• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Alex, that is a tremendously interesting find on the Scuttlers....i'm sure there arent many pics other than those but talk about a "lost cult"

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently they were a Manchester phenomenon.

scuttler-605x810.jpg

strangeways-605x431.jpg

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Trying to work out from the site whether this is an old announcement or a current one)

MaD Theatre Company
New Production

MaD Theatre Company presents
'Angels with Manky Faces'
a play about the 'scuttlers'
Britains first youth cult.

23 July - Liverpool
8th August - Middleton Arena
19th - 22nd August - Library Manchester
Matinee on the 22nd August.

mad.jpg

Worth a trip?

Who knows, in 100 years there might be a play based on 'Walk Proud'
laugh.gif

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Alex, that is a tremendously interesting find on the Scuttlers....i'm sure there arent many pics other than those but talk about a "lost cult"

reconstru_scuttlers470_470x303.jpg

Scuttlers as they might have looked

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couple more interesting books

The Likes of Us, A Biography of the White Working Class, by Michael Collins.

An Underworld at War, The Storey of Deserters,Spivs, Rackerteers, Looters , Fences, Under the Counter.
by Donald Thomas.

bunty

Reaction score
Youth Culture In Modern Britain, c.1920-c.1970

David Fowler 2008 Palgrave Macmillan

P1010310.jpg

page 8

P1010311.jpg

page 134

I'm not sure if the above is relevant but I thought it was a good point.

In '65, Mod was big business and so went underground again ?
(I think that's what is being hinted at.)

harrysgame

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
Got it. I think it was a bit of both ways. Robert Elms copied his big brother, I copied the jungle greens from other blokes when I got to London in '68 and I don't know where they got it from. At college there were a couple of blokes in 'greens & boots' who ran the karate club; they were total hard nuts! They were about my age, one was 18 one was 19. I knew one of the 'Smithies' from Deptford who wore greens and boots - they were younger. Blokes of all ages between about 14-20 seemed to be wearing greens or Levis with boots of one sort or another, even some of the greasers.

Am i right in saying Robert Elms was only 9 in 1969. How can anyone call themselves a Skinhead at that age.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kingstonian
A decent overcoat was easier to find in the High Street in the 1960s. Department stores' quality was lot better than today. So a decent wool Crombie style overcoat was readily available.

They were completely different to the sort of eBay tat for skinheads that you see today.

Did not have a Departmental Store,in the East End,so I went to an Outfitters.

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bunty
In '65, Mod was big business and so went underground again ?
(I think that's what is being hinted at.)

The idea behind the early mods was about style rather than fashion I think, hence I've always preferred the term Stylist really. I'd say it was about taking and influence and updating it ever so slightly every so often. Moving with the times, but thoughtfully so...

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
`65 in Carnaby Street was getting Commercial.It was slowly losing its grip.Mods were starting to look elsewhere-for their Clothes.As the saying goes..."You only get bitten once".The Tourists were coming in.

loempiavreter

Reaction score
Following the lin kof that scuttler pictures M-o-M posted I came upon this article:
http://isysarchive.tv/what-we-wore-4/

Looks like a colored girl in 1970, mentioned how she fiddled in the local youth club with the skins, watching spaghetti westerns (????) at the youth club for one etc.

And then later on she mentions a later look inspired by The Great Gatsby era. I've heard that before now, think from Roy? Sorry if I'm mistaken Roy.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by loempiavreter
Following the lin kof that scuttler pictures M-o-M posted I came upon this article:
http://isysarchive.tv/what-we-wore-4/

Looks like a colored girl in 1970, mentioned how she fiddled in the local youth club with the skins, watching spaghetti westerns (????) at the youth club for one etc.

And then later on she mentions a later look inspired by The Great Gatsby era. I've heard that before now, think from Roy? Sorry if I'm mistaken Roy.

Nice Pics, Not sure about the first one though, Never saw a coat like that in 70, The next pic down looks ok,
My Girlfriend and future Wife had a Afghan coat, can still remember the smell, She got it out of Kensington Market, Yes The Great Gatsby look was in for a while in 74.

Nice looking Girl, Wonder where she is now
smile.gif

albion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
Apparently they were a Manchester phenomenon.
scuttler-605x810.jpg
strangeways-605x431.jpg

The comedian Sean Hughes was a Scuttler! (Top pic)

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alex Roest
reconstru_scuttlers470_470x303.jpg

Scuttlers as they might have looked

As they might have looked if the shops had been full of Burberry shmatter in the 19c!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads