• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Net worth before you can "afford" $500 shoes?

LanceW

Reaction score
After being fed up with the construction quality of Alden, I began buying only RTW and MTO EG, G&G and JL.

My income is not sufficient enough to allow purchasing low quality goods.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
But in the end, it's a level of awareness which makes $200.00 shoes seem far more un-"affordable" than $500.00 shoes.

Really interesting post overall: I think you and I are on the same wavelength.

w.o.e.is.me.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See you at McDonald's.

biggrin.gif

linds_15

Reaction score
i get what the op was trying to get at, just think that there is no possible answer

if my disposable income a year is 10,000 but i vacation with a family of 4 every year i probably wont be buying 500$ shoes, but if its 10,000 and im single with a one bedroom and like buying shoes then id probably grab a bunch of pairs at 500. ever seen the guys that collect air jordans? most pay top dollar for them because its a hobby so they "save" for that specefically, net worth has nothing to do with it

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many times you can buy $500 shoes for less than $100. Anyway, the question is total bullsh*t
crazy.gif

ktrp

Reaction score
For young people, income is certainly the reasonable driver, not net worth, especially if you are buying a business wardrobe.

If you are young and just landed 200k job that's going to rise to 500k, and you need an instant wardrobe, I wouldn't necessarily think dropping 5k on shoes/clothes would be unreasonable even if you had negative net worth (go student loans!)

I also think a pair of $500 shoes is more reasonable then an ipad. I'm still wearing shoes I bought 10 years ago, I'm not using many electronic devices that are over 36 months old.

linds_15

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ktrp
For young people, income is certainly the reasonable driver, not net worth, especially if you are buying a business wardrobe.

If you are young and just landed 200k job that's going to rise to 500k, and you need an instant wardrobe, I wouldn't necessarily think dropping 5k on shoes/clothes would be unreasonable even if you had negative net worth (go student loans!)

I also think a pair of $500 shoes is more reasonable then an ipad. I'm still wearing shoes I bought 10 years ago, I'm not using many electronic devices that are over 36 months old.

100% agree with this. especially the ipad part, people dont think of electronics as investments because they obviously will be obsolete shortly after, but a good pair of shoes that last, well then i wouldnt really look at it as "expensive" at 500, when what you get out of them will be worth every penny

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Net worth before you can "afford" to wear a freshly cleaned shirt every day so that you don't have to go this route?
5042808597.jpg
5042808597.jpg
5042808597.jpg
5042808597.jpg

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
And the ability to drop Jane Austen references.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Not so much Jane Austen as a fair vocabulary, a determination to speak and write with some degree of literacy...and a working concept of "sensibility"--a word I use frequently and with "malice aforethought."

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not so much Jane Austen as a fair vocabulary, a determination (in a world of sound-bite attention spans and 140 character Twit limits) to speak and write with some degree of literacy...and a working concept of "sensibility"--a word I use frequently and with "malice aforethought."
FTFM

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^
Those words are unfortunately undermined by the grammatically incorrect full stop.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
For the record, I ate at McDonald's today. No one seemed to notice my shoes.
Are you surprised? Hurt? Secretly gratified?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics