• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Savile Row: the cheapest?

tennisguru

Reaction score
^^^ I have heard similar stories too. I think Patrick Grant (who bought the company a few years back) has been more focussed on other RTW projects like E.Tautz than Norton's recently (at least from what I hear and have read) which may have lead to a reduction in the quality of service.

cheers

ash

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So it's all about perceived cachet, just because a suit came from the Row.

kraftar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grammaton Cleric
They're 2.55K GBP excl. VAT

So A&S is pretty much the same price as Mahon, Steed, Stephen Hitchcock, etc? For some reason I always assumed they were in the £3K+ range.

tennisguru

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kraftar
So A&S is pretty much the same price as Mahon, Steed, Stephen Hitchcock, etc? For some reason I always assumed they were in the £3K+ range.

The prices I have for Steed are £2520excl VAT so £3024 and for Stephen Hitchcock £2170excl VAT so £2604. A&S would be about the same as Steed when you add VAT, but Stephen is undercutting Daddy by about £500!

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Are you?
Until I clean out the closets, I'm sitting on the side lines. But I am tempted to work with a "smaller" firm ... assuming firm is the correct word.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
There is no cheap option on the Row for bespoke...
devil.gif

laugh.gif

True. And they all seem to be getting more expensive every year.

More importantly, that highlights that cost alone is a pretty poor way to decide on a tailor, as these things can (and do!) change from year to year. I mean, obviously I fully accept that you need to be aware of a price range that you're financially comfortable with, but beyond that, using cost alone to decide on a tailor is likely to annoy you in the long term.

If you're seriously thinking about Savile Row suits, your acceptable price range is likely such that you can afford any of the tailors there, so pick the one you like best and if it's one of the more expensive ones (and you have an annual limit in mind) buy a little less frequently from them. One less jacket or suit every once in a while isn't important compared to being happy with what you DO have.

E TF

Reaction score
I had my wedding suit made at Timothy Everest, mainly on the recommendation of a colleague at the time. They were very friendly and helpful; the suit is great, quite light in construction (it was a summer wedding) and not too businessy as you mentioned about RA, but nevertheless with a bit of shape to it. It was less than £2k five years ago - they charge about £2.4k for a 2-piece now.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tennisguru
^^^ I have heard similar stories too. I think Patrick Grant (who bought the company a few years back) has been more focussed on other RTW projects like E.Tautz than Norton's recently (at least from what I hear and have read) which may have lead to a reduction in the quality of service.

cheers

ash

I have heard the same...

Since David Ward has left , it must be worse...

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tennisguru
The prices I have for Steed are £2520excl VAT so £3024 and for Stephen Hitchcock £2170excl VAT so £2604. A&S would be about the same as Steed when you add VAT, but Stephen is undercutting Daddy by about £500!

I think you're mixing VAT inclusive and exclusive prices here. Steed is about 2,100 excl. GBP for a two-piece, so he's about the same as the younger Hitchcock and Mahon. A&S is ~20% more expensive.

andreyb2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Originally Posted by agjiffy
Technically, A&S is no longer on Savile Row (and I believe that they are still more expensive than the tailors that I mentioned).
A

Yes, technically speaking agjiffy is correct, but if location alone deters one, that person is going to SR for the wrong reason. That said, there might be other reasons to avoid A&S; it all depends on what one seeks.

Sorry for being a pedant, but I believe that even technically speaking agjiffy is not correct.

That is, if "Savile Row" as in street address, he is correct.

But if "Savile Row" as in "Savile Row tailor" or "Savile Row house", then traditional definition of SR goes beyond a single street. Here is an excellent text on the matter.

As for original question, Kent Haste & Lachter used to charge 1950 quids for a two-piece (inc VAT) last year. This year, their prices went up, but as I understand, just a little bit (around 10%).

Andrey

tennisguru

Reaction score
A&S are members of Savile Row Bespoke Association as are Meyer & Mortimer (Sackville Street), so it certainly extends past the physical boundary of the Row. I believe the 'rule' for joining the Association was to be located within 300 yards of the Row as when Edward Sexton moved to Beauchamp Place he was no longer considered to be a member of Savile Row Bespoke.

Either way OP, there are lots of tailors who are Savile Row trained out there who will fit your budget.

cheers

crazey

Reaction score
So is opting for Norton a very risky thing to do? I remember walking past their store last month and loved what was on display. That said, I would hate to get a sub-quality product (or having to wait 6 months) after paying that much of money....

G

Griffindork

Originally Posted by Loathing
I have heard that, but I've never really cared about service as much as the actual product, and they'll probably be picking up their game a bit if they're had a rough time recently. But yes, it's still a point one has to bear in mind.

I felt that way as well until something went wrong with a bespoke commission. Once an error has been made, service and product become indistinguishable. I'm now willing to pay a premium for service.
A

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads