• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jslade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's pretty much on the money.
laugh.gif
The furthest I'll be going usually will be to the Ross building. I don't plan on trudging through any snow banks or anything of the sort. And mind you, I will be diligently studying.

The reason why I ask is because I picked up some Wings + Horns x Dayton service boots last winter, and the leather on them started to crack after I stepped in some snow (probably salted). I'd like to pick up some harder-wearing boots this time around. Can anybody recommend to me what kind of product I could apply to the Indy's I just ordered to keep the leather from degrading if it touches salted, dirty snow?

Thanks for the help, gentlemen! It's much appreciated.

Originally Posted by hooker4186
The boots will hold up fine. I wore mine throughout last winter through London and the Northeast US without any issue. Some folks have complained about the soles on the 405s not being suitable for slippery weather though. I haven't had that issue but your mileage may vary.

Originally Posted by HorseHide
I guess the big question is where/what are you doing in Michigan? If you're going to be eating Zingerman's corned beef sandwiches and pretending to study in Ann Arbor, they'll be fine (subject to the caveat that the previous poster mentioned about the soles). If you're going to be working electrical lines in the UP, get some Sorels.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jslade
Yeah, that's pretty much on the money.
laugh.gif
The furthest I'll be going usually will be to the Ross building. I don't plan on trudging through any snow banks or anything of the sort. And mind you, I will be diligently studying.

The reason why I ask is because I picked up some Wings + Horns x Dayton service boots last winter, and the leather on them started to crack after I stepped in some snow (probably salted). I'd like to pick up some harder-wearing boots this time around. Can anybody recommend to me what kind of product I could apply to the Indy's I just ordered to keep the leather from degrading if it touches salted, dirty snow?

Thanks for the help, gentlemen! It's much appreciated.

I'd put a treatment on any leather boot - I use SnoSeal and heat it in with a hair dryer. You may consider one of the several Alden Chamois leather or Kudu which will hold up fine in the snow and slush.

You need to rotate your boots if you're getting them wet - but I realize that's alot to ask of a college student.
laugh.gif

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've applied nothing (besides occasional venetian creme) to any of my shell shoes and they seemed to do fine in the Boston winter. I do wipe visible salt off with a damp rag.

Paradox_SWE

Reaction score
My first pair of Alden...
smile.gif
You won`t get your hands on these here in Skandinavia and i ordered a pair from Leather Soul, outstanding service by the way...

IMG_0732.jpg

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a stupid question. But does anyone know how Chuck Taylor Converse shoes compare to a pair of Alden's sizewise?

I've searched the internet and all it came up with was a"brannock device", a thing that unfortunately isn't lying around here... Or in a 100 km radius for that matter.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mistral
Sorry if this is a stupid question. But does anyone know how Chuck Taylor Converse shoes compare to a pair of Alden's sizewise?

I've searched the internet and all it came up with was a"brannock device", a thing that unfortunately isn't lying around here... Or in a 100 km radius for that matter.

You don't have a shoe store within 100 km of you? Where do you live?

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triumphman
1/2 size down for trubalance for chuck taylors

Thanks, at least I have a reference for now then... Is this also apliable to the Barrie last by the way?

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ +1 I am a bit of a newbie, but I really wonder about some of the people who post here and ask asinine questions.

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by commodorewheeler
You don't have a shoe store within 100 km of you? Where do you live?

Well, shoe stores a billion, but none carrying brannock device.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CTYGGG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mistral
Thanks, but no thanks.
How exactly do these shoe stores a billion measure your feet? I HIGHLY recommend having your feet properly measured BEFORE spending money on a shell boot. Getting advice second hand based on a Chuck Taylor sneaker is ridiculous. Just trying to save you the headache and expense of a sizing mistake in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads