• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gassyndrome

Reaction score
Originally Posted by elvish
How "slim" are you? Eg a small or? Try lacoste platinum or whatever it's called; the silver croc.
I have the opposite issues.
I struggle to find a shirt that my chest arms and neck agree on. Everything is too tight but fits the neck then I size up and the collar hangs too low
frown.gif

Polo custom fit and Paul smith/canali slim is pretty much all that fits but the latter are far too much for my budget

6'3, 85 kilos and quite lean. I only think I have one shirt that fits me really nicely (an Oxford M) and everything else seems to be very puffy in the sides, oddly wraps around the front of my shoulders and has giant puffy arms.

Even a Lewin John Francomb fully fitted (their closest fit) has the odd shoulders and big arms, even with the collar probably a tad too small for me.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
Luisa's is previewing their winter sale at their North Road warehouse from Thursday.

They don't have a huge amount of SF-approved lines, but they do carry a fair bit of Pal Zileri, shoes by Church's and Trickers, and some other stuff.

I went along last night. As I'd expected, not a huge amount of SF-approved goods. Their days as a Santoni goldmine are long gone. I think they are moving gradually towards being a women-only outlet too.

They had 50% off all shoes. Quite a few Church's in limited sizes. The odd Trickers, A. Testoni and Burberry. Plenty of Moreschi, Gucci and Prada, which are not really my thing. Upstairs they have a bunch of old stock casual shoes for $90, including a few Santoni Clubs.

Over the way is the Italian Imports shop. They had a fair bit of Pal Zileri and Valentino stuff. 40% of all clothing, 30% off belts. The sale stock upstairs was all a further 10% off the sale price. I saw a Pal Zileri suit up there for about $650 after discount, for example. They had some Canali ties, but these were only discounted to $90, which didn't seem that good a deal. Other brands they stock include Missoni, Trussardi, D&G and Cavalli.

I ended up buying some Zileri knitwear and a Ferre belt. (I'm desperate for new belts). I might have bitten on a suit, but I have only just bought one from B&S, and didn't want to face the spousal wrath that might have followed.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ Journeyman:

"Jetstar is having a sale at present - you can fly two people to Tokyo for a total of $469 each way." -- errr, are they? I can't get anything like those kinds of prices out of the website (albeit flying from Melbourne)...

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tobiasj
@ Journeyman:

"Jetstar is having a sale at present - you can fly two people to Tokyo for a total of $469 each way." -- errr, are they? I can't get anything like those kinds of prices out of the website (albeit flying from Melbourne)...

I'm not sure who has what but my mate a whileback got tickets to Osaka @$650 or so return

edit - quick search = Melbourne to Tokyo Includes: Return economy class airfare flying Malaysia Airlines to Tokyo per person. Prepaid taxes. Terms and conditions apply. Listed 09/06/2011\t 16/07/11 14/09/11 fr $758*

elvish

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
I'm not sure who has what but my mate a whileback got tickets to Osaka @$650 or so return

edit - quick search = Melbourne to Tokyo Includes: Return economy class airfare flying Malaysia Airlines to Tokyo per person. Prepaid taxes. Terms and conditions apply. Listed 09/06/2011\t 16/07/11 14/09/11 fr $758*

I think he was referring to the take a friend for free deal..

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh ok. That take a friend deal expired yesterday, afaik.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a question: I just got a jacket from LL Bean (this, fwiw) that needs taking in. I normally use Katrina's, but I've only used them for hemming trousers, and on this jacket I really need some advice -- I don't know exactly what needs doing. Anyone got a tailor recommendation for this kind of thing?

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tobiasj
I have a question: I just got a jacket from LL Bean (this, fwiw) that needs taking in. I normally use Katrina's, but I've only used them for hemming trousers, and on this jacket I really need some advice -- I don't know exactly what needs doing. Anyone got a tailor recommendation for this kind of thing?

I have had almost every OTR suit jacket I own altered at Katrina's with nothing but excellent results.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Met with Stuart from NiAlma last night. He's a really nice guy and knows his stuff very well. He's a part owner and his business partner is based in the UK. The business partner is the guy with the IT background and Stuart is the guy that has a love for shirts and the two brought the business together a couple of years ago. So it's probably a good thing that Stuart with his love of shirts is the guy that is based in Melbourne and happy to do visits.

He came past my office after hours and brought with him about 6/7 Thomas Mason books along with 3/4 Ferno books. There are seriously something like 700+ fabrics and some weird and wonderful velvet like stuff from Ferno (which I did not get so don't ask for photos of me in them). So if there is something you want that isn't on the site your best bet is to call Stuart. Also unlike swatch books used by tailors, shirting books don't appear to have any rhyme or reason behind them, so its handy to have Stuart who seems to know exactly where any type of fabric is.

I got a mixture of shirts and textures, poplin blue, oxford blue, puppy dog tooth in blue and oxford white.

One thing that I think Stuart could do better is to actually bring with him the different collar styles and cuffs, but he gives a good enough description that even my novice mates understood so maybe it's not such a bad thing.

He takes all your measurements on the spot and makes adjustments for things like watches as well. The shirts are made in Hong Kong and then shipped over.

Turn around time for the first shirt I think is just about a weeks time which is amazing. He said once that arrives if I'm happy I can just push the button on the other three or we can meet and discuss any other adjustments.

Overall a good initial experience and Stuart is a really nice guy.

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score
Good info appolyon. What does it take to set up a meeting with Stuart? Do you need a certain amount of interest/guaranteed buys?

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lachyzee
What's the starting price on shirts? Do they do suits too? Looking at getting a MTM done.

Thanks for the review.

*on their website they seem to be round $100, no mention of suits though

They do a buy 3 get one free deal. The deal that I got was 4 for $450 and this gives you access to their 'black label' fabrics which include Thomas Mason and Ferno (which are probably the only ones you'd want to consider anyway). No suits though.

Originally Posted by Jimbosaurus
Good info appolyon. What does it take to set up a meeting with Stuart? Do you need a certain amount of interest/guaranteed buys?

I think you do need to show a definite interest in making a purchase, otherwise I don't think it would be worth Stuart's time to just come out and shoot the breeze with you if you know what I mean.

I had organised for me and 4 other mates to come together but 2 of them unfortunately couldn't make it. Considering all the books that Stuart brings with him and the time it takes to take measurements I think that 3 people is probably the right mix. Having said that he is happy to visit one individual customer because he's in Melbourne and its not that much of an issue.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The Age: Secret Haunts of a Male Shopper

http://www.theage.com.au/executive-s...608-1fsth.html

Who is this James Smith schmuck?

Anton's? That stuff is horrible.

Crumpler - really that is a secret to people?

Harrolds - thank you, never heard of that one before either!

Brunswick East Project - I really wish he hadn't mentioned my local coffee shop godamnit.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
The Age: Secret Haunts of a Male Shopper http://www.theage.com.au/executive-s...608-1fsth.html Who is this James Smith schmuck? Anton's? That stuff is horrible. Crumpler - really that is a secret to people? Harrolds - thank you, never heard of that one before either! Brunswick East Project - I really wish he hadn't mentioned my local coffee shop godamnit.
I think most people are oblivious to Henry Bucks and Harrolds etc. and high end to them is anything from David Jones. And Anton's, that shop gives me shivers every time I walk past it. The decor is just so bizarre, but interesting, and sort of scary - it reminds me of a horror movie set in a very fake 'pleasant little town' in the USA where everyone is abnormally cheerful and friendly, and always carry a very artificial grin. And it would turn out that all the residents are part of some cult that butchers travelers in their sleep and offer their remains as a sacrifice to their coyote god in some sort of occult midnight orgy ceremony. That and their 5 button jackets are 'why the face'. This comment made me chuckle: "Lowes does a nice line in New South Wales -- not sure about other states. Very man-friendly. L. Beau Bendon Stretton - June 10, 2011, 12:17PM"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads