• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2017 MLB Season Thread

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back in the day the Dbacks offered Haren to the O's straight up for Brian Roberts. I wish we had made that deal.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MLB draft tonight. Perhaps two UCLA pitchers in the top 3 picks?

I saw both Gerrit Cole and Trevor Bauer pitch last year and you gotta see it live to appreciate how ridiculous it is to actually get a hit off these guys.

Was more impressed with Bauer as a pitcher, incredible control and threw his breaking ball for strikes in just about every count. Cole was more like... "LOL this guy is throwing 99 in the 8th inning"

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
MLB draft tonight. Perhaps two UCLA pitchers in the top 3 picks?

I saw both Gerrit Cole and Trevor Bauer pitch last year and you gotta see it live to appreciate how ridiculous it is to actually get a hit off these guys.

Was more impressed with Bauer as a pitcher, incredible control and threw his breaking ball for strikes in just about every count. Cole was more like... "LOL this guy is throwing 99 in the 8th inning"

Hard to get excited for the MLB draft. Maybe you'll a guy in 3 or 4 years. Meh, I say buy pitching rent hitting.

sexandcandy

Reaction score
Cliff Lee has 10 Ks in just 6 innings so far. This anemic Dodger offense is tough to watch.

guster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
Hard to get excited for the MLB draft. Maybe you'll a guy in 3 or 4 years. Meh, I say buy pitching rent hitting.

Good strategy. What's interesting is how shy many teams are from drafting high school pitchers.
Just too risky for many major league teams and they try to stay with college pitchers for drafting.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
was a great sports day today watching the sawx yanks game on tv and switching back and forth to the mavs heat finals game 4.

Textiera got pegged with a 94mph fastball right in the right knee and it hit pure bone too. was scary to watch, Tex was actually tearing/crying in pain.

That said lester did his typical thing this year and kind of have a super shaky 1st inn then settles down and plays it steady and safe.

I really hate the yankees, and looove seeing them lose to the Red Sox, but its really sad to see Jeter/Posada/ and now Arod showing their age. None of them can handle a good fastball, even Arod.

The scouting report on Arod is just to go with the fastball in full counts and these days he can't even handle the lower-mid 90's stuff. He can crush off speed/breaking pitches, but only when he guesses right.

I have tix to tomorrow's game but I'm dreading sitting in 95ºF night heat for 4hours then sardining into the 4/5/6 train with 45,000 other drunk and swamped assed stadium dwellers.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought this story from the draft was really cool.

The short version: In March, two outfielders from UGA collided while trying to make a play. One of the players (Zach Cone) was fine, but the other one (Johnathan Taylor) was paralyzed by the injuries he sustained in the collision. During the draft, Cone was drafted 37th overall by the Rangers, and then, as a kind gesture, the Rangers took Taylor in the 33rd round. The two players are best friends, and this gave them the chance to celebrate together.

This is a classy, classy move by the Rangers organization, and, should the Braves be eliminated before the Rangers, I'll definitely be rooting for the the Rangers come October.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's ridiculously cool.

I really want either a
1) Vin Mazarro or
2) Kila Ka'aihue jersey.

Also, don't sleep on the Royals being the worst team in that division, possibly the AL and I wouldn't even put it past the Royals to be worst in the MLB!

Well-we had a good start.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Remember when this happened:

^ They say you can't win the pennant win April, but you sure can lose it.

That ended quick!! In other news Zack Britton is a beast. See you in October O's!!

Wow, 16 to 5. The Red Sacks are done.

Also, the Red Sox lose again. I hope those paying attention realize that this season is lost for Boston.

Ed is getting pissed. His Loston Red Sux are garbage and so early in the season its evident. I think too many people were drinking whatever it is Peter Gammons drinks.

Nah Edina, you're failing.

Originally Posted by djlukin
Sox should be in panic mode. Toughest division in sports and a terrible record with horribly inconsistent play. I'm a huge Sox fan. It's horribly disappointing. Look for the Phillies to win the NL very easily. Rangers I except to slow down due to overall lack of pitching (except Feliz). Tommy Hunter had a good year last year but his stuff is hardly major league calibre. He'll drop off.

Originally Posted by StephenHero
The Royals are ******* people's **** up. Watch your back, American League.

The O's lose 8 straight and we're still up a couple of games on Loston. Edina, you got a real find in Bruce Chen though, it only took him 12 years to put it all together. He's looking like a world beater.

And then I said this:

Originally Posted by edinatlanta
And look at that, in one weekend the Red Sox have erased 1/3 of their deficit in the AL East which is proof that...STANDINGS THIS EARLY IN THE SEASON BARELY MEAN ANYTHING.

Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Just curious, and this is for all who post in this thread...in July if the team with the best lineup in baseball is 5 games back, do you say the season is lost?

Kindly shut the **** up about baseball if you do.

Should the Sox be worried? Well...yeah, anytime you go 2-8 you ought to have some concern.

Anyway, Rangers look great, but they lose Hamilton (again) for 6-8 weeks.

Just to recap.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
God damn Joba Chamberlain. ******* waste of talent.

by whom?

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a healthy bean ball war going on between the Sawx and Yanks.

It doesn't really matter though because the yankees have bigger things to worry about.

Again its reaaaaly sad to see Arod not be able to handle a 91mph fastball on two strike counts. I'm personally ecstatic because he's on the hook for 25-30 million until he's in his 40's.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
There's a healthy bean ball war going on between the Sawx and Yanks. It doesn't really matter though because the yankees have bigger things to worry about. Again its reaaaaly sad to see Arod not be able to handle a 91mph fastball on two strike counts. I'm personally ecstatic because he's on the hook for 25-30 million until he's in his 40's.
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

guster

Reaction score
More Slopho quotes....

"...following their team like Red Sox fans do because Red Sox fans are so use to losing that they want to see their team beat up on weaker teams in the division just to see the win"

This may have been true back in the 50's & 60s but Red Sox have had one of the better records in baseball over the last 35+ years.

"Screw that crap, I'm ready for opening day. Soon we'll sign Vlad and we're goign to be in 3rd, possibly second place"

O's currently in last place again. Now with that said and with some good young starters, I think you may only be a year off on your prediction here. The farm system was ripped in a few articles over the winter when they traded some arms for the veteran retreads they picked up. But yet they have a paid a ton of dough in signing bonuses in recent years. Outside of Machado ( & is he back yet?) is there some exciting talent emerging this year?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads