• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
My advice is to listen to the men who wear pants. - B
However, start pantless, and really be honest with yourself vis-Ã -vis the taper from your thighs to your ankles. As mentioned, immitation is the highest form of flattery. - M

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
jp.jpg

If you cut the heads off of this picture, it would be MBreinin and I having a conversation in Vox's closet.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink
New suit from Chan. These pants are definitely too full and will be slimmed. Also, not sure if a bit too much drape in the chest. Minnis 520, blue hairline shirt, and Drakes shantung silk tie.

q0yDr.jpg

XTtEG.jpg

aFi6e.jpg

WsWpr.jpg

When I go to Chan, I will take these pictures and say, "This. I want this." (Okay, maybe with a bit less break on the trousers...)

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
If you cut the heads off of this picture, it would be MBreinin and I having a conversation in Vox's closet.

He'll be here all night, folks. Tip your waitresses, and try the veal.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sugarbutch
When I go to Chan, I will take these pictures and say, "This. I want this." (Okay, maybe with a bit less break on the trousers...)

I think that Chan cuts a great jacket for Mr.Pink but as others said,I'd make the pants little slimmer and very minimal break. When are you planning to use Chan?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
I think that Chan cuts a great jacket for Mr.Pink but as others said,I'd make the pants little slimmer and very minimal break. When are you planning to use Chan?

If I can stop myself from wasting my shekels on impulse buys, I'd like to do it on the November swing through San Francisco. I'd hate to have to wait until March of next year. Plus, there's the conversation with the missus which starts with "You want to spend how much on a suit?!"

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On behalf of collegiate style, I ask that you: (a) Turn in your sacks, but after... (b) Ripping off the top button of your 3/2s in shame. I say this on behalf of GTH Pants guy (below), the Brooks, Press and Davidson families, and really, all that is holy.
jp.jpg
Pink: I think that the pants fall great (as a good bespoke pair with suspenders should), but, uhm, they could be a teensy, tiniest, tad-i-est slimmer to reduce the chance of becoming known as the Big Pants Man of San Diego City. - B

Whoa. I'm not saying all slim is bad. But there far too many guys on SF who, in Wodehouse's words, look like they've been poured into their pants and forgotten to say when. And anytime someone posts a pair of beautifully cut fuller trousers like Pink's, they get reamed for it. I have and wear trou that are slimmer than his, but I appreciate the artistry there and think SF needs more of it. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink
New suit from Chan. Minnis 520,

The colour of the 0520 is just great. Is it fully lined and with not too light a colour lining to avoid it showing through the fresco weave?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Mr. Pink, it's not so much a question of slimming the pants or not, but of giving them shape. Right now they seem to fall straight down (and come in a bit at the cuff). There should be some gradual decrease from the thigh to the shoe. Just think of the shape of your leg. The pants have a nice shape from the back. Maybe it's more an issue of ironwork than it is about how they are cut. Then again, I'm not a tailor so I have no idea what I am talking about.

Yep - it's the front line that's hanging out in space with no relation to your legs. It's a very nice suit anyway, but you can have a little less volume there.

On behalf of collegiate style, I ask that you:

(a) Turn in your sacks, but after...

(b) Ripping off the top button of your 3/2s in shame.

I say this on behalf of GTH Pants guy (below), the Brooks, Press and Davidson families, and really, all that is holy.

jp.jpg

Pink: I think that the pants fall great (as a good bespoke pair with suspenders should), but, uhm, they could be a teensy, tiniest, tad-i-est slimmer to reduce the chance of becoming known as the Big Pants Man of San Diego City.

- B

Or if you prefer the clever version.

I wore a pair of lightweight flannels yesterday in the CA june gloom with double pleats and a high waist - I down with wide leg. But you still need manage the silhouette as a whole.

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
The greatest offense in classless American is to be criticised by someone who has the outward signifiers of superiority (more knowledge, more experience, more money, better clothes, a better education, a bigger job, more intelligence - you name it). No-one is the boss of anyone; no-one is an expert; only God can judge me. To pretend to any position, any status, any knowledge, is to be an elitist. Fitting and ironic that an intellectual construct of the left has become the anti-intellectual calling cry of the right, but that's for another day.

TL; DR - hard to credit you with finding the mote in my eye when you can't see the orange creamsicle-on-newsprint in your own.

If you have nothing to say why are you here?

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
Meanwhile, back in the conservative business dress thread...

DSCF7793.jpg

The break ruins the appearance of the trousers. A different cut where the cloth flows out over the shoe would look much nicer. Even less baggy legs and it can be done. For how baggy the legs are the bottoms should be out over the front of the shoes more.

Overall it is nice cloth and style.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, when people whine in someone else's thread, and then the OP deletes their posts, the same guys will not whine elsewhere?

I admit it is an interesting theory.

Although, I suspect that you talk about whining, you are thinking of something different.

- B

Think of it as improved allocation and recognition of whining.

Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Maybe I'll just start a new one.
devil.gif

SF is crying out for WISWRN. Sometimes whatisjameswearing is down, after all
devil.gif

Originally Posted by mmkn
^ Not so much width of where lapels and collar sit in regards to shoulder length, but more so on the belly of the lapels themselves.

With DB there is a chance for curves, all over the place. With curves, I prefer them voluptuous.

Think Tom Ford or Edward Sexton, although not as swashbuckling as they.

- M

Originally Posted by CaymanS
This is really nice imo.

The choice of button combined with the narrowness of the lapel leave a decorative void at the waist, which I don't think works. Belly and the next button up would forgive a lot. I've always thought this cat nailed it:

1179GreyDBWeb.jpg

but his physique needs no tailor's magic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads