode has aired, discussing it in the open should be fair game. I mean, at that point it's just common sense not to wade into the latest pages of a thread like this if you're not caught up, right?
I don't know but I don't get into this thread inbetween the time the show airs and I have the time to dl and watch it. Seems like common sense. Just as not clicking spoiler tags when one doesn't want to have his experience spoiled, seems common sense.
Especially for someone like Norcal who seems like a an intelligent guy; being into geography and all
Next time I have the urge to add something from the books I'll try and remember to add bookspoiler above the
ffffuuuu.gif
tag. Or DCtSTS (for Don't Click the Spoiler Tag, Stupid). Seems more interesting that way, since this is the go to thread to discuss these things. Better?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
I don't know but I don't get into this thread inbetween the time the show airs and I have the time to dl and watch it. Seems like common sense. Just as not clicking spoiler tags when one doesn't want to have his experience spoiled, seems common sense.
Especially for someone like Norcal who seems like a an intelligent guy; being into geography and all
Next time I have the urge to add something from the books I'll try and remember to add bookspoiler above the
ffffuuuu.gif
tag. Or DCtSTS (for Don't Click the Spoiler Tag, Stupid). Seems more interesting that way, since this is the go to thread to discuss these things. Better?

Howabout you just don't post book spoilers at all? There is another thread for book vis-a-vis show discussion. A moderator has even asked you to post in that other thread when you "get the urge" to discuss the book. Is that too hard to grasp? People in this thread shouldn't have to guess whether the spoiler they're going to click on is about the show they just watched, or about what happens five episodes later via the book. The problem with posting book spoilers is that, even if you label them as such and take every precaution, some idiot might reply without taking the same precautions. There are too many risks and externalities involved.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i dont understand how brian could be any clearer

no book spoilers.
use spoiler tags to discuss the latest episode. use common sense for timing. a few days for ppl to catch up is nice

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
Howabout you just don't post book spoilers at all? There is another thread for book vis-a-vis show discussion. A moderator has even asked you to post in that other thread when you "get the urge" to discuss the book. Is that too hard to grasp?

People in this thread shouldn't have to guess whether the spoiler they're going to click on is about the show they just watched, or about what happens five episodes later via the book.

The problem with posting book spoilers is that, even if you label them as such and take every precaution, some idiot might reply without taking the same precautions. There are too many risks and externalities involved.

There are always idiots, but I'm not one of them. The idea that spoilers in this thread ar about the show they just watched makes no sense. What would be spoiled if if I posted
Tyrion was hit on the head and slept through the battle
? This is indeed hard to grasp.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
i dont understand how brian could be any clearer no book spoilers. use spoiler tags to discuss the latest episode. use common sense for timing. a few days for ppl to catch up is nice
ITT: We don't discuss anything. I really, really, (...,) really don't get how one would open this thread on sunday night or monday morning and expect not to be informed on the going ons. JDOtTS Of course, Brian was clear in that above was not what he meant.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
umm there were several dozen times when ppl used spoiler tags and i clicked it expecting it to be about the latest episode, instead i get **** like

don't click this spoiler tag unless you read the book
arya goes blind, joffrey dies, ned dies (talked about way before episode 9)

we have a book thread to discuss the books. go discuss it over there.'

maybe ppl want to click this thread so they can talk about previous episodes and what not?

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
umm there were several dozen times when ppl used spoiler tags and i clicked it expecting it to be about the latest episode, instead i get **** like don't click this spoiler tag unless you read the book
arya goes blind, joffrey dies, ned dies (talked about way before episode 9)
we have a book thread to discuss the books. go discuss it over there.' maybe ppl want to click this thread so they can talk about previous episodes and what not?

Since I don't want to threadshit; I'll try and make this my last post on the subject. If one reads Brians last posts to which you referred as being the gospel for this thread as well as being crystall clear, it's clear that posting on the last episode needs no spoiler tag. Why would it be reasonable to wait a couple of days, but not a couple of weeks before posting on the subject? I'm not the guy shouting scores of last night's game in the street, I'm the guy who taped the game and put's video in a box with 'Don't watch!' scrawled over it. Anyway I expect to be informed, annoyed, excited or grossed out when viewing something with spoiler tags. And I have been sorry for following links or looking at pictures. For instance, remembering the picture of the tree man or something still makes me a bit sad. Don't google it if such things affect you. But and also, it's not that important.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone remember in Book 4 how Tyrion and Bronn DP Catelyn while Tywin and Robb Stark watch and high five each other?

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Anyone remember in Book 4 how Tyrion and Bronn DP Catelyn while Tywin and Robb Stark watch and high five each other?

a_game_of_thrones_by_veganya-d3earjq.jpg

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Are we starting this spoiler **** again? Its like the True Blood thread all over again. Look people, if you don't want to know what's going on with the current episode, don't ******* click this thread until you've watched it. Simple. Tells the story.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are talking about spoilers from sections of the book that have not been broadcast. It's funny because there is a similar two threads deal on AVclub and people there can't follow the rules either. Everybody has to let everyone know how much they know, I guess.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS

That is the second NorCal reference in recent weeks that I just flat don't get. I suppose it must be a reference to my username?

Anyway, just post in the book thread if you want to talk about the books, it's not rocket science. and you won't find good discussion about the books in this thread anyway b/c most have not read them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads