• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These are so good, wish I could still cop.

Originally Posted by eckblk
I vote for the carpes
laugh.gif

MOre CARPE Diem*images courtesy of Layers/Carpe Diem archive & Eastern Market

DSC_0464.jpg

IMG_0018-1.jpg

IMG_0028-1.jpg

IMG_0031-1.jpg

wogbog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
kind of in love with this tread

eckblk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wogbog
kind of in love with this tread
I'm glad you are enjoying it.
A Diciannoveventitre/Augusta/A1923*images courtesy of HLorenzo & Pollyanna
IMG_8467-q.jpg
IMG_0605.jpg
IMG_1690.jpg
IMG_1691.jpg
IMG_3699.jpg
IMG_3700.jpg
IMG_3726.jpg
IMG_3734.jpg

Fluery

Reaction score
I have nothing to contribute, but I just wanted to say thanks to eckblk for all the cool pictures and commentary - living vicariously through your boots is fun!

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why did Augusta change it's name?

Also, how does Marsell measure up to these other brands?

Also, quality-wise, how would you guys rank most of these brands?

CCP > Augusta > MA+ > Guidi > Marsell ???
Also include non-shoemaker brands like Julius, Virdi-Anne, Devoa, etc...

eckblk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO & from my experience: Carpe Diem > CCP/Augusta > MA+ > Guidi *some one else that has more experience with CCP may want to chime in. *I'm only putting MA+ behind CCP/Augusta because of the lack of a good year welt, the pair I owned were blake stitched. I have heard this is changing on some models for A/W 2011-12. There is a 3300usd derby
frown.gif
. I also hate putting Guidi at the bottom because they are such a good value. 2 pair of Guidi zip boots = 1 pair of Augusta
ffffuuuu.gif
The japanese brands are extremely well constructed riri zippers, some use Guidi leather nowadays, etc....- I'm guessing most come from the same factory? I've never handled Marsell but like some of their designs. Officine Creative, Buttero and F&B are all great alternatives IMO Not sure about Augusta- I've heard there was an issue with another company already using that name. Ask Curtis.
laugh.gif

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ahh, I didn't include Carpe since it's discontinued. How much did Carpe run? Pricing-wise, seems like:

CCP - Starting at $????
Augusta - starting at $2k
MA+ - starting at $1,500
Guidi - starting at $900

I've handled F&B and the quality really isn't as impressive as I had hoped, some of their leather felt and looked plastic. I actually prefer some of JVs mainline over most F&B boots. I just thought it would be better in person.

Originally Posted by eckblk
Not sure about Augusta- I've heard there was an issue with another company already using that name. Ask Curtis.
laugh.gif

lol8[1].gif
Maybe I will.

Abraxis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah guidi is by far the best value of the bunch at retail and on the secondary market and they offer so many styles, customization and all sorts of types of leather and color.

<3 guidi. I think the only thing that makes me sad about them is that I've heard the soles wear down really quickly, but I vibram/rubber heel anyways so it's a pretty small concern.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Abraxis
I think the only thing that makes me sad about them is that I've heard the soles wear down really quickly, but I vibram/rubber heel anyways so it's a pretty small concern.
So would you highly recommend that? I've been thinking about it for my boots but I'm not sure if it is ideal.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With new boots I personally like to wear them as is until the heel wears down a bit before I have them rubber heeled since they take a chunk off the heel off anyways.

Abraxis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think both me and eckblk do it compulsively. Many SZers do it too hence in for sale ads they advertise "Vibram'd since day 1". eckblk likes the Firm in NY which apparently based on what Chinorlz has told me only charges 20-25 per pair and apparently they do simply outstanding work. Maybe eckblk can confirm that estimate.

That makes me really think it might be cost effective if I mail out 2-4 pairs at once to get done given that my local place Mak's which was recommend to me by Arthur from The Archive in SF (awlouie) which charges 45 + tax for the service.

Mak does great work and has great turn around time, but I was a little bit disappointed by how much he tapered the sole on my guidis. So they sand the soles to get the vibram/rubber heels to match up with the sole and my now are a bit \\ / instead of | |. That and I'm not sure about the quality of "vibram"/heels they use. I don't know if they are superior in quality to vibram branded products or lower quality.

The firm also has the volume apparently to stock colored vibram products to color match too which I don't think Mak can offer.

Anyway, besides that tangent I think vibramming/rubber heeling is a must personally. I think a more interesting question is if you'd want the heel sanded down so that with the vibram'd rubber heel you want it to be the same height as stock (I.e. perhaps where the designer intended). I'm ocd about condition so I personally wouldn't ;p but... I think this might be something you want.

eckblk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Ahh, I didn't include Carpe since it's discontinued. How much did Carpe run? Pricing-wise, seems like:

CCP - Starting at $????
Augusta - starting at $2k
MA+ - starting at $1,500
Guidi - starting at $900

I've handled F&B and the quality really isn't as impressive as I had hoped, some of their leather felt and looked plastic. I actually prefer some of JVs mainline over most F&B boots. I just thought it would be better in person.

lol8[1].gif
Maybe I will.

I've seen CCP anywhere from 1700-2200 for new tornado zips. I'm not sure about Carpe Pricing; I'm guessing most iterations were 1300-1700 new. I've stories of them being marked down to as low as 375usd a Barneys back in the day....
frown.gif
frown.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Carpe Diem Washed Calf (i think)

img2683tx6.jpg

img2687dg2.jpg

img2689id3.jpg

img2679jw9.jpg

Abraxis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was waiting on eckblk to answer that since I figured he know better but I pretty much assumed that Carpe price was pretty "reasonable" despite being for the most part nowadays considered the "best" of that style of footwear. Different strength of the dollar, materials costs etc. and as far as my limited knowledge knows the market was less saturated so you have less people changing the pricing game.

It wasn't yet like pro sports where some new rookie or star player will net some insane salary which redefines what a elite salary should be.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
copyright issue

as far as quality, augusta is better than ccp IME. don;t know about most of the rest

Originally Posted by RFX45
Why did Augusta change it's name?

Also, how does Marsell measure up to these other brands?

Also, quality-wise, how would you guys rank most of these brands?

CCP > Augusta > MA+ > Guidi > Marsell ???
Also include non-shoemaker brands like Julius, Virdi-Anne, Devoa, etc...

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess I'll wear my Guidis a few times and then get it vibramed/rubber soled if they'll sand it down anyways. My main worry about getting vibram is that I don't want the sole to get thicker, I prefer the lower stance/profile of the boots. I probably wouldn't get rubber heels though, maybe just metal heel taps.

That's some crazy pricing on Carpe but I guess if it still exist today it'll probably be starting around $2k.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads