• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Net worth before you can "afford" $500 shoes?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
How about MTO'ing shell cordovan condoms? The patina would become fantastic with repeated use.

- B

Great idea, as always. Experienced male prostitutes could use the dark brown tan, while newcomers, unloosened as they are, would opt for the burgundy version to better patinate the condoms with their bodily fluids.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The complete answer to this thread: If you don't care about shoes, you won't buy $500+ no matter what you're worth. If you have some minor interest in shoes for whatever reason, you may find yourself buying $500+ shoes when it becomes a sufficiently low % of your liquid worth. If you have a considerable interest in high quality shoes, you will buy $500+ shoes even if that's a large % of your liquid worth. If you have an obsession with high quality shoes, you will buy $500+ as soon as you have $500 to spend. FIN

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Loathing
The complete answer to this thread: If you don't care about shoes, you won't buy $500+ no matter what you're worth. If you have some minor interest in shoes for whatever reason, you may find yourself buying $500+ shoes when it becomes a sufficiently low % of your liquid worth. If you have a considerable interest in high quality shoes, you will buy $500+ shoes even if that's a large % of your liquid worth. If you have an obsession with high quality shoes, you will buy $500+ as soon as you have $500 to spend.
Yes, above is all very obvious, but that was not the original question. In your opinion, what should a guy's liquid net worth be before he can "afford" $500 shoes? (Your answer is a number) Conversely, below what level would your natural reaction to his $500 shoes be: What a jackass!

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
Yes, above is all very obvious, but that was not the original question. In your opinion, what should a guy's liquid net worth be before he can "afford" $500 shoes? (Your answer is a number) Conversely, below what level would your natural reaction to his $500 shoes be: What a jackass!
Well quite simply, my answer (and everyone else's answer) would depend on which category I fit in out of the four general categories listed above. How are you not seeing that?

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by changy
What's your shoe value to networth ratio?
Yes, another way of wording it. Some will say 1:1 (Most replies so far?) Others will say 2000:1 before they are comfortable with that sort of expenditure (So far, these people seem underrepresented on a clothing forum)

Carlisle Blues

Reaction score
There is no relation between "net worth" and a pair of $500 shoes. If the shoes are going to make you more presentable before clients then they in the long run will be an asset. If the shoes are going to make you presentable before chicks then they are an asset. If you have to ask this question perhaps it is time to go off on you own and reach deep down inside and make a decision to buy the shoes.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well quite simply, my answer (and everyone else's answer) would depend on which category I fit in out of the four general categories listed above.
How are you not seeing that?

Yes, he gets it.
Now, if he would only answer the question.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Carlisle Blues
There is no relation between "net worth" and a pair of $500 shoes. If the shoes are going to make you more presentable before clients then they in the long run will be an asset. If the shoes are going to make you presentable before chicks then they are an asset. .

Sure there is.

Say someone had $500 saved, and bought $500 shoes, would you think he's an idiot, or would you think that's perfectly fine?

If you answered "fine", then the discussion is over for you.
However, if you said "idiot", then what is the number where you cross from "idiot" to "fine".

There is a number, and it's different for everyone.
This number will say a lot about about your financial mindset.

Not rocket science.

Jermyn

Reaction score
The complete answer to this thread:

If you have an obsession with high quality shoes, you will buy $500+ as soon as you have $500 to spend.

FIN

Have you been opening my bank statements?
patch[1].gif

The OP's question is strange.
'Afford' is a measure of disposable income.
Once necessities are covered, any disposable money can be spent on whatever you like.
That's why it's disposable.

In that case the correct answer to the question is:

A man can afford to spend $500 on shoes as soon as he has $500 in disposable income.

Beyond that what we are talking about is a matter of priorities:
"I have paid all my bills and have $500 left, will I spend it on shoes or on a weekend to Berlin?"

It depends on what you prefer at that precise moment in time.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's entirely the point. It reflects YOUR savings goals and preferences.

For example, if a guy had, say, $1000 in the bank,
would you think it's reasonable for him to buy $500 shoes?

Some people would say that's absolutely mad.
Others would see absolutely nothing wrong with that.

So, the question again, at what number would you think a guy is mad for spending $500 on shoes.
Again, $501 is a perfectly valid answer, and it reflects volumes. Just understand, that is not the only answer people will give.

If I had $1000 in the bank and had just landed a $500,000 a year job, it would be trivial to buy the shoes. If I had $10,000 in the bank and had just lost my job, it would be utterly stupid to buy the shoes. Circumstances matter at least as much as "net worth."

The question depends so massively on individual circumstances that we might as well just type random numbers >500 for all the meaning they'll have. That is, unless people feel like describing their complete financial situation, including assets and income, and their spending priorities. Think anyone will volunteer for that?

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, he gets it. Now, if he would only answer the question.
Why didn't you just ask, 'what percentage of your disposable income do you spend on shoes'? Instead of all this bullshit, 'wuld u fink this dood is a jackass cus he spended 500 big ones on kicks?' I spend roughly $600 on shoes per $5000-6000 disposable cash I have.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"In your opinion, what should a guy's liquid net worth be before he can "afford" $500 shoes?"

I think what you are getting at is what each person's idea is, not what that person thinks someone else's worth should be. So you're asking the wrong question to begin with. I don't give a **** what someone else spends on anything.

Carlisle Blues

Reaction score
Sure there is. Say someone had $500 saved, and bought $500 shoes, would you think he's an idiot, or would you think that's perfectly fine? If you answered "fine", then the discussion is over for you. However, if you said "idiot", then what is the number where you cross from "idiot" to "fine". There is a number, and it's different for everyone. This number will say a lot about about your financial mindset.
Oh please........ This is an idiotic question which I attempted to show some respect for. What are the shoes worth to you. That is the real question. I set my parameters in my previous answer.
Not rocket science.
I agree.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I figure the present value of someone buying my Alden ravello boots in 10 years is like $1k, so I think I profited $300 by buying them now

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads