• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Middle Class Mind / The Wealthy Mind

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have any doubt whatsoever which class you are from, you are middle class. The poors and the richies know who they are.

I'm middle class as a motherfucker.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
If you have any doubt whatsoever which class you are from, you are middle class. The poors and the richies know who they are.

I'm middle class as a motherfucker.

I think a reasonably good definition of middle class circa 2011 is "A member of the working class trying to convince himself he's not."

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I am somewhat mesmerized by your avatar.

Koch fractal.

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Also, many of the themes of this thread are addressed completely in another sitcom, The Jeffersons.. (Manton, this show is not about Thomas Jefferson, but a descendant.) - B

Dy-no-mite!

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
Dy-no-mite!

Wrong show.
frown.gif

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
I think a reasonably good definition of middle class circa 2011 is "A member of the working class trying to convince himself he's not."

To be working class I would have to work.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
To be working class I would have to work.

Are you employed, sir?! Surely you don't go looking for a job dressed like that, do you? On a weekday?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Toward the end of the this eye opening visit, I asked: "Ginger or Mary Ann?"

Can you guess his answer?

Why not both.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What was the net worth of this Eastern mystic of yours, such that he was shod in such finery?

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you measure the net worth of the sky? Can you calculate the leverage of a soul in tune with the universe? You can't.

As to how the man came upon these mythical shoes, your science can no more explain that than it can explain how the earth came into contact with the sea. Some things simply are...

divitius

Reaction score
It seems like one distinction could be that the middle class/working class with debt mind thinks of itself as an employee of a business, while an upper class mind thinks of itself as a business.

wootx

Reaction score
Boys, boys...perhaps a story will help?

Many, many years ago (well, four years ago, but "many, many years ago" is a far more pleasing way to start a story) I was trekking in Nepal (an Asiatic nation.)

The atmosphere was thin and the sun bright. Tripadvisor noted that that the area in which I was trekking had an amazing llama (review samples: "OMG, the area in which I am trekking has an amazing llama!" and "+1" and "They missed turndown service.")

I asked the llama (the human kind, not the kind that spits at you when you prt it, or hums, or is ridden by RJman to work) many questions. He gave answers such as, "No, I wouldn't Tweet that pic," and "Leave the maid alone," and "Canucks? I hate that ******* team!"

Toward the end of the this eye opening visit, I asked: "Ginger or Mary Ann?"

Can you guess his answer?

He answered and I dropped my gaze. On his feet?

$500 shoes.

True story.

- B

Cool story bro. I reckon he was able to "afford" those shoes, because this is the real question

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads