• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Net worth before you can "afford" $500 shoes?

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by francoamerican
I'm sorry but this is not a good question as there is no answer to it. It's like dividing by zero. If you have access to food and housing and $500 on top of that and you want to spend $500 on shoes then I think you can afford them. Net worth is pretty meaningless unless you are talking about retiring or becoming disabled.
Actually, there are many answers to it. In your case, you answered $500. ie: You're ok with spending your last dime on shoes provided you have food and housing covered. Based on other replies, you might find it interesting that someone else might not dare spend $500 on shoes until he's got $25k in the bank. Yet another person might not even consider spending $500 on shoes before he's got $1,500,000 saved. And so forth...

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since when is a pair of $500 shoe consider the benchmark around here?
puzzled.gif

That's not even enough to buy a pair of C&J benchgrade at retail..........and just barely enough for Alden
ffffuuuu.gif
(non-shell variety)

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
__

francoamerican

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
Based on other replies, you might find it interesting that someone else might not dare spend $500 on shoes until he's got $25k in the bank. Yet another person might not even consider spending $500 on shoes before he's got $1,500,000 saved. And so forth...
Exactly. As many different answers as there are people, therefore not quantifiable. Not to be too harsh, but I don't find it that interesting, because it's something I think is obvious. I agree that many people think that $500 is some sort of wild indulgence. However, if you have to wear dress shoes to work anyway, $500 on shoes probably is a better use of funds than saying buying a $500 ipad. FA

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Is this a question of buying a single pair of $500+ shoes that you will consider the crown jewel in your wardrobe? Or is this a question of creating a rotation of $500+ shoes?

Honestly if you have a passion for it almost anyone can save up enough to buy a single pair of $500 shoes. However, you will more likely than need a steady and sizable salary to buy a new pair of $500+ shoes every couple of months and consider that your norm.

As a new college grad (and drawing an according salary) I generally hesitate to spend that much on shoes. However, if I saw some that struck my fancy to that extent I would suck it up, take out my wallet and walk around with a **** eating grin each time I put them on my feet.

Also, might I ask who you know that will A. know that you spent $500+ on a pair of shoes and B. judge you for not having enough money to make the purchase at the same time?

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted
Is this a question of buying a single pair of $500+ shoes that you will consider the crown jewel in your wardrobe? Or is this a question of creating a rotation of $500+ shoes?

A single pair of $500 shoes.

Originally Posted by bourbonbasted
Also, might I ask who you know that will A. know that you spent $500+ on a pair of shoes and B. judge you for not having enough money to make the purchase at the same time

A) The topic indirectly arose in another thread on SF.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Another vote for "this is a meaningless question." If income > expenses + savings goals + other discretionary spending + $500 for shoes, then you have enough money for them. Your net worth is like the integral factor of that equation over time, sort of useless for deciding if you can "afford" them or not. Perhaps your savings goals would be higher when you had a lower net worth, but still a dumb question.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Since when is a pair of $500 shoe consider the benchmark around here?
puzzled.gif

I think it's a good benchmark for that "next next level"
Where someone might react "Holy ****, are you kidding? For SHOES? Are they gold plated?"

1) $75-$100 (A typical man's nice shoes)
2) $250 (AE, etc. Most men never arrive at this)
3) $500 (Getting "very serious" about shoes. He reads about this ****. I doubt even 1% of men ever spend this much)
4) $1000 (At this point, shoes are part of your core identity and reason for being)

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reevolving, you can't afford $500 shoes.

You will know when your time is right when you don't have to ask our permission. This applies both financially and spiritually.

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Is the man in a legal industry, paying taxes on assets or income, or is he in the underground economy, like oh, male prostitute or laundering money through a sports bar?

confused.gif

- B

I had this cyber cafÃ
00a9.png
with 3 desktops, turnover always was around 130.000.000€ p/a.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gibonius
Another vote for "this is a meaningless question." If income > expenses + savings goals + other discretionary spending + $500 for shoes, then you have enough money for them. Your net worth is like the integral factor of that equation over time, sort of useless for deciding if you can "afford" them or not. Perhaps your savings goals would be higher when you had a lower net worth, but still a dumb question.

That's entirely the point. It reflects YOUR savings goals and preferences.

For example, if a guy had, say, $1000 in the bank,
would you think it's reasonable for him to buy $500 shoes?

Some people would say that's absolutely mad.
Others would see absolutely nothing wrong with that.

So, the question again, at what number would you think a guy is mad for spending $500 on shoes.
Again, $501 is a perfectly valid answer, and it reflects volumes. Just understand, that is not the only answer people will give.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads