• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All Things Hippity and Hoppity

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not trolling. Stating a fact. It has some nice production. Beats/lyrics are lazy/dumb.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JapanAlex01
Not trolling. Stating a fact. It has some nice production. Beats/lyrics are lazy/dumb.
Yea this is pretty much wrong

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How so? Yeah, Illmatic was OK, but it is highly over-rated. Wouldn't mind if people didn't keep calling it the greatest hip-hop album of all time! That place, obviously, goes to It Takes a Nation of Million to Hold Us Back! Second would, probably, be Greatest Rap Hits Vol. 2. M.I.A.: Kala is up there, too, along with Kanye West: The College Dropout, Late Registration and Lil Wayne: Tha Carter III! What about LL Cool J: Mama Said Knock You Out? All I'm trying to say is that there are far better albums, for any best-of list, than Illmatic! God, what about Ghostface Killah: Ironman/Fishscale, OutKast: Stankonia, Eminem: The Marshall Mathers LP, Missy Elliott: This Is Not a Test!, Lil Wayne: Da Drought 3, Ice-T: O.G.: Original Gangster and Notorious B.I.G.: Life After Death? Illmatic is crap compared to these! Illmatic, The Lost Tapes, and God's Son were all average (bland). The first good album, Nas made, was Street's Disciple! Every album since that has been good! It's like he suddenly matured?!
tounge.gif

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You realize Illmatic completely changed the sound of NY overnight

It was/is technically brilliant, it was poignant + vivid in its imagery, and is immediately transportative

Maybe I am biased as Illmatic was the album that really fortified my love affair with hip hop

Or because I was a teen in NYC when it dropped

But its def not overrated. There are a lot of albums I'm not particularly fond of, but appreciate the significance/greatness of anyway.... Illmatic is like, the definition of that kind of album.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno, I understand if it was a cultural thing (you can't change that), but I just find it dumb. It is too simple/not very smart. Couple of songs, like the single 'It Ain't Hard to Tell', were good! It doesn't bother me that people like it"”I like it! But when people put it at number one (let alone in a top 25/50) it irritates me, because there is so much better/smarter hip-hop!

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Smart does not always mean good (or vice versa) in hip hop. And in any case Illmatic is a lot smarter than **** coming out these days.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Smart means everything, all the time, in all music?!
confused.gif
There is far better hip-hop from the 00's! I lol really hard when people think black and white films are bad, or old-skool hip-hop is better!
tongue.gif

B Hamilton

Reaction score
How so? Yeah, Illmatic was OK, but it is highly over-rated. Wouldn't mind if people didn't keep calling it the greatest hip-hop album of all time! That place, obviously, goes to It Takes a Nation of Million to Hold Us Back! Second would, probably, be Greatest Rap Hits Vol. 2. M.I.A.: Kala is up there, too, along with Kanye West: The College Dropout, Late Registration and Lil Wayne: Tha Carter III! What about LL Cool J: Mama Said Knock You Out?

All I'm trying to say is that there are far better albums, for any best-of list, than Illmatic! God, what about Ghostface Killah: Ironman/Fishscale, OutKast: Stankonia, Eminem: The Marshall Mathers LP, Missy Elliott: This Is Not a Test!, Lil Wayne: Da Drought 3, Ice-T: O.G.: Original Gangster and Notorious B.I.G.: Life After Death? Illmatic is crap compared to these!

Illmatic, The Lost Tapes, and God's Son were all average (bland). The first good album, Nas made, was Street's Disciple! Every album since that has been good! It's like he suddenly matured?!
tounge.gif

This is all just so wrong.

SeanathonHuff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SeanathonHuff
Elmatic 320 kbps http://www.mediafire.com/?7n9gyjmj1pla7cn
Originally Posted by driveslowk
^ Thanks, I've always liked Elzhi. His voice sounds a bit different.
Compared to the 90 and 2000s? yeah. This track jams though...
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kanye West: The College Dropout, Late Registration and Lil Wayne: Tha Carter III!

ffffuuuu.gif
knew i should never open this thread. boredom won. i weep for the youth of today.

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That place, obviously, goes to It Takes a Nation of Million to Hold Us Back!

This I will agree with.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scientific
ffffuuuu.gif
knew i should never open this thread. boredom won. i weep for the youth of today.

People who rule out great artists, just because they are modern, are ******* morons..! :/

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol @ Carter III, talk about overrated & "not smart"
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics