• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newb Allen Edmonds questions

HughJ

Reaction score
Hi All:

I'm having a bit of buyers remorse on a pair of AE shoes I bought yesterday, and was wondering if someone could chime in with some advice on whether I should return them.

Essentially, I bought a pair of shoes one width too narrow because the pair that fit me better were dyed noticeably darker. Same model, both supposed to be burgundy, but a marked difference between the two. I'd go as far as saying the other pair could be mistaken for brown. Now they don't fit terribly, but it bothers me that they could fit a tiny bit better. Which brings me to my questions.....is this common for AE? If I return them for the slightly wider shoe, will the colour mellow out over time/wear?

Apologies if this has been covered. I waded through 8 pages of search results to no avail.

Thanks in advance.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
If it were me, I'd compromise on color before I'd compromise on fit. Unless you're getting a good deal, why compromise at all?

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by reidrothchild
If it were me, I'd compromise on color before I'd compromise on fit. Unless you're getting a good deal, why compromise at all?

x2

Did they only have one pair in your correct size?

Samovar McGee

Reaction score
The color probably won't fade out in an appreciable way. I think that fit ought to come before color, and even then, the nature of deals is that they tend to resurface from time to time. If you're patient, you could probably compromise less.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
use some darker polish on them for a while and they will end up a bit darker

tgt465

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
use some darker polish on them for a while and they will end up a bit darker

OP wrote that he wanted them lighter, not darker. Although there might be some small color loss if you only use neutral/clear polishes, you can't make shoes significantly lighter with polishing.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tgt465
OP wrote that he wanted them lighter, not darker. Although there might be some small color loss if you only use neutral/clear polishes, you can't make shoes significantly lighter with polishing.

You could try bleaching them by leaving them in the sun, I suppose.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by reidrothchild

This

HughJ

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. They're going back eventually, hopefully in an exchange. It's going to be painful staring at shiny brand new shoes and not wearing them until then.....but I suppose less painful than wearing them
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Achilles_
x2

Did they only have one pair in your correct size?

They had 3 pairs in size 10, the best looking being 10D, the best fitting being 10E.
Originally Posted by Samovar McGee
The color probably won't fade out in an appreciable way. I think that fit ought to come before color, and even then, the nature of deals is that they tend to resurface from time to time. If you're patient, you could probably compromise less.
You're absolutely right. I have a couple months to return them, so I'll keep checking back on their stock to see if I can't find a lighter pair that fit properly.
Originally Posted by JLibourel
You could try bleaching them by leaving them in the sun, I suppose.
This is also what the salesman suggested. The pair on display were the lightest to support this thinking, but I was hoping that someone could confirm with their own experience.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics