• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most common style mistakes

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thicker clothing does not equal better clothing.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ajmanouk
Correct me if I'm wrong but believe that some people deliberately keep the stitching on the pockets (except for the breast pocket) in...

I do that actually. What style mistake is there when no one can tell anyway. I have my jackets' hip pockets unopened and some of my pants' back pockets unopened too. It keeps me from sticking my hands in those pockets or putting my wallet, phone or random **** in there.

What is a style mistake is bulging pockets everywhere.

LukeM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
I do that actually. What style mistake is there when no one can tell anyway. I have my jackets' hip pockets unopened and some of my pants' back pockets unopened too. It keeps me from sticking my hands in those pockets or putting my wallet, phone or random **** in there.

What is a style mistake is bulging pockets everywhere.

Bingo

lenahan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ajmanouk
Correct me if I'm wrong but believe that some people deliberately keep the stitching on the pockets (except for the breast pocket) in...

True, which is a valid option. But I am referring to those who don't open the Breast pocket.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NavyStyles
I'll count down:

3) A jacket that's too small. (when the guy reaches to shake your hand, and you can see half a foot of his shirt sleeve. Time to go shopping, bud.)

2) When people are underdressed. If you attend a nice event and you took time to look the part, you did so to make yourself presentable. I hate it when other guys don't even spend the time to look nice for something like a concert.

+100

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThatGuy
4. Pink shirts

5. Cuff links

-1. Two of my favorite things to wear...

andrew96

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo
deets on shoes?

Shirt and pants, not bad, shoes and belt, very bad. I can't stand belts like that(I don't know what they're called) that are just a chunk of leather rather than lined, I also think it's too wide. The cuffed jeans also bug me, like the shirt though.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*Goes to count the number of dive watches with suits in WAYWRN*
Sad but true
frown.gif

JJGooden

Reaction score
Dark shirt, dark jacket, and light tie. Reminds me of Regis Philbin on Who Wants to be a Millionaire.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Daseinflaw
What's that Seiko model?

SRK013P1

Originally Posted by andrew96
Shirt and pants, not bad, shoes and belt, very bad. I can't stand belts like that(I don't know what they're called) that are just a chunk of leather rather than lined, I also think it's too wide. The cuffed jeans also bug me, like the shirt though.

That's why I'm wearing it, not you.
bigstar[1].gif

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Square-toed shoes.
ffffuuuu.gif
And by square-toed, I mean those god-awful duckbill looking things you see all over the place.

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anything from Express. **** just looks cheap man.

omg I actually remember shopping there...I'm so ashamed!
frown.gif

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a good summary if you're just tuning in.

Originally Posted by GQgeek
1. the huge tommy logos or whatever. There are guys with winter jackets and the whole jacket is a TOMMY HILFIGER. I call them walking billboards. tons of indians did this in toronto when i was at school there. it was my #1 pet peeve and why i won't even enter the hilfiger section of a store.

A ton of Hispanics do this too. Please tell them to stop.

Originally Posted by Mike C.
White guys wearing FuBu.
The "Abercrombie look"

The term for those white guys is Wanksta.
I dislike Abercrombie because their shirts have sleeves that extend way beyond your hands and their employees are for the most part dbags (girls can be dbags too IMO).

Originally Posted by Europe's Finest

2. Too much jewelry

I can't stand gold. It's not to say it doesn't look good on some things or some people but, for me, I would take silver over gold any day. I've seen peeps wear their gold necklace around their polo collar and it causes me great grief. Do they want to mugged? IDK I can't figure it out.

Originally Posted by asdf
This is the oldest thread i have ever seen bumped.

Carry on.

with your permission good sir.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by SirGrotius

Cheap, ALDO shoes.

Essentially an expensive cheap pair of shoes.

#1 Style mistake is not wearing your **** with confidence.

Style is 80% from within and 20% in what you wearing.

Really? Could you wear Ed Hardy and still be confident?

Originally Posted by Patek
2.) Somone actually wearing a suit straight off the rack--including labels on the sleeves etc. I saw this more than once at a recent international tradeshow from various African delegations. I actually felt sorry for the countries that they were there to represent.

+1

They don't know better man. Is ignorance excusable?

Actually that was a terrible summary but it's just what caught my attention while speed reading LOLOL

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
Thicker clothing does not equal better clothing.

No or the Innuits will be the Luca Rubinacci of this world.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads