• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bridle leather belt: recommendations?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking to order some custom bridle leather belts. I love the look of the goods at http://www.leathergoodsconnection.com/ but he is giving me grief about shipping to Japan.

Anyone have any other recommendations for hand-made (reasonably-priced) leather goods?

jeansandtshirt

Reaction score
Probably not what you are looking for, but Filson makes plain leather belts in bridle leather. I have one of their double layered bridle leather belts and it is a tank. If you want something plain you might want to check them out.

IGORSEMONOV

Reaction score
jeansandtshirt Probably not what you are looking for, but Filson makes plain leather belts in bridle leather. I have one of their double layered bridle leather belts and it is a tank. If you want something plain you might want to check them out.
The reasonably-price is concept relative. One variant it is the cut single-layered leather and make bridle belt. After that the cheap buckle is attached to this curve product . This way is chip with resonably prise.
Other variant it is the complex thing thought over up to everyone detail. Imagine if this thing contains two-rub layers of a high-quality material and buckle specially executed for this unique belt. This way is expensive but...
with resonable price to.
In my opinion these ways to compare incorrectly.
However I am assured that a belt it brought the owner long pleasure it should be very qualitatively executed. The belt should be to straight lines as a string. And deviations in width of a belt are look non ellegant and are inconvenient in use.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for a new casual belt. I like the Sugarcane Garrison belt below... the LGC one appears to be a more affordable, less rugged alternative.

I like what LGC has to offer... I'm a little bit turned off by the claims of "we sell for what you'd find for double the price elsewhere" - a little too used car salesman speak there. The quality could be top notch for all I know though. BTW, has LGC raised their prices recently? I read a post a few months back that the bridle leather belts were shipped at $44... now they are $58+shipping?

Is the only difference between the bridle leather and the harness leather the fact that the bridle leather is rubbed down with fats and oils to make it softer?

Anyway, any comments about these two belts?

Sugarcane:
img1059473167.jpeg

LGC:
handmadeleather_1937_14856

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Though neither handmade nor custom, Paul Smith always has a good selection of bridle leather belts.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Henryhibb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
I've been looking for a new casual belt. I like the Sugarcane Garrison belt below... the LGC one appears to be a more affordable, less rugged alternative.

I like what LGC has to offer... I'm a little bit turned off by the claims of "we sell for what you'd find for double the price elsewhere" - a little too used car salesman speak there. The quality could be top notch for all I know though. BTW, has LGC raised their prices recently? I read a post a few months back that the bridle leather belts were shipped at $44... now they are $58+shipping?

Is the only difference between the bridle leather and the harness leather the fact that the bridle leather is rubbed down with fats and oils to make it softer?

Anyway, any comments about these two belts?

Sugarcane:
img1059473167.jpeg

LGC:
handmadeleather_1937_14856

About the price... depends what kind you order. Plain belts are cheapest, Harness leather belts are more. I've been letting you guys get away with ordering plain belts, and in request window asking for un dyed leather, which means I use harness leather instead of the finished leather used for the plain belts. With Garrison buckle upgrade I think that comes to $37.75 including shipping. Shipping and international payment problems limit where I'm willing to ship. I've only raised the price on the hand sewn wallet lately... it takes an hour to stitch them and at some point you ask, "How much am I getting for this thing anyway?" Double the price elswhere? You do the math... I make it I sell it to you. Factories make them and ship them to stores, who sell them to you, they have been shipped half way around the world and have had all kinds of agents involved. As a result they use cheaper material because that is the only way to reduce the price which increases as a percent of the cost every time it changes hands.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Henryhibb
About the price... depends what kind you order. Plain belts are cheapest, Harness leather belts are more. I've been letting you guys get away with ordering plain belts, and in request window asking for un dyed leather, which means I use harness leather instead of the finished leather used for the plain belts. With Garrison buckle upgrade I think that comes to $37.75 including shipping. Shipping and international payment problems limit where I'm willing to ship. I've only raised the price on the hand sewn wallet lately... it takes an hour to stitch them and at some point you ask, "How much am I getting for this thing anyway?"
Double the price elswhere? You do the math... I make it I sell it to you. Factories make them and ship them to stores, who sell them to you, they have been shipped half way around the world and have had all kinds of agents involved. As a result they use cheaper material because that is the only way to reduce the price which increases as a percent of the cost every time it changes hands.

Henry, I own several of your belts (www.leathergoodsconnection.com) and they are my favorite casual belts, from among ~15 that I own. I also appreciate your service very much. When I had problems with a screw securing the buckle and suggested you simply send a replacement screw, you sent me an entire package of assorted screws. I'm no leather expert, but your belts are great and they're standing up to heavy use extremely well, too.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for coming on to the forum, Henry! I kind of suspect we generate as many annoying questions for you as we do purchases.
laugh.gif
I know LGC is most popular for casual belts, but I've been trying to decide between LGC's dress belts or Allen Edmonds belts. I don't suppose anyone can compare the leather quality?

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
I am looking to order some custom bridle leather belts. I love the look of the goods at http://www.leathergoodsconnection.com/ but he is giving me grief about shipping to Japan.

Anyone have any other recommendations for hand-made (reasonably-priced) leather goods?

Yes, this vendor is blunt too. What amuses me is this response:

Quote:
"no is no... simple as that. I also ship to UK and Australia because it works."

I think he needs to get out more often.

Vidi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
Thanks for coming on to the forum, Henry! I kind of suspect we generate as many annoying questions for you as we do purchases.
laugh.gif

I know LGC is most popular for casual belts, but I've been trying to decide between LGC's dress belts or Allen Edmonds belts. I don't suppose anyone can compare the leather quality?

I'm not an expert, but here's my experience. I own one AE belt and three LGC belts. Each LGC belt cost more than what I paid for the AE belt, and I'm planning on buying a few more from the folks at LGC at some point. The Allen Edmonds belt is fine for what it is, but I'm not thrilled.

Keep in mind, though, that I live in Seattle and work at a software company. I'm considered one of the well-dressed guys at work because my shirts have buttons and plackets (*gasp*) and I don't wear sneakers. LGC's dress belts might be wonderful, but I haven't ever seen them.

Also, for what it's worth, Bill at LGC treated me ridiculously well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads