• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Getting there...
CIMG0318.jpg
CIMG0332.jpg
CIMG0335.jpg

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oski
Good advice, thank you. I'm pretty set on a cafe racer and the look of Honda's initially caught my eye. How crucial is the weight of a bike when it comes to the overall riding experience and handling? I'm fairly new to all this, so any input from experienced riders would be great.
The 750 *** bikes are beasts. They're fine for a first bike as long as you're big enough to move them around. That said, I was probably 135 lbs. at 5'7" when I was 16 and got a GS750 as my second bike. They're pretty easy to work on as long as you don't mind cleaning lots of carbs when you're cleaning carbs. And they can get pretty quick with an exhaust and jet kit. I actually just bought another GS so I can ride two-up with my girl. I'll probably take it apart this winter and mess with it. I'm in Chicago, too, so if you need any help with anything, I work for beer.
CIMG0333.jpg

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thinking about buying a 1968 Triumph T100. Somebody stop me.

KnowYourRights

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
If someone tries to stop you, stab them in the neck. I have a '71 T100R. It's my favorite bike to ride in the twisties, in town...well, pretty much everywhere but the freeway. BUY IT! Is it the T100R Daytona? Or the high-pipe T100C?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KnowYourRights
If someone tries to stop you, stab them in the neck.

I have a '71 T100R. It's my favorite bike to ride in the twisties, in town...well, pretty much everywhere but the freeway.

BUY IT!

Is it the T100R Daytona? Or the high-pipe T100C?

High pipe T100. It's a beauty. Will try to post pics later today.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

laugh.gif

So how many is this now?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

How about you buy it and give it to me instead.

Bringing new motorcyclists into the world and all that...consider it a public service

KnowYourRights

Reaction score

Awesome. Is it a true T100C?

Would love to see pics. I love the 500 Trumps.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
laugh.gif

So how many is this now?

What's French Canuckistan for too many..
plain.gif

Awesome. Is it a true T100C?

Would love to see pics. I love the 500 Trumps.

Yep, see below. Believe it or not, still on the fence. Tip me over..

tri8.jpg
tri1.jpg

tri7.jpg
tri5.jpg

tri4.jpg

KnowYourRights

Reaction score
Looks great!

Of course, it's easy for me to say, "BUY!" But it all depends on the condition of the motor, price, upgrades, etc.

In general, though, the 500s are great bikes. They like to rev. They've got a shorter wheelbase than the 650/750 bikes, so they're super-fun in the twisties. Easy to work on. Easy to tune. The unit 500 lump was essentially unchanged throughout it's entire run.

I love my '71 T100R. When my club is hitting the hills, that's my go-to bike...over my Bonneville and my Norton.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks great!

Of course, it's easy for me to say, "BUY!" But it all depends on the condition of the motor, price, upgrades, etc.

In general, though, the 500s are great bikes. They like to rev. They've got a shorter wheelbase than the 650/750 bikes, so they're super-fun in the twisties. Easy to work on. Easy to tune. The unit 500 lump was essentially unchanged throughout it's entire run.

I love my '71 T100R. When my club is hitting the hills, that's my go-to bike...over my Bonneville and my Norton.

$3,500

Owner claims the motor was rebuilt, new clutch, etc. Bike looks a little rough, but I thought that was a good price.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
where do you keep all these bikes, gnatty?
eh.gif

And I think the rough French Canuckistan translation for too many is "de trop"
teacha.gif

KnowYourRights

Reaction score
$3,500 Owner claims the motor was rebuilt, new clutch, etc. Bike looks a little rough, but I thought that was a good price.
Seems a bit high especially for a Trophy. Daytonas (T100R) are the more valuable bike. $3,500 isn't highway robbery, but it's high. If he's got receipts for the rebuild--from a reputable mechanic/shop--$3,000 is fair, but still a bit high. I'd offer $2,500. If he couldn't produce proof of the rebuild, my offer would drop to $1,800...$2,000 tops. I still say "buy it," but haggle a bit.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Seems a bit high especially for a Trophy. Daytonas (T100R) are the more valuable bike. $3,500 isn't highway robbery, but it's high. If he's got receipts for the rebuild--from a reputable mechanic/shop--$3,000 is fair, but still a bit high.

I'd offer $2,500. If he couldn't produce proof of the rebuild, my offer would drop to $1,800...$2,000 tops.

I still say "buy it," but haggle a bit.

Yep, that's what I was thinking. Owner seems to be convinced this bike is worth $3,500 and would not take a buck less, so I walked. I'd probably have to spend the same again to get the bike to where I want it physically, and I don't have the time to do it myself. On the other hand, I have tracked down a 1960, restored to museum quality. Looks like it rolled off the showroom floor last week.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads