• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you wear Steve Jobs Outfit?

redsocks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by miurasv
I think it's cool that he dresses like that and I'm sure that he wears more stylish clothes when his mood takes it or when he feels it's appropriate. You've got to respect one of the most successful men in the world, ever, whatever his attire.

He always dresses like that in public. It's a uniform for him.

steve-jobs-flour-water.jpg

http://www.missionmission.org/2010/0...our-and-water/

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 951socal
he has arguably the best marketing team in the world, apple products after all are mostly the product of marketing.

so im sure the department looked at what he was wearing in the presentation.

i mean they look at customer walking patterns and the response to the design of the stores, optimize the stimuli in the store so hat customers are more prone to making expensive purchases.
use mid century modern furniture to present a modern/clean look to the store and stage.

you'd be a fool to think that they wouldn't look at every detail of their presentation of product, including what steve jobs is wearing

You're right: he has one of the best marketing teams in the world, and he's probably a marketing genius in his own right. But his outfit is still ****.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Loathing
^^ I don't understand that sort of bullshit deification.
He probably didn't even choose the furniture. He doesn't design Apple's products, after all.
If he was so omniscient, why couldn't he put together an iconic outfit that actually looks good? or at least fits?

Jony Ive, the guy who heads Apple design, wears pretty much t shirts and cotton pants, but he does have his moments:

3453126580_583d288181.jpg

Jony_Ive.jpg

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
According to that graphic, he's wearing almost $400 worth of clothing and looks like a broke college student with no interest in clothes.

Obviously he's gotten away with it and can wear whatever the hell he wants, but not a look I'd care to emulate.

kdv10

Reaction score
I read about his dress code sometime back in the Wall Street Journal.

It basically is about this.

When Apple was a younger company, their 'motto' was to always be different. To be above the 'PC' market. To be upscale. To price things way above the norm. It was a luxury / upscale item in those days and it came with a huge premium. And guess what . . . he dressed that part.

Since opening up the Apple universe to the PC world (think Itunes on Windows PC) and using common Intel Chips, apple is moving mainstream. As such, Steve Jobs dresses in common clothes that the masses can relate too. When the masses can relate to you, there is a higher chance they will buy your products.

And finally, that is his uniform. I'm sure he has 30 pairs of the same thing. It is also a statement to his success and leadership in the industry. It says, "I've paid my dues to this industry and now I can dress however I want."

Ropavejero

Reaction score
Steve Jobs should be definitely be commended for selecting clothing items that using the Goldilocks "just right" standard appropriately fit (i.e., he is not in the grubby looking grossly oversized and prison inspired garments or trying to squeeze into skintight jeans) and worn in a neat manner (shirt tucked in, shoes tied, etc.) suitable for any causal encounter.

While you personally might not have worn all three items together, I find it hard to believe that guys here have not at sometime worn: a mock turtleneck, Levi's blue jeans, and New Balance sneakers. Sure, the fancy turtleneck give the outfit a little class, but it is basically what a lot of men wear when they take the dog out for a walk. So, in answer to question, yes I'd wear what Steve has on and have on many occasions had on an analogous outfit with different color turtleneck, slip-on loafers instead of sneakers, etc., but for me it is not a daily "uniform" with the same colors as he has made it.

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kdv10
I read about his dress code sometime back in the Wall Street Journal.

It basically is about this.

When Apple was a younger company, their 'motto' was to always be different. To be above the 'PC' market. To be upscale. To price things way above the norm. It was a luxury / upscale item in those days and it came with a huge premium. And guess what . . . he dressed that part.

Since opening up the Apple universe to the PC world (think Itunes on Windows PC) and using common Intel Chips, apple is moving mainstream. As such, Steve Jobs dresses in common clothes that the masses can relate too. When the masses can relate to you, there is a higher chance they will buy your products.

And finally, that is his uniform. I'm sure he has 30 pairs of the same thing. It is also a statement to his success and leadership in the industry. It says, "I've paid my dues to this industry and now I can dress however I want."

god the WSJ is terrible.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think he dresses dad like. In a way i think it'll start to hurt the company. People loved apple because it was different. Apple now is a luxury brand which means people still desire apple products much women love their designer handbags and shoes. But at the same time, I think maybe people will start to find apple stale, steve jobs wears the same thing, the iphone looks the same from 1st gen to current. etc.

chet31

Reaction score
Yes, he probably doesn't drink the right scotch or listen to the correct music either, thereby impeding his sales even more.

LUBE UP

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CYstyle
I think he dresses dad like. In a way i think it'll start to hurt the company. People loved apple because it was different. Apple now is a luxury brand which means people still desire apple products much women love their designer handbags and shoes. But at the same time, I think maybe people will start to find apple stale, steve jobs wears the same thing, the iphone looks the same from 1st gen to current. etc.
The growth of Apple from an also-ran in Microsoft's shadow to one of the biggest and most valuable companies in the world within the last decade would seem to suggest the impact of his clothes is either negligible or in fact positive.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LUBE UP
The growth of Apple from an also-ran in Microsoft's shadow to one of the biggest and most valuable companies in the world within the last decade would seem to suggest the impact of his clothes is either negligible or in fact positive.
Turtle neck, dad jeans and sneakers has become part of Jobs' persona. When a person think of Jobs they would imagine those clothes - just about became iconic. I think Jobs in anything else would just about raise eyebrows.

And being armed with a reality distortion field, why would he need to care about how he needs to dress.
satisfied.gif

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by changy
What happened to the hair?

1990?
laugh.gif

And he wears it so people recognise him and talk about him and his products, he's a poor man's Michael O'Leary. Apart from the fact that he's very rich of course.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads