• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wanted: BMW repair cost horror stories...

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
You are right about that....these creatures all think they're professional F1 race car drivers though with their supercharge M3's and the like.

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
and do this too, immense fun. Don't worry about your car, a 2006 BMW at a CCA event would be nowhere the shittiest car there. I guarantee you that. Expect to see as many shitboxes as there are nice cars. Bonus, a lower powered normal car at a driving school is far better than a hi-po car if you are just learning anyway - the newbs who come in M3's and M5's, even the non-M+high powered Bimmers like a 335i - those dudes never get anywhere close to feeling limits of their cars because the performance envelope is too high for newbies. Always more fun wringing out lower powered cars on small tracks with a margin of safety, than getting in over your head.....

Yea that is basically a repeat of what my brother told me, and he's built 2 Mustangs from the ground up and has been a part of a few autocross events. I know I would enjoy it greatly but really my only reservation is that I would be doing this in my daily driver (and just paid off). It needs an identical twin haha

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
Do it man, you've got hardly any money in it considering your ownership, and it's got more left in it than 20-25K miles, I bet. I'd want them to go 300K if they could, I always felt that way about that era of BMWs. Keep it forever if parking isn't a cost problem, I regret selling my E30's for beans. Could've just left them with my dad and we could both still enjoy driving them now once in awhile.
frown.gif
My dad always really liked the E30's too, trying to get him to get into an E46 M3 and see if he likes it (he probably won't though)

Me, too. I had people calling from all over interested in it. That should have prompted me to reconsider.
frown.gif

EMY

Reaction score
Just picked up my e92 from the shop because it had the infamous "clicking rear differential" sound. They fixed the problem, but right when I started the car it made a valve clicking sound and disappeared when I revved high. Both of these seem to be common problems.

Valve clicking- auto and manual
rear diff clicking- manual only

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may be selling my '08 335xi with manual transmission, if anybody's interested. Fully loaded and well taken care of.

Can't add anything to the topic of discussion, as it's my first BMW and still under warranty. And whoever said a Nissan is more reliable - no ****! But I still prefer to drive a BMW.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1969
...and I just totaled my formally pristine 1984 325. Oh well, hello Mini.

frown.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
frown.gif

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

pgd3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1969
...and I just totaled my formally pristine 1984 325. Oh well, hello Mini.

Yikes, my neighbor growing up had a pristine 85 325i convertible. Had it till about 4 years ago, then it went backwards into an on ramp guard rail.

Beautiful car it was.

flyingjohn

Reaction score
auto repair
Originally Posted by mm84321
I have to go get new front tires for my 3 series. I guess it was my fault for never having them rotated; I just assumed the BMW service center would do that for me when it was necessary during my periodic oil changes and service work (my first car, so I now know better). Over $500 for two of those RFT, plus installation. Also need to replace the front bumper in order to reinstall a displaced fog lamp from a run-in with a raccoon this past winter. They quoted me at $1,200 for that. My warranty expired last month too, so hopefully they won't find something else that needs fixing. I have less than 50k miles on it; still runs like new.

I live in phoenix now and the stealerships out here charge so much just for the badge its crazy

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the most annoying thing about my 2003 3-series (happens with all models)...

The electronic windows fail routinely. I go to a mechanic that specializes in euro-cars and he replaces 2-3 of these a week. The way he explained it, a component breaks and causes the glass to slip off the track.

It costs about $200 for the part and anywhere from $50-100 for the labor depending on which window it is. I've replaced the front drivers side once, the front passenger side twice and a rear passenger side once.

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix
This is the most annoying thing about my 2003 3-series (happens with all models)... The electronic windows fail routinely. I go to a mechanic that specializes in euro-cars and he replaces 2-3 of these a week. The way he explained it, a component breaks and causes the glass to slip off the track. It costs about $200 for the part and anywhere from $50-100 for the labor depending on which window it is. I've replaced the front drivers side once, the front passenger side twice and a rear passenger side once.
Maybe you should take it to a dealership because it shouldn't keep breaking.... I took mine in (under warranty still) because the window wasn't riding smoothly and was leaving bad streaks in the tint. It looked like it was about to tear the tint in places. They replaced the entire window motor/unit thing and hasn't been a problem since.

.bishop

Reaction score
2001 bmw 323ci - 95k miles - transmission gave up. would go in reverse no other gear. (auto)

dealer stated it was a common problem - apparently GM made the transmissions, had to sell the car, cause the cost of doing a transmission swap wasn't worth the time/effort.

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix
This is the most annoying thing about my 2003 3-series (happens with all models)...

The electronic windows fail routinely. I go to a mechanic that specializes in euro-cars and he replaces 2-3 of these a week. The way he explained it, a component breaks and causes the glass to slip off the track.

It costs about $200 for the part and anywhere from $50-100 for the labor depending on which window it is. I've replaced the front drivers side once, the front passenger side twice and a rear passenger side once.

I buy the window regulator for less than 100 bucks (oem) and install it myself, very easy. So far 3 have been replaced on my car. Thus you are paying too much for the part.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 3-series window regulator breakage is actually a little tab breaking off a plastic part. If you feel ghetto, it can be replaced with a zip tie with no difference in performance.

--Andre

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads