• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTYGGG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Paradox_SWE
My first pair of Alden...
smile.gif
You won`t get your hands on these here in Skandinavia and i ordered a pair from Leather Soul, outstanding service by the way...

IMG_0732.jpg

Nice purchase! Enjoying wearing them they look great.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mistral
Well, shoe stores a billion, but none carrying brannock device.
my local Targer store has a brannock device

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTYGGG
How exactly do these shoe stores a billion measure your feet? I HIGHLY recommend having your feet properly measured BEFORE spending money on a shell boot. Getting advice second hand based on a Chuck Taylor sneaker is ridiculous. Just trying to save you the headache and expense of a sizing mistake in advance.

While this all might be true and I won't ignore the fact that you are right, the shoe stores here in Holland are more what you see is what you get philosophy. In other words, you try them on before you purchase a pair.

There are some measuring tools too, but it's nothing more that a slider on a plastic frame that you have to put your feet in, resulting in a measurement from front to end... It has nothing to do with the build of your feet. It's more the idea of putting a tapemeasurer under your feet and thus giving an " indication" on what size you need.

And I know, my question regarding the Chucks was ridiculous, but I need a starting point, right?

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And I know, my question regarding the Chucks was ridiculous, but I need a starting point, right?
I take a 12 in Chucks and wear an 11.5 in Barrie/Trubalance. I can also take a 11 in the Trubalance if I wear the boot with a dress sock. Trubalance is a large last. Im sure many people could size down one full size if they had to.

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triumphman
1/2 size down for trubalance for chuck taylors

Disregard this. I am an 11 in both Chucks and Trubalance. You need to get properly sized or at least get more reference points.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
dh56b.jpg

cigar ptb
argyles otc

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While this all might be true and I won't ignore the fact that you are right, the shoe stores here in Holland are more what you see is what you get philosophy. In other words, you try them on before you purchase a pair.

There are some measuring tools too, but it's nothing more that a slider on a plastic frame that you have to put your feet in, resulting in a measurement from front to end... It has nothing to do with the build of your feet. It's more the idea of putting a tapemeasurer under your feet and thus giving an " indication" on what size you need.

I didn't realize you were in Holland, I always assumed that you were American. Here in the US, just about every shoe store has that device to measure your feet with.

If you don't have easy access to one, at $20 USD, that one on Ebay is not a bad investment, since you will be spending about $700 USD on a pair of boots that you will want to fit you correctly.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The bra nock won't even cost $20 since you could resell it when you're done. If they are hard to cone by in holland you might even be able to sell for more

Shipping might be expensive though

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAMOR
+1. Why do sf'ers call mcarthur uncle?

McArthur is like the Godfather of Shell to us Alden Fans. He's an excellent source of knowledge/ advice (see "break in procedure" and "mac-method of care") and heck of a nice guy, besides that.

Just a sign of respect.

CTYGGG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sazon
McArthur is like the Godfather of Shell to us Alden Fans. He's an excellent source of knowledge/ advice (see "break in procedure" and "mac-method of care") and heck of a nice guy, besides that.

Just a sign of respect.

Uncle mac is a true gentleman with impeccable taste, and I'm proud to be a nephew.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if alden will refuse to do their restoration on a shoe that had been topied? I know the rules aren't hard and fast but was wondering if anyone had experience with this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads