• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most common style mistakes

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThatGuy
2. Young guys dressing up in old man gear

4. Pink shirts

5. Cuff links

6. Bead bracelets. Absolutely horrific

facepalm.gif

2. Welcome to SF

4. Welcome to SF

5. Welcome to SF

6. Welcome to SF

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluesman528
Not in general. I can not think of any social situation within a metropolitan area - relaxed private parties, BBQ etc. naturally excluded
smile.gif
- where at least a casual type of suit is not appropriate and generally accepted. It's correct that there are people who will consider a suit wearer overdressed then but that is nowadays the case in any social situation, too. So why worry?
satisfied.gif

I cannot think of one situation outside of a job, wedding, or funeral where a suit would be more appropriate than a sportcoat, sportshirt, jeans, and shoes.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
I cannot think of one situation outside of a job, wedding, or funeral where a suit would be more appropriate than a sportcoat, sportshirt, jeans, and shoes.

Non-wedding formal parties?
Nice dinner engagements, either at someone's house or at a nice restaurant?
Opera/theater/symphony?

Obviously it varies city to city and individual to individual, but I think many people (myself included) would feel a suit more appropriate than sportcoat and jeans...or at the least, would wear some other trouser than jeans. I'd like to hear other opinions, though. I'm turning 30 this year and moving to DC, where I hope to find more occasions to wear suits (job does not require one) without looking overdressed.

sqweegle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
However, if both options are (more or less) equally acceptable, it all comes down to personal preference, does it not? Also i'd like to point out that shoes are not optional when wearing a suit. And jeans shouldn't be the default choice for any occasion. EDIT: "prettyboy" beat me to it...

Tez Mulan

Reaction score
LOL at the mention of Louis Vitton

A guy I worked with used to wear on a Louise Vitton tie, where the name Louis Vitton was inscribed 1000 times. He was a project manager who visited construction sites

OK mine... which is based around office wear

1.0 clunky soft shoes with a business suit - like thick soles, dull leather and made worse by any buckle or metal displayed on the apron

2.0 business attire with short sleeve shirts. the office isnt air traffic control pal
2.1 same for eppaulettes
2.2 two breast pockets with flap and button​

3.0 cartoon ties. Techhies are the worst culprits
3.1 gimmicky socks - like a colleague was wearing snakes and ladders socks the other day​

4.0 wearing a print t-shirt under a dress shirt - especially if its a really flimsy see thru dress shirt

5.0 navy blazers with metal buttons and anchors
5.1 any pocket badges / crests on blazers​

6.0 anything that resembles Hackett. Dont like that chino, blazer preppy look

7.0 the invention of dress down Friday. For some people this has become 'dress how you like Friday'. One guy came to the office in a Megadeath t-shirt

with respect to military style shirts..., I actually like this look in casual wear, but long sleeves!!!

barzen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MidfieldMan
A pet peeve - spread collar dress shirt with a big white t-shirt underneath.

old-you.jpg

+1

This drives me crazy, and I've started to notice it everywhere recently!
ffffuuuu.gif

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Clothes that don't fit. Whether that be that awful 90's trend of oversized tops, or trousers that are too long. 2. 'Carrot' fit trousers. 3. The whole grunge thing. You know, Raf Simons, Rick Owens ****. God, I hate that! It can be pulled off but rarely! 4. Wearing sports clothes when not playing sports/just dressing like a ******* r'tard and not noticing! 5. Logos/people who wear Crew, Jack Wills, etc because they think chicks dig it. 6. Chicks that dig guys in above. 7. When people throw clothes on the floor and ****! I'm a pretty tidy person, so that really pisses me off (I often fight the urge to clean their room)! 8. Bad ties. Some people are just blind!

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JapanAlex01
1. Clothes that don't fit. Whether that be that awful 90's trend of oversized tops, or trousers that are too long. 3. The whole grunge thing. You know, Raf Simons, Rick Owens ****. God, I hate that! It can be pulled off but rarely! 4. Wearing sports clothes when not playing sports/just dressing like a ******* r'tard and not noticing! 5. Logos/people who wear Crew, Jack Wills, etc because they think chicks dig it. 6. Chicks that dig guys in above. 8. Bad ties. Some people are just blind!
I cannot agreed more to the above points. Especially no.5+6, but I think no.7 do get gradually better when these women getting older. And Seriously I REALLY HATE people trying to convince Rick Owen's leather wear is the only good stuff offering in the market.....I want to show them my collection, from cheap second-hand horsehide to MTM Langlitz Columbia, they will see what a leather jacket should look like. I also cannot understand some UK students who can afford very nice causal clothing from rip off brands but not a decent suit, a girl told me for my chest, 36R, should get a 40R because it looks too small for me.....
facepalm.gif
I do think generally girls and women have very very very bad taste of men's clothing, I still remember my ex GF told me the pair of true religion jeans is better than a pair of 23oz jeans O well, that is why she is the history now
spam[1].gif

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThatGuy
1. Men who colour coordinate watch strap, shoes and belts. Be original and show some contrast.

2. Young guys dressing up in old man gear

3. Overly tight clothing. Seriously, how gay do you want to look?

4. Pink shirts

5. Cuff links

6. Bead bracelets. Absolutely horrific

7. Skinny Jeans

8. Deep v-necks

9. Scarves in summer

Precisely this amount of gay:

PAU0X.jpg

twistedSADISTIC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by add911_11
I cannot agreed more to the above points. Especially no.5+6, but I think no.7 do get gradually better when these women getting older. And Seriously I REALLY HATE people trying to convince Rick Owen's leather wear is the only good stuff offering in the market.....I want to show them my collection, from cheap second-hand horsehide to MTM Langlitz Columbia, they will see what a leather jacket should look like.

I also cannot understand some UK students who can afford very nice causal clothing from rip off brands but not a decent suit, a girl told me for my chest, 36R, should get a 40R because it looks too small for me.....
facepalm.gif

I do think generally girls and women have very very very bad taste of men's clothing, I still remember my ex GF told me the pair of true religion jeans is better than a pair of 23oz jeans

O well, that is why she is the history now
spam[1].gif

For me RO is the goto brand for leathers simply because of the sleeve length. I'm 6'4 but very slim and have very long arms. RO fits me absolutely perfectly whereas other brands in the same/similar price range do not.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ryan Rowe Crofton.
Originally Posted by Digmenow
The fit on that shirt is dialed in!
Aye, thank you. I am quite OCD about my shirts, because I do a lot of moving in them. The tighter they fit, the better they stay tucked in. This one was almost perfect besides the slightly snug forearms. I also like my sleeves to be a little on the longer side, so that my watch doesn't get exposed when I'm driving or otherwise stretching my arms.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
u might be the worst poster in this forum's history. and abc123 posts here. yes, rick owens and raf simons are grunge you dope. you should have retired after your waywt

Originally Posted by JapanAlex01
1. Clothes that don't fit. Whether that be that awful 90's trend of oversized tops, or trousers that are too long.

2. 'Carrot' fit trousers.

3. The whole grunge thing. You know, Raf Simons, Rick Owens ****. God, I hate that! It can be pulled off but rarely!

4. Wearing sports clothes when not playing sports/just dressing like a ******* r'tard and not noticing!

5. Logos/people who wear Crew, Jack Wills, etc because they think chicks dig it.

6. Chicks that dig guys in above.

7. When people throw clothes on the floor and ****! I'm a pretty tidy person, so that really pisses me off (I often fight the urge to clean their room)!

8. Bad ties. Some people are just blind!

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I swear in the past 2 months I have seen dudes dressed completely acceptable (not SF acceptable but schlub acceptable) and then I get to their shoes and they are wearing square toed Steve Maddens or whatever they are. Drives me nuts.

I also hate:
-Exposed undershirts with button downs
-Cargo anything (unless you're Brunello himself)
-Tucked shirts that could double as a parachute
-Being able to see where a guy's shoulders end and then see the suit shoulder begin 2 inches further
-Jeans with sandals (flip flops)
-Loud logos
-Gel-petrified hair
-The smug look on a dude's face thinking he is dressed up and looks great while wearing a Jos. A Bank suit 2 sizes too big for him

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads