• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mto shirt, ALUMO fabric review

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just recieved an order of mto Nordstom Exclusive shirts (new program for them), I thought they were a decent deal and should share the details. I am not affiliated with this company.

First off, the alumo fabrics are really, really nice. This fabric is by far nicer than what I am used too. I normally wear Canali and Zegna otr shirts and Talbott MTM, but the fabrics aren't as good as this nor are the buttons imo.

I ordered a "tailored" fit shirt and still had to have each side taken in 2 inches. I wear a 17.5 inch neck and 35" sleeve with a 35 inch waist, just so you get the idea. I wish the arm hole were higher, I like the longer length and the split back yoke. Alot of different options with construction, but I do wish it was more of a mtm program.

Overall, they are 149 dollars and alot better imo than otr shirts that I have been buying at 220+. Turn around time was 4 weeks.

Sorry about the poor pic, I put the cam on a timer and took it myself.

waywt023-1.jpg

waywt015.jpg

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good. Should take a pic with the shirt tucked in so we can tell how well tailored (or not) it is on the sides. Otherwise, looks like good fabric. Have you tried other MTM programs?

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Looks good. Should take a pic with the shirt tucked in so we can tell how well tailored (or not) it is on the sides. Otherwise, looks like good fabric. Have you tried other MTM programs?

Thanks.

I plan on putting up a few pics tomorrow...I was actually wearing jeans here but will take some with slacks and shirt tucked in.

I have done Robert Talbott MTM before, alot more sizing options with that program. However, these recent store brand shirts have the better fabric. I would do it again.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice looking fabric.

You and I share a similar need for purchasing MTM or custom shirts exclusively. I am a 17-17.5" neck and about a 32" waist.

Have you found any RTW options that come remotely close?

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
Have you found any RTW options that come remotely close?

Haha, I have been searching for the elusive RTW shirt for my build for quit a while. I bet you are really frustrated with your size.

The best I have found for me is Canali, I still need to get the sides tapered a bit but it is still good otr. However, they only come with a widespread collar lately and I have alot of those. There collars are kind of high though and I like that feature.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
I am a 17-17.5" neck and about a 32" waist.

Me too, and with 36 inch sleeves. RTW has never been an option for me.
musicboohoo[1].gif

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the close-stacked double-button cuffs. The fabric/pattern looks nice, too.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't doubt the quality, but the fabric is a little too busy for my tastes. I don't like it at all.

!luc

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
How were the buttons sewn on? cross stitched or crows foot?
Which is better, why?

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
where was this shirt made?
country of origin?

How were the buttons sewn on?
cross stitched or crows foot?

Carl

Shirt tag: 100% Egyptian cotton, Woven in Switzerland, made in Hong Kong. haha

Yes, crow's foot stitching on each button.

I am wearing a different one today, an Ecru colored shirt. I had edge stitching done on this one and I won't do that again as it just looks off to me...maybe I am just not used to it. Other things I have noticed, the shirt resists wrinkling really well, the collars can't handle a real thick tie as well as other makes I own.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That strikes me as amazingly cheap for that cloth. Maybe Alumo isn't as expensive as I'm imagining but if mytailor charges 125 for the most basic Thomas Mason that seems like a really good deal.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alumo, like all suppliers of cotton shirting, can provide a range of quality levels, if we understand quality in terms of yarn number--i.e., 100s, 120s,..., 200s. In my experience, all of it is good. I think that Carl and Alex would probably agree with that, although I don't want to put words in their mouths. I've used Alumo cotton in six MTM shirts now (by a local tailor), and the cotton has ranged from some very nice 100s pique up to their to-die-for Soyella Duecento, or 200s. There may be better out there, but somehow I doubt it, and if there is, it can't be much better!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads