• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Emblematic / Club Ties

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grenadier
So was I wrong in thinking that most of the Polo crests were fictional?

The majority are real.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cold war painter
Well played, sir; I was struggling to think of a joke involving heavy pigments in suspension.

In light of your signature, not sure if serious.

I'm actually surprised how many of the American posters have come out against wearing regimental/club ties.

I am strongly against wearing regimental ties.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I am strongly against wearing regimental ties.

Me too...

It must be reserved to people having served in that particular regiment...

stinsonbass

Reaction score
Well I have a red tie which has a pattern of golden fleur de lis.. it actually looks quite cool but I wear it like once a year if I have a sudden urge to wear it.. I think that it was from J.Press

All in all I agree that emblems like the one from Polo could be a bit tacky (not always but they could)
And yeah you should buy one or two first and see if you are still psyched about it
smile.gif

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As much as I like the ones from polo I avoided them on the basis that they usually garner comments. It's rather annoying and I'm glad I simply had to explain those around the shop and didn't buy any. Some of my European clients pointed out the origin of a few of the crests and found them to be old english military and family crests.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm thinking of making a croquet emblem with crossed croquet mallets. I am a founding member of the Texas Croquet Society. I will grant even non-croquet players permission to wear it.

Would anyone buy such a tie? (six-fold of course)

Grenadier

Reaction score
I'd buy one as long as it's not in some color like hot pink.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It would probably be on a dark green background, like the grass of a croquet field.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
It would probably be on a dark green background, like the grass of a croquet field.
I've been instructed not to wear "muddy" colors. Will this grass be from before the game or after?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We're talking croquet, not rugby.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like club ties because they are easy to pair with striped shirts, even multicolored stripes.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
These seem like interesting chaps. Do you know what rules they play by? I play USCA 9-wicket.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
These seem like interesting chaps. Do you know what rules they play by? I play USCA 9-wicket.

I can't be sure. One article that I googled mentioned 6-wicket, 9-wicket and something called "golf croquet".

You be the judge.

This is video from the '08 Annapolis Cup. The Middies are the U.S. Naval Academy Midshipmen and the Johnnies are the team from St. John's College. Two schools are basically across the street from each other. You gotta love the guy around the 3:00 mark who says he feels like he's stuck in a Tommy Hilfiger catalog.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads