• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers store annoyances

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a recent college grad and the SA's in the Boston Newbury Street location have always treated me with respect.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
You are a customer with specific wants and perhaps the staff that you dealt with were either not properly trained to serve or concluded your requests to be too burdensome to bother with.
Perhaps because of your young age, appearance or demeanor, they deemed you of no importance when, comparitively they can rely on lesser educated customers who will just buy items without questioning or demanding anything beyond what is on the rack.
In other words, either they were unable to assist you or unwilling. The fact that you have had better experiences with them leads one to infer that it was, possibly, the personalities you were dealing with and not the entire staff. As you know, not all sales staff are pleasant but neither are all customers. I have given the benefit of the doubt in your favour for my response.
May I suggest (if you haven't already done this) visiting the store on off-hours when they have less traffic and more time, and establishing a rappore with one or two of the staff. This would be an investment to better service and beneficial all around. BB on the whole, has a good reputaion for service.

good points

dasai

Reaction score
My sense of the sales assistant in the Japanese store I've been to is that he was quite knowledgeable and helpful, but didn't seriously expect me to follow through due to my age (I'm in my mid-20s) and the casual clothing I was wearing on my day off. I do actually intend to buy... but from the online store in the U.S., where the clothes will still cost less with shipping than buying directly from the Japanese storefront.
devil.gif

Stewie

Reaction score
Went into the South Coast Plaza store and was looking at their top end briefcase for my son who just graduated from law school. I was wearing 501 jeans and a plain T-shirt and the SA came up to me and said "We have some nice canvas models back here"
I walked out.

D.

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dasai
My sense of the sales assistant in the Japanese store I've been to is that he was quite knowledgeable and helpful, but didn't seriously expect me to follow through due to my age (I'm in my mid-20s) and the casual clothing I was wearing on my day off. I do actually intend to buy... but from the online store in the U.S., where the clothes will still cost less with shipping than buying directly from the Japanese storefront.
devil.gif

Ha! This is exactly my situation, and experience with BB.

vltsai

Reaction score
First post, woo!

It might just be your location. I go to the South Coast Plaza location in Orange County and I've always received stellar service - I don't particularly look like anyone that would drop top dollar on anything either. I feel that they generally assume, if you have a specific set of requests, that you are a serious customer. The very first time I walked into a Brooks Brothers, I was wearing a t-shirt and jeans, and it was late (towards closing time, I was in a rush to grab some clothes for a business trip). I don't think it has anything to do with age either, I'm 22 and I certainly look it. In fact, the sales associate made it a point to talk to me throughout the whole ordeal and make it a bit more personal. I went and visited the store post-trip to shop again and he remembered why I was there in the first place, asked me how my trip went, and etc. I have no complaints for service.

Though, the way you approached it sounds like the way I approach it. "Hi, I need a few shirts that are in these colors for this purpose, would you provide some recommendations?" They'll pretty much be on me the whole time.

But as it was stated earlier, maybe it was just the individuals you were dealing with. I'd be willing to bet it was more along those lines...go back and see how it goes. I think they pride themselves on that kind of good service.

Wolfador

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
...establishing a rappore with one or two of the staff. This would be an investment to better service and beneficial all around. BB on the whole, has a good reputaion for service.

This is very key. Once you have your go to guy you won't ever need to deal with anyone else.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
I've had really bad luck with Brooks Brothers. Here are some of my experiences ... tl;dr: BB sales staff treat me like crap. Anyone else?

Ask for Phil. He's a older (60s?), slightly frumpy SA there who grew up in the Northeast. When I last bought from him, I asked for 2" cuffs and little/no break and he started waxing about his youth and discussed how he and his brother used to do the same thing back when he was younger.

I used to be in the store enough that the manager knew my name. I haven't seen him in a while, though, so I wonder if he transferred. Recently, an older woman seems to be in charge there. While she's gruff and curt, she also will gladly cut you a deal if you're buying several items. Happened last time I was in there to get my wife some shirts.

Recently, though, it seems that there's been some turnover and a lot of the staff is newer, younger, and less knowledgable. The KoP store usually has excellent service and staff who knows what they're talking about.

I went to the Madison Ave store a few months ago and it seemed like the staff was paid to ignore and avoid me as much as possible. I had to chase one down to ask a question.

YMMV.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good and bad at BB, but mostly good as of late. The best and worst experiences for me have been at Chicago (Michigan Ave.) and NYC (346 Madison Ave.). Seattle, SF, and DC have been consistently good.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
I really think it's just the Philly bb now. I'm moving soon so whatever.

28... so not that young

I hate the Philly store and I unsually only go there for returns or alterations.

I usually drive out to KOP and deal only with Melanie Caltabiano. Even when I do on-line orders, I usually call her and have them place it.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've had great experiences with the KOP store, and if you are up for a ride the Bridgewater NJ store was fantastic to deal with.

If you would rather go to RL the philly store is great to work with, I've dealt with Sam, Max, Elizabeth (GM) and the new fellow and they're all fantastic. They've gone out of their way to help me as a salesperson so I can only imagine they're very helpful to customers.

john johnson

Reaction score
I am 26 and go to the BB in Dunwoody (Atlanta). I have had terrible service on many occasions and I also assumed it was because of my age and specificity of my requests.

I finally met an employee named Mark who could not have been more helpful, treated me with respect, answered all of my questions, and would follow up with a call if necessary. I asked for his business card and call the store in advance of going there. If Mark is not there, I don't go.

shonuf323

Reaction score
I've had repeated terrible service at the Madison Avenue BB. I could stand around for 20 minutes with none of the 3 SA's standing around the register bothering to help me.

BlackShoes

Reaction score
Something I have never understood is a business saying they will call you, and then not bothering. If something I want merits a callback, it is almost a given I want to purchase it, why don't they want to sell me things? Even if they thought it was unlikely I would buy, a call to ascertain as much would take all of 2 minutes. Are they just incompetent and lose my number, or stupid and dismiss the sale? In either case, I will certainly not call up to chase them about it, simply buy elsewhere.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads