• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tour of Rubinacci workshop / Cappelli atelier -- June 2011

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just got to putting up the first blog post on my recent trip to Naples. I started with a write-up of my tour of the Rubinacci laboratorio. I know I can be accused of bias, but I think you'll agree that their setup is quite something. Everybody knows the prices are high, but I hoped to make it more clear what you're getting for your money. Every stitch in each jacket is by hand, except for the long sleeve seams and the center seam running down the back panel.

Here's some photos from the post:

lhworkfloor2s.jpg

lhworkfloor4s.jpg

lhworkfloor9s.jpg

lhworkfloor13s.jpg

lhworkfloor18s.jpg

I've got more to post about, including more about what I ordered at Rubinacci, and a visit to Cappelli. Stay tuned.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I enjoyed that. Well done. I look forward to the rest of your trip report. - B
+1

kcc

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Mat, great post. Mariano is always dashingly dressed.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks guys--glad you enjoyed it. There is much more substance in the blog post.

Beyond my two summer suits, I also ordered an overcoat, way too many ties, and about a zillion trousers that should be here any day . . .

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The most surprising and impressive thing I saw when I visited last October was a young, very hot girl working in room in which the three ladies are sewing (I think it was that room). I was generally impressed by the youth of the workers and encouraged that the tradition continues, at least in Naples. Did I mention that she was really hot?

And thanks for posting this.

kcc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Thanks guys--glad you enjoyed it. There is much more substance in the blog post.

Beyond my two summer suits, I also ordered an overcoat, way too many ties, and about a zillion trousers that should be here any day . . .

Speaking of which, what's a "lapped trouser seam" and its practical benefit? Or is it merely an asthetic factor? Glad you finally bit the bullet and commissioned an overcoat; now if we can get you into a sleeker shoe model, you'll be set with a complete look
smile.gif
. Also, is the fabric of Mariano's solaro suit cotton?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kcc
Speaking of which, what's a "lapped trouser seam" and its practical benefit? Or is it merely an asthetic factor? Glad you finally bit the bullet and commissioned an overcoat; now if we can get you into a sleeker shoe model, you'll be set with a complete look
smile.gif
. Also, is the fabric of Mariano's solaro suit cotton?

The long seam running down the length of the trouser legs are lapped, meaning that the seam allowances are folded over to one side (rather than splayed apart), and stitched shut. I don't know of a functional advantage, but it is more aesthetically in keeping with the lapped seams and double stitching in the jackets I ordered.

Mariano's suit is definitely Solaro.

As for shoes: Alden gunboats are the most admired shoes in Naples!

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A worthy adventure on any bespoke travelers "to do" list. I continue to be amazed at the quality and consistency of the product - fittings or not. It remains unequaled vs. the places I've ventured and observed.

Great post Foo.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
A worthy adventure on any bespoke travelers "to do" list. I continue to be amazed at the quality and consistency of the product - fittings or not. It remains unequaled vs. the places I've ventured and observed.

Great post Foo.

From what I can tell, everything get's a lot of careful consideration. Despite the increased numbers, it's nothing like an assembly line.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are the suits????

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Where are the suits????

Haven't taken any pictures yet, but whnay and Manton have seen one of them.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rufino
I have been there as well. An old salesmen was very kind and offered me to see the full building. I don´t like the shape of their jackets or shirts, overpriced as hell but their ties are very good. I bought a book as well about Rubinacci and ancient napoli tailoring. No one from Napoli wears Rubinacci but better tailors.
Overpriced compared to what? As far as I know, nobody in Naples does quite what they do in terms of service, and the prices are inline with what other internationally-renowned tailors charge. I've heard that bit about nobody in Naples wearing Rubinacci. It's both false and a terrible argument. As far as I could tell, every person who came to the shop while I was there was a local--at the very least, certainly Italian. Anyway, the number of Neapolitans wearing Rubinacci is as relevant as the number of Germans who drive S-class Mercedes. Given the prices, obviously there will be relatively few. It says nothing about the quality or regional legitimacy of the product. Actually, while I was there, an elderly Neapolitan came up to me at a cafe to compliment me on what I was wearing. He asked me where I got my clothes. When I said Rubinacci, he nodded in approval and gave me a thumb's up. While you were at London House, did you examine some of the vintage garments? They date back as far as the 30's. It's very telling how unchanged the contemporary product is. Also, why on earth would you pay for a book about a Neapolitan tailor you think is overpriced and not worn by anyone in Naples?

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice report - many thanks and looking forward to the next episode.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads