• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odiv
Found my first Brioni! ... And then left it.
frown.gif

I've found a lot of Brioni ties have crazy old man patterns that are just not attractive at all. i think they are really specific to the person and unless they find that person they wont sell.

Originally Posted by inimitable
+1 A lot of the stuff that appears here is not particularly great. Seems people are just buying for the sake of a label. A lot of the shirts and ties look quite dated.

Would you buy any of this stuff at retail?

no, they wouldn't buy any of this stuff at retail, and the fact that they find brand name stuff in thrift stores means they wont ever again buy stuff at retail no matter how new or excellent it is. they are hoping in 25 years to find Tom Ford cashmere suits in their thrift shops.

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Digmenow
Was I wrong to leave it? I found my first ever Canali SC today. It was a 3 button single vent in a mostly grey small houndstooth. There was one moth hole about an eighth of an inch in diameter about 3 inches below the left sleeve head facing out, naturally. Nine dollars. At home, I googled reweavers in Maryland and only found 3. One has a great reputation but is only open Wed and Thurs so they didn't answer the phone. The second guessed $200 to fix. The last barely spoke English and said $8 or $10 It'll need around $50 in other alterations. Am I that desperate? Probably.
I think this is a good example of seeing a brand name and wanting the item to be great regardless of the aesthetics and inherent problems. Personally I'd never wear a 3 button and probably not a single vent and certainly not with a moth hole. Therefore it would get left on the rack, no discussion.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Avoncelli wool full-zip sweater
70/30 cashmere/silk striped tie for clintonf
A giraffe soft toy that my daughter took a fancy to

An Ex Parrot

Reaction score
Lucky bastard. (PM sent on the suits.)

Green with envy,

AEP

Originally Posted by csoukoulis
I ACCEPT

Todays Mini Haul

2 MINT recent belvest suits approx 42R if anyone is interested. both are 3btn double vented, working cuffs etc....
004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

Shirts
Mint BB
007.JPG

009.JPG

016.JPG

Mint CC Filson Co. sport shirt
013.JPG

012.JPG

Mint Robert Talbott
011.JPG

Lorenzini
008.JPG

014.JPG

MINT Thomas Pink
015.JPG

Robert Graham
010.JPG

Couple Ties
Haines & Bonner, Lands End
017.JPG

Scored these at the Brooks Brothers outlet for 50 bucks for both.
018.JPG

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by inimitable
I think this is a good example of seeing a brand name and wanting the item to be great regardless of the aesthetics and inherent problems.

Personally I'd never wear a 3 button and probably not a single vent and certainly not with a moth hole. Therefore it would get left on the rack, no discussion.

I agree with what you're saying - buy the item, not the label - but I also think hewing TOO closely to current style trends can be a bit limiting. Really, "never" a 3 button? There's nothing inherently wrong with 2 or 3 buttons - one can be okay in CERTAIN CASES but 4 is always going to look odd. The 2 or 3 choice is always going to be a personal option IMO. For that matter, there's nothing inherently wrong with even unvented jackets, or pleats vs. flat front pants.

Perhaps the best example is tie widths - some of the members who have been around for longer talk about keeping the wider or narrower ones in reserve as appropriate, since eventually fashion will swing back around. Not saying 5" or anything... but a 4" tie shouldn't ever be considered "unwearable trash" just because of its width. Neither should a 2.5" or 3" even when "wider" is in fashion.

So I guess in sum, if you think you'll have use *at some point* for an item, and the item is quality, you should pick it up. Not getting into "how to determine quality" but obviously it's not just label. Depending on your location, it may be worthwhile to hold out for slightly more in-style stuff - but honestly, the most in-style stuff is less likely to show up and more likely to be gone quick when it IS there.

On the moth hole: 100% agreed. It takes something awesome to even CONSIDER a reweaving - in fact I've never actually had it done. I'll darn a couple of holes on a cashmere sweater but much beyond that... reweaving is EXPENSIVE if done right.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Navi
Where do you live? British shirts such as CT and Pink are pretty ******* rare here. There's probably 20 people in my entire state who even know they exist, let alone donate them. I don't see alot of them posted in here either, compared to other brands.

I don't even understand the backlash for brands such as those. For the $30 it costs for one of CT's you're getting a really ******* good deal for your money. At thrift prices, forget about it!

I definitely can see both sides of this argument, but I tend toward being lenient on those that post things like CT and Pink (as long as they aren't accompanied by tons of photos). Like Navi said, getting a good deal for your money is bragworthy and paying $3 for a $95 shirt is certainly getting a good deal. Most of us are never going to see Kiton, Cucinelli, etc. in the wild, so allow us at least a modicum of joy when we find a Zegna tie we like for $5.
musicboohoo[1].gif

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWGP
I agree with what you're saying - buy the item, not the label - but I also think hewing TOO closely to current style trends can be a bit limiting. Really, "never" a 3 button? There's nothing inherently wrong with 2 or 3 buttons - one can be okay in CERTAIN CASES but 4 is always going to look odd. The 2 or 3 choice is always going to be a personal option IMO. For that matter, there's nothing inherently wrong with even unvented jackets, or pleats vs. flat front pants.

I think it's about personal preferences. I know 3 button doesn't work for me, so I wouldn't consider it at the thrift store even if it was a big brand name. I don't like dated looking ties, so I wouldn't buy one just because it was a Brioni.

I'm totally down for considering things like pleats or unvented jackets, but I won't compromise on good design by looking at things with inherent problems such as an 80's low gorge, moth holes or gaudy designs.

Your 100% right when you say buy the item not the label.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by davesmith
no, they wouldn't buy any of this stuff at retail, and the fact that they find brand name stuff in thrift stores means they wont ever again buy stuff at retail no matter how new or excellent it is. they are hoping in 25 years to find Tom Ford cashmere suits in their thrift shops.

Sorry, but just where does this bitterness come from, and why do you presume to speak for everyone in this thread? (And I take it we should avoid buying your second hand/discounted merchandise? In favor of the new and the excellent?)

Please, tell me more about my hobbies and spending habits. Your analysis is fascinating!

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by noobizor
Sorry, but just where does this bitterness come from, and why do you presume to speak for everyone in this thread? (And I take it should we avoid buying your second hand/discounted merchandise? In favor of the new and the excellent?)

Please, tell me more about my bobbies and spending habits. Your analysis is fascinating!

I didn't mean to generalize, i'm sorry if it came across as that.
there were a few posts a while ago about ridiculously low prices for big name brands and people didn't think it was worth it hoping that one day it would end up in the thrift store.
I just thought it was a pointless way of a person hoping to fill their wardrobe

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a circuit of 20 thrift stores that takes me about 2 weeks to cover. I've been doing this regularly since March and this is the first Canali sport coat I've found. Please note that I left it precisely because of the moth damage. Otherwise, it was a fine piece that fit generally well except for some length adjustments and was within current style norms. Meanwhile, I did pick up a gray wool / cashmere blend sport coat that needs no alterations and fits very well. The brand was a low end name which slips my mind at the moment. The lapel notches are fashionably high and overall fairly modern.

I would love to own the 3 button Canali. That's why I originally asked the question about reweaving since I have no experience in this type of thing.

Thanks to those who answered my question.

Hages

Reaction score
Spotted 3 XL Borrelli-Neiman Marcus shirts that were not my size before the weekend. Went down to UCLA for a graduation and stopped by a GW on LaBrea...fixed pricing,total crap. Went back to the shop yesterday and now down to 2 Borrelli shirts. I suppose I should grab them.

Navi

Reaction score
Saw this today, 'Jaeger' for Saks. Size 41R i believe. Should I have grabbed it? Had a pretty cool design.

IMG_20110614_172953.jpg

IMG_20110614_173000.jpg

Overcheck is electric blue and purple!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads