• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Net worth before you can "afford" $500 shoes?

Stewbone

Reaction score
I personally have a low net income but I tend to buy my aldens by saving (+-)$100 a month. During this period of 3-6 months of saving I have plenty of time to find great deals on slightly used pairs to help save even more.

Barnabus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stewbone
I personally have a low net income but I tend to buy my aldens by saving (+-)$100 a month. .

Pretty much this for me too. It can vary depending on whether the person is saving up for it or not

If i cant find an steal on ebay i just save up my cookies

Its not a sensitive subject for me, Besides i'm young and good looking so
ace-ventura-hump.gif

lol8[1].gif

crinklecut

Reaction score
You know, Reevolving, you're kinda like one of the aliens from 3rd Rock, unsure of yourself and always trying to figure out what's technically correct or socially acceptable or whatever. I wonder where you are on the autism spectrum.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I want to buy something, and I have enough money for it, then I buy it. No further calculations needed. This applies to everything, not just shoes.

Doug11

Reaction score
I could buy over 30 sets of these shoes each month out of my take home pay - but I choose not to.

I scour thrift shops, online sales and only buy when I get a good deal.

Last 2 suits I bought 2nd hand off Ebay for about 10% of thier original price.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doug11
I could buy over 30 sets of these shoes each month out of my take home pay - but I choose not to. I scour thrift shops, online sales and only buy when I get a good deal. Last 2 suits I bought 2nd hand off Ebay for about 10% of thier original price.
What is wrong with you? You take home $15k and you buy your clothes at thrift shops? You must have a problem.

Galix

Reaction score
As a young person building up his wardrobe with quality clothes, I understand your concern.
So for me the limit is marked by: A. Percentage of net income (after taxes) and B. How much FCF you have.
For instance, I set every month a budget, which in my case goes: 33% rent + food + other essential things; 33% savings and 33% free cash I can spend in whatever I want, 99% of which goes to clothes.
That means that, for instance, if I want to buy expensive shoes (let's say some Carmina cordovan boots), I'm very likely to plan and save every month a quantity of my FCF and buy them. Or, buy them directly knowing I won't be buying more stuff that month.
So, where's the limit? Basically in the 33%. I take it seriously and so far haven't fallen into temptation to spend over that. And another gold rule for me: NEVER ever, under any circumstance, buy on credit.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ajhops
Interesting. 61 replies and almost zero serious answers. I think OP touched on a sensitive subject.

I reject the notion that this is an "unanswerable" question. This entire forum is based on opinion, judgement, evaluation etc. Thousands of so called unanswerable questions have been tackled here about cuffs, lapels, and bla bla ad infinitum.

People are happy to talk about the subjective question of taste in clothing. They are much less happy to talk about highly personal questions of financial standing and spending priorities, which are essential to give any kind of meaningful answer to this question. The question can be answered, but it's just not the kind of thing people have any interest in discussing in this venue.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say a net worth of $600. You could then buy the shoes and still have $100 if there was an emergency
teacha.gif

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
How long you think before this becomes a pissing contest? Or, am I too late?

Let's all whip 'em out and grab a ruler.

Except for Reevolving, of course. He just wants to see a bunch of men's linuses.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
What is wrong with you? You take home $15k and you buy your clothes at thrift shops? You must have a problem.
His "problem" is that he's a saver, that's all. He likes to optimize his purchases. Some people on SF are simply too poor to buy article X at retail. Others may prefer to thrift article X b/c it's more bang for the buck (2 used ties vs. 1 new tie)
Originally Posted by crinklecut
You know, Reevolving, you're kinda like one of the aliens from 3rd Rock, unsure of yourself and always trying to figure out what's technically correct or socially acceptable or whatever. I wonder where you are on the autism spectrum.
As per my comment above, I know what I can afford. Personally, I wouldn't spend $500 on shoes with anything less than $250k in the bank. Don't really care what anyone here thinks about that. But, it's fascinating to see so many people answer the question with "$500.01". It's a great insight into statistics like "70% of boomers haven't saved for retirement, etc" I definitely might have some sort of SF autism. I used to be a regular guy. Now, after coming here for the last 1.5 years, I'm buying $500 shoes that I don't even need.
Originally Posted by jrd617
1-star threak! Reev delivers again!
Like Geraldo, I ask the hard hitting questions that no one else can. Another 100+ thread, delving into the deeper issues at play. Now, you can go back to bashing Hugo Boss and critiquing suit fits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads