• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

__PG__

Reaction score
lachyzee - were you there at lunchtime too? Wearing black thick-rimmed glasses?

I was the tall light-haired guy with glasses looking for suits for my short mate.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
lachyzee - were you there at lunchtime too? Wearing black thick-rimmed glasses?

I was the tall light-haired guy with glasses looking for suits for my short mate.

Nope, later in the afternoon. Don't think there was anyone else in there with me, same as yesterday. Very peaceful.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where do you gents find the time in the middle of a week day? edit: Ruzzi here are your rings
ring01.jpg
Actually, whenever there's an occasion like that, family always seem to just go to Hong Kong and get the rings made at one of the jewelers.

ruzzi

Reaction score
Pop quiz: Need to buy a wedding band.

Preferences: Platinum, relatively simple, modern, no stupid tiffany markup but not from a chain store like Wallace Bishop or Michael Hill Jeweller either (that doesn't go with my SW&D steez!)

Any recs?

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
Where do you gents find the time in the middle of a week day?

edit: Ruzzi here are your rings

ring01.jpg

Actually, whenever there's an occasion like that, family always seem to just go to Hong Kong and get the rings made at one of the jewelers.

blah - ya can't just grab a cheap Phantom ring out of a packet of Whizz Fizz and call it a wedding ring - or can you?

ruzzi

Reaction score
Blah - hahaha nice. Good tip I might just head down to Chinatown actually see what they've got

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ruzzi
Blah - hahaha nice. Good tip I might just head down to Chinatown actually see what they've got
Are you in Sydney? if so try Castlereagh Street, still a few good estate jewellers between Park and Market who will also craft to individual specifications. Many years ago I picked up a rose gold Cladagh ring for the missus there. Then had my mothers, her mum's and her favourite aunts wedding rings smelted and recast into two plain 18c gold bands for us. Also an interesting article in todays SMH about the closures of Colorado http://www.smh.com.au/small-business...615-1g2z1.html In a print article it listed the job losses in a variety of retail collapses, mostly due to bad management, but stated that only 5% of the population shop online and its only expected to reach 10% in the coming years.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ sounds like a place bogans would avoid.

__PG__

Reaction score
Let's see how the Lefty Coalition scrub up against the Righty Coalition at the mid-winter ball.
937500-julia-gillard-and-tim-mathieson.jpg
Tim Matheison. Good bow tie, jacket has notch lapels (at least they have silk facings) with 3 buttons...but he leaves the top button undone and intead buttons up the lower two. FAIL
winter-ball--1--600x400.jpg
Tony Abbott. Pears a classic peak-lapel jacket with some ghastly black paisley tie. FAIL
937076-kevin-rudd.jpg
Ruddster. Nice stud set, jacket sleeves too short. Not mad on the bow-tie. No cummerbund though..you are not Daniel Craig. C+
937114-malcolm-turnbull.jpg
1285757.jpg
All good....and judging by the 2nd picture he may be wearing a cummerbund. A+
937522-joe-hockey.jpg
Black shirt with black tie (with silver trim). Ghastly. FAIL
937562-wayne-swan-anthony-albanese.jpg
Rocking the double breasted look. Extra marks for perfect sleeve length. A+
937966-peter-dutton.jpg
Same as Kevin. Fat guys need a cummerbund. B+
winter-ball--5--600x400.jpg
Another example of why fat guys need a cummerbund. Plus your jacket is too long. C-
winter-ball--10--600x400.jpg
Looks like an IT-geek going for an interview. FAIL
winter-ball--4--600x400.jpg
Obviously forgot to read the invite. FAIL
winter-ball--6--600x400.jpg
Knows the rules..then breaks them. Needs a nicer pair of shoes though. B+

Selvaggio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ruzzi
Pop quiz: Need to buy a wedding band.

Preferences: Platinum, relatively simple, modern, no stupid tiffany markup but not from a chain store like Wallace Bishop or Michael Hill Jeweller either (that doesn't go with my SW&D steez!)

Any recs?

I go to Percy Marks in Sydney for Mrs S's baubles and they also made my wedding band. They have some massively expensive jewellery, but really they will make you whatever you want and that doesn't have to be expensive. They have been around for yonks and their customer service is great. Zero snobbishness considering that they are very much the Sydney old-money jeweller of choice.

I think the advantage of the really established places (eg Hardy Brother, Fairfax and Roberts) is you are going to get what you pay for.

If you want something a bit more modern LOVE+HATERED (Strand Arcade) do some interesting work.

Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads