• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Highest-Quality Shoe Report Card (Lattanzi, Bontoni, Lobb Kiton, Berluti)

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Am I the only one whose "troll-dar" is going off?

More than 46 pairs and "trust me" coupled with "impressive to say the least". Why am I put in mind of an infamous ransom note claiming to come from "a small foreign faction"?

Gentleman's wager that photos somehow never appear.

ABALO

Reaction score
Yeah and very expensive as well for a "sunny and dry day only" pair...
devil.gif

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like other posters, I think the OP is way overrating Bontoni. I have a pair of Bontoni double monks. While I like them and wear them quite a bit, they are nowhere near Edward Green in terms of quality for the reasons mentioned. Possibly around C&J Handgrade and Weston. The shoes were killing me under the balls of my feet until I inserted two gel pads there -- I think they may lack a cork bed.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johninla
i really appreciated the site and the effort. just terrific. i, too, was wondering why EG didn't make the cut.

Well, some of us think that EG's are pretty heavily overrated on the fora. They're nice, but no nicer than a bevy of other shoemakers. I've also had durability issues with every single pair I've owned. I can't say that about Allen Edmonds or even Gucci, let alone Lattanzi or Reiter.

I don't know about Bontoni, because I've never to my knowledge seen a pair. Berluti...let's just say they will never find a place below my pants.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Well, some of us think that EG's are pretty heavily overrated on the fora. They're nice, but no nicer than a bevy of other shoemakers.
I have found them to be way above average in quality myself.

It's too bad you dismiss Berluti. They make a fine shoe as well even if not constructed to as high a standard as the better brands. I've had several pairs for six years now with regular usage and they are holding up very well. Their bespoke is very high quality as well. Berluti is a more stylish shoe for special occasions in my opinion.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I have found them to be way above average in quality myself.

It's too bad you dismiss Berluti. They make a fine shoe as well even if not constructed to as high a standard as the better brands. I've had several pairs for six years now with regular usage and they are holding up very well. Their bespoke is very high quality as well. Berluti is a more stylish shoe for special occasions in my opinion.

Their bespoke is just a shoe made in the StefanoBi factory. It is not real bespoke.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Their bespoke is just a shoe made in the StefanoBi factory. It is not real bespoke.

As Justine Frischmann sang, "Here we go again..."
nest.gif

To be fair, certain friends of the Pythia allegedly still are able to get bespoke. At any rate, AF, the bespoke examples I saw in the rue Marbeuf Berluti store a few weekends ago were OK, but they didn't look much different from the Berluti RTW and certainly didn't seem as majestic as the Lobb Paris bespoke samples.

I do know of one fellow who never seems to admit publicly owning Berluti bespoke who says that his one pair of Berluti bespoke is marvelously beautiful. He never mentions it on the forums, though.
devil.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Englishtea
Ludwig Reiter is my only Austrian shoe. Not too crazy about it. I will take photos when I get back to the City next week. I promise not to do it on and funky carpets!
crackup[1].gif

LR is nothing to get crazy about. But as I had recognized you prefer the Italian and English style. So at least JL St. James is one of the best choices.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
As Justine Frischmann sang, "Here we go again..."
nest.gif

To be fair, certain friends of the Pythia allegedly still are able to get bespoke. At any rate, AF, the bespoke examples I saw in the rue Marbeuf Berluti store a few weekends ago were OK, but they didn't look much different from the Berluti RTW and certainly didn't seem as majestic as the Lobb Paris bespoke samples.

I do know of one fellow who never seems to admit publicly owning Berluti bespoke who says that his one pair of Berluti bespoke is marvelously beautiful. He never mentions it on the forums, though.
devil.gif

That is correct. Apparently some people still do rate a true bespoke shoe. I have also spoken to the owner you mention, and as you say, he does rave about them. He concedes that they are too flashy for real life though.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
I'm a bit confused by a "fit" category for bespoke shoes?

Why?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kabert
Austrian = Saint Crispin's, perhaps?

St. Crispins headquarter is in Vienna/Austria.

The shoes are made in Romania, either their bespoke. Meaning the craftsmen derive from German and Hungerian descendants.

I have to admit that some Austrian manufacturies have their RTW's produced their.
The bespoke are produced in their origin workshops.

You knew that, didn't you.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maharlika
Nice to have a shoe connoisseur in the forum:)

A connoisseur for what?
rimshot.gif

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
No. The bespoke pairs I saw in London were the real deal. They were also quite beautiful.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I believe Berluti has an actual bespoke operatiom with lasts and all.

Unlike the controversial Vass.

Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
No. The bespoke pairs I saw in London were the real deal. They were also quite beautiful.

My understanding is that these things were true but are no longer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads