• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
I don't disagree with much of that--I even addressed his post earlier--but you clearly haven't visited some of the baller house threads in other subfora

TintoTerra

Reaction score
Aren't you the dude that lives in his grandma's basement?

Originally Posted by BB1
Clothing, cars, cigars, and iPads are different from real estate. They are all brand name products which most are familiar with, whereas most homes carry little meaning beyond imparting a suburban lifestyle that most here despise. Considering how most people have been conditioned to define themselves and express their "good taste" through their purchases, brand name products provide the better opportunity to do this than does real estate.

I highly doubt many here own homes worthy of captivating others interest similar to how a more unusual piece of designer clothing might. Even most relatively expensive houses are bland and uninteresting, sharing most of the same characteristics as cheap houses-- the key difference being that the more expensive house is bigger.

We don't want to see pictures of your new coat from Old Navy, so why would we want to see pictures of your cookie cutter McMansion in suburbia?

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
mmm, cp, blah, blah, blah. this place is turning into a sheep factory

ITT: a man gets so put out about other people's buying habits that he forgets how sheep are made

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why does everyone have the same "list"? mmm, cp, blah, blah, blah. this place is turning into a sheep factory. branch out people.
Here's a checklist to help you determine if an item qualifies.... 1. RFX starts buying the item in every available color. 2. The item begins frequently appearing in WAYWT pics. 3. Many of the WAYWT posters wearing the item have low post counts. 4. The forum starts to believe the item can be paired with anything. 5. A lack of critically towards the item ensues 6. The item will often be referred to as "a classic". 7. If you criticize the item, you will be attacked by an angry mob.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Here's a checklist to help you determine if an item qualifies....

1. RFX starts buying the item in every available color.
2. The item begins frequently appearing in WAYWT pics.
3. Many of the WAYWT posters wearing the item have low post counts.
4. The forum starts to believe the item can be paired with anything.
5. A lack of critically towards the item ensues
6. The item will often be referred to as "a classic".
7. If you criticize the item, you will be attacked by an angry mob.

lol8[1].gif

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Here's a checklist to help you determine if an item qualifies....

1. RFX starts buying the item in every available color.
2. The item begins frequently appearing in WAYWT pics.
3. Many of the WAYWT posters wearing the item have low post counts.
4. The forum starts to believe the item can be paired with anything.
5. A lack of critically towards the item ensues
6. The item will often be referred to as "a classic".
7. If you criticize the item, you will be attacked by an angry mob.

best post of the month.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shahanshah
I don't disagree with much of that--I even addressed his post earlier--but you clearly haven't visited some of the baller house threads in other subfora

The house threads in the other sub forums are different since the majority of the posters are MC guys which is a totally different demographic. Most of the people in the SW&D area are far younger and many appear to live in big cities where real estate is prohibitively expensive. Thus like I previously hinted at, buying real estate is not really part of their world.

Originally Posted by TintoTerra
Aren't you the dude that lives in his grandma's basement?

I actually own my own house and it's located in the woods, not suburbia. But if even if I did live with my grandma, what would your point be?

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
why does everyone have the same "list"?

mmm, cp, blah, blah, blah. this place is turning into a sheep factory.

branch out people.

Styleforum has operated like this as long as I've been here. The particular items change--Clarks and APC were the SW&D darlings when I got here--but the hype pattern has largely gone unaltered. I don't think that's exclusive to this forum, other online forums, or even groups of people. That's just how hype works.

I'm not particularly on board with some of the latest SW&D trends, but I suppose that's more a matter of personal taste versus backlash against the group mentality. It takes some skill to incorporate a lot of the baller sneakers lusted around here into an outfit without it looking affected. That's a skill I think quite a few posters here are lacking, but again, that's just personal preference.

The whole baller phenomenon that SW&D has gotten swept up in during the last year is generally tongue-in-cheek (aside from the occasional dense dummy who's missed the subtlety), so I don't get too up in arms when people throw around the whole "plebe / baller" rhetoric.

Where I think the relative newness of the "Styleforum baller aesthetic" is having a negative impact is with a lot of outfits from posters who are still getting acclimated to the aesthetic. Most SW&D-level outfits look best when they appear lived in. Not so much the "36-month-one-wash-beat-to-**** raw denim" lived in, but rather, the appearance that the person didn't just pull a bunch of pieces from UPS boxes, put those pieces on, and snap a shot for the internets. I'm digressing now, but my point is, some of those so-so baller outfits may look better as the individual pieces get worn, broken in, and obtain some additional character.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Styleforum has operated like this as long as I've been here. The particular items change--Clarks and APC were the SW&D darlings when I got here--but the hype pattern has largely gone unaltered. I don't think that's exclusive to this forum, other online forums, or even groups of people. That's just how hype works.

I'm not particularly on board with some of the latest SW&D trends, but I suppose that's more a matter of personal taste versus backlash against the group mentality. It takes some skill to incorporate a lot of the baller sneakers lusted around here into an outfit without it looking affected. That's a skill I think quite a few posters here are lacking, but again, that's just personal preference.

The whole baller phenomenon that SW&D has gotten swept up in during the last year is generally tongue-in-cheek (aside from the occasional dense dummy who's missed the subtlety), so I don't get too up in arms when people throw around the whole "plebe / baller" rhetoric.

Where I think the relative newness of the "Styleforum baller aesthetic" is having a negative impact is with a lot of outfits from posters who are still getting acclimated to the aesthetic. Most SW&D-level outfits look best when they appear lived in. Not so much the "36-month-one-wash-beat-to-**** raw denim" lived in, but rather, the appearance that the person didn't just pull a bunch of pieces from UPS boxes, put those pieces on, and snap a shot for the internets. I'm digressing now, but my point is, some of those so-so baller outfits may look better as the individual pieces get worn, broken in, and obtain some additional character.

Bolded also applies to the usage of swag. A lot of people are so ******* dense.

Also, MMM and CPs have been "in" for a very long time here, back when I still lurked without an account. Maybe not quite as prevalent as now with all the bros around creaming their pants over terrible colorways, but the best baller sneakers (white + black CP lows, white gats, black high tops etc) have been a favorite for way long.

Also have to take into account that it's summer. Honestly the only purchases I've made in the last few months have been low top sneakers and $3 hanes tees from Wal-Mart. Tough for recent purchases to be too interesting in this kind of heat.

Ascent

Reaction score
wtf. sell to me NOW. those are my size. i want them more than you.
Those gray ones i mentioned are in the BS, there are some blacks in the same size too from another seller, just have a look they're not old posts, gray 34s are 100, black 34s 120.
I bought +J Cotton Linen shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads