• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys.

Originally Posted by nhannon
Contrast bar tack is a nice touch NOBD

Thanks. That's what I thought. I'm not sure why (besides that I love brown and blue) it had to be
cobalt blue, but that's what it had to be. I asked David if it was possible and he asked me to send
a photo for colour reference. That was this one (not mine):

KlTX7.jpg

It didn't have to be that exact colour, just a very saturated mid blue, and that's precisely what I got.

(Sorry for the long story about such a small detail, but I think it's great that personal wishes like
that are met with enthousiasm.)

mlongano

Reaction score
Here are a couple of match-ups I have or have on order for a sport coat I recently had made up...which do you like better, and do you have any suggestions for trousers...I was planning on a medium brown or khaki trouser: John G. Hardy 13 oz. Lambswool Sport Coat Fabric:
7706.jpg
Green cashmere tie:
cashmere-tie-7s.jpg
Brown pocket square:
Pocket-square-Thai-silk-33s.jpg
OR
7706.jpg
Brown grenadine tie:
product_image_17198_556.jpg
Green pocket square:
Silk-Pocket-Square-10s.jpg

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For that sport coat,green tie will work. Use some other color PS. I have a sample of that cloth,can you post the made up coat? Very curious to see it.

mlongano

Reaction score
Sure...here's a picture although the overall color in real life is a bit more mustard than this picture shows:

DSC_0220.jpg

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks,it is totally different from what I expected. Maybe I have a different # but it is very close to what you posted,do you remember the number of the fabric?

mlongano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
Thanks,it is totally different from what I expected. Maybe I have a different # but it is very close to what you posted,do you remember the number of the fabric?
Huddersfield Fine Worsted, Lambs Wool – 7706 – Brown Houndtooth Check

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlongano
Huddersfield Fine Worsted, Lambs Wool - 7706 - Brown Houndtooth Check

Yep,that's the one I have. Thanks for posting the picture,I will shut my mouth about the peak lapels
nest.gif
biggrin.gif

mlongano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
Yep,that's the one I have. Thanks for posting the picture,I will shut my mouth about the peak lapels
nest.gif
biggrin.gif

LOL, no problem...individual preference...I have all of my suits made with notch lapels, and all of my sport coats with peak. FYI, the real color of the fabric is close to the originally posted swatch in post number 173.

Navi

Reaction score
Amazing pics NOBD! Live the colors of the tack with that brown. What width did you choose, if you don't mind me asking?

You convinced me to ask relatives for a Hober tie for christmas, aha. Thinking of a bitter chocolate garza grossa, or fina? I have a navy Panta fina so I want to try out a garza. Thinking of a sky blue tack (or robins egg blue), maybe 3.2" for the width. Still mulling over some colors.

David, what are your options for construction? Do you make six/seven folds, unlined? I'm considering a lightly lined six fold, not sure if that will turn out too thick though. Great, great stuff. I covet your whole tie catalogue.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sam Hober

NOBD,

I also think about color quite a bit.

At the moment we are working on setting up a silk screen and dyeing workshop and I am planning our collection of colors for next year.

We will start with printing contrast edges for linen pocket squares.

Looking forward to that. I will immediately order a number of those.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3.15 inches (8 cm), Navi.

satanama

Reaction score
NOBD

That's a garza grossa grenadine, right? how about posting pics of the knot it ties? which color # is it exactly?

BTW, very nice tie. Congratulations!

Iñaki

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
Thanks. It's a garza fina, #5, Dark Chocolate.

A FIH (with the shirt I happened to wear when the tie arrived):

t4xaS.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics