• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Emblematic / Club Ties

Grenadier

Reaction score
Is it wrong that I have a sudden urge to go buy a half dozen or so? I am particularly fond of the numerous ties that Polo puts out with armorial devices, sometimes with stripes. But I get the feeling that they might garner more comment than is appropriate.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grenadier
Is it wrong that I have a sudden urge to go buy a half dozen or so? I am particularly fond of the numerous ties that Polo puts out with armorial devices, sometimes with stripes. But I get the feeling that they might garner more comment than is appropriate.

Do not ever rush into bulk purchases...

Buy one or two and wait if you still have the urge in a month or two...

Just a little advice..

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's wrong. Somewhere in the world there is a man who collects barbed wire. he's out there.

NYtoNC

Reaction score
I have a few emblematic/club ties, but all of them I relate to somehow either personally or through a friend. Not so much a fan of the standard polo ones, but I definitely like the look.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
I don't think it's wrong. Somewhere in the world there is a man who collects barbed wire. he's out there.

Barbed wire is more interesting than stamps ...
laugh.gif

Grenadier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint

Well now that you mention it, I do have a soft spot for the stuff.

BBC

Reaction score
Crest emblematics don't do much for me, but I have lots animal/fish/novelty emblematics - probably something like 20-25.

One of my favorites
store-tie.jpg

another favorite
2nb6807.jpg

TexasDan

Reaction score
I have a few emblematics. They are a nice change some days and work well with more casual suits. I am not a particular fan of the polo shield emblematics. There are quite a few sources for different types of emblematics. Good luck in your search.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Wear only the emblems of organizations to which you belong. Polo emblems or Brooks Brothers emblems are tacky.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Do not ever rush into bulk purchases...

Buy one or two and wait if you still have the urge in a month or two...

Just a little advice..

This.

Also avoid actual Polo logos or Golden Fleece, or whatever. I don't have a problem with generic, non specific shields, crests, etc.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
Wear only the emblems of organizations to which you belong. Polo emblems or Brooks Brothers emblems are tacky.

This is always solid advice. I think with "statement pieces" like emblematic ties it looks quite gouache to wear the crest of something you have no affiliation with. I consider it on par with wearing another man's initials embroidered on your shirt/cuff.

That said I have a few emblematic/club ties (fraternity, alma mater and social/country club) that I enjoy wearing in more casual situations or when I am present at a gathering where the ties will be recognized and appreciated.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have one - "School of hard knocks". I am of the feeling that you only get these to organizations that you belong

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads