• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Drug testing at work

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
let's turn the question around.

Do you think people in certain professions should be randomly tested?

-how about police officers?
-firefighters?
-airline pilots?
-airline traffic controllers?
-judges?
-emergency room doctors?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only people that I think should be randomly tested for drugs are politicians.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
random drug and alcohol testing in the office and alcohol testing prior to boarding any helicopters.

the random alcohol testing really slowed down boozey lunches but now people just tend not to return to work if they have had more than a couple of pints

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there's also a lot of controversy down here at the moment about people using a synthetic legal marijuana on mine sites at the moment because it cant yet be tested for
facepalm.gif
morons

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gotlighters
Most companies don't do drug testing anymore because it's way too costly. I think they do drug testing only on people that have blue collar jobs.

No idea what you're talking about. It's very cheap.

Originally Posted by otc
piob- what did you test for?

I'm assuming you just got a "pass/fail" back from the testing company but could you give them guidelines?

Could you tell them you don't care about traces of pot but would prefer to avoid candidates with a mixture of of heroin, coke, and meth in their system?

If memory serves, you pick panels of drugs. So pot is part of panel and can't be sorted out individually. You're correct that they are "pass/fail" and you just get told what class of drugs they showed positive on.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
No drug testing whatsoever in my field. I'd say at least 20% of classical musicians occasionally have some fun with substances. Not sure about army/navy/marine bands.

Come on, seriously?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if i had to drug testing i would have no employees

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've had drug tests required upon being a new hire at two of my office jobs in the course of my career. I passed both of the tests, though on at least one of them, I have no idea how. I guess pot and/or coke don't linger in the system as long as it commonly assumed.

Wolfador

Reaction score
They do "random" testing here. Some guys have gotten 3-4 times and others like me never.

Two guys got a "random" test the day after they went to a Damian Marley concert.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
No drug testing whatsoever in my field. I'd say at least 20% of classical musicians occasionally have some fun with substances. Not sure about army/navy/marine bands.

I hear that beta blockers are big with this crowd. Slows the heart and helps keep hands steady.

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
if i had to drug testing i would have no employees

hahaha oh man that's crazy. Does doing drugs make you a bad person?

Originally Posted by Wolfador
They do "random" testing here. Some guys have gotten 3-4 times and others like me never.

Two guys got a "random" test the day after they went to a Damian Marley concert.

I'm betting you never saw them again lol.

What's this I hear about testing your hair (or hair follicles I don't remember) for drugs? For things like MJ, it's supposed to be extremely accurate in determing whether you've smoked or not.

Wolfador

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr.orange
I'm betting you never saw them again lol.

Didn't see them for a few weeks. (They offer a treatment program here, where you can keep your job if you complete it)

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr.orange
What's this I hear about testing your hair (or hair follicles I don't remember) for drugs? For things like MJ, it's supposed to be extremely accurate in determing whether you've smoked or not.

It works and the records are there for quite a long time.

I think most places will only test something like the first inch (or like 60-90 days of history) and ignore everything longer....they are pretty expensive though so you gotta have a good reason to do it instead of a urine test. You'd never use it in something like a post-accident situation where everything would show up in urine and lets be honest, most employers aren't looking for someone who has never ever touched anything...they just want you to be able to pass a drug test (i.e. you can abstain long enough to test clean).

Cutting your hair won't help unless you go everything. You'd probably think you were pretty clever until they just go ahead and grab some pubes and a chest hair.

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wolfador
Didn't see them for a few weeks. (They offer a treatment program here, where you can keep your job if you complete it)

that's generous on the company's part but, what if they don't pass next time?

Originally Posted by otc
Cutting your hair won't help unless you go everything. You'd probably think you were pretty clever until they just go ahead and grab some pubes and a chest hair.

LOL you heard it here folks. You do drugs, you will get busted.

All kidding aside, companies drug test to know if you are a trustworthy person. At least that's the experience I've had.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I get drug tested at work. There are random calls for getting tested. I don't work for the government, no I am not a blue collar worker. So, yes, it exists and yes, it does suck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads