• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

People Should Be Able To Do Whatever They Want Outside Of A Job

Freewheeler

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
WTF are you talking about?

You are doing your job when you do what well represents your employers. What you do in your private life has nothing to do with your job performance.

Oh, Hey Man. You have not improved in your ability to think, have you?

So by your way of logic, it's OK for someone to eat meat, wear fur coats and have a collection of elephant tusks on their wall to work for Peta, as long as they represent Peta and their interests between 9 and 5.

You simply can't do a good job if you don't actually believe in what you are fighting for or against. If you are gay and trying to fool people that you are not, simply to get elected, then that is fraud and you were not doing your job. You are not representing the people or a company, when you actually represent what they are against and you are trying to keep that fact hidden by joining in on the lynch mob, so you can have a job.

If Weiner was all about family values and sexual morality, then it would be an issue. But it's not because Weiner has been very laid back in that regard and never made promises that he couldn't keep.

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure your job performance goes down after a night of hookers and blow.

cmew34

Reaction score
Morality aside, sending dictures to random chicks on the internet shows a ridiculous lack of judgement, even for a congressman.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are beholden to "constituents" or investors of any kind, then no, you can't do whatever you want.

Other than this, pretty much yes, I agree.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
You sound like a BIG TIME movie producer.

Fixed

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For 99% of the jobs, yes.

Politicians are in that 1% where their jobs don't technically end when their day is done.

Also, the problem with Weiner wasn't necessarily his actions but the way he handled it afterwards. Guy clearly has integrity issues.

Freewheeler

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cmew34
Morality aside, sending dictures to random chicks on the internet shows a ridiculous lack of judgement, even for a congressman.

Doesn't mean in all instances they can't do their job. Look, we are talking about Anthony Weiner here, who has done an incredible job and could have easily become mayor of New York prior to this scandal. It's one thing to have bad judgement AND be bad at your job too. That wasn't Weiner in any capacity.

cmew34

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Freewheeler
Doesn't mean in all instances they can't do their job. Look, we are talking about Anthony Weiner here, who has done an incredible job and could have easily become mayor of New York prior to this scandal. It's one thing to have bad judgement AND be bad at your job too. That wasn't Weiner in any capacity.

Fair enough. I don't actually know anything about the guy's politics, I just know I would have a hard time supporting somebody who could do something so catastrophically misguided.

Freewheeler

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fraiche
For 99% of the jobs, yes.

Politicians are in that 1% where their jobs don't technically end when their day is done.

Also, the problem with Weiner wasn't necessarily his actions but the way he handled it afterwards. Guy clearly has integrity issues.

So he lied. He was embarrassed. The good he has done outweighs any of this bullshit. Does anyone really care that Kennedy cheated on his wife at every opportunity? No, because he was considered a great President. Clinton has also proven to be bulletproof and is considered a rock star now. None of these guys were champions for sexual morality.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
So he lied. He was embarrassed. The good he has done outweighs any of this bullshit. Does anyone really care that Kennedy cheated on his wife at every opportunity? No, because he was considered a great President. Clinton has also proven to be bulletproof and is considered a rock star now. None of these guys were champions for sexual morality.

Who considers Kennedy a great president? Seriously.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apples and oranges. Weiner is not the POTUS; he is one of 435 Representatives. He has lost all credibility among his colleagues. No one is going to ask him to co-sponsor legislation or host a fundraiser. If he manages to hold on to his seat, he is going to spend most of his time hiding in his office. The best interests of his district warrant his resignation.

gauche.story

Reaction score
It's just a way for politicians to keep distracting the populace from their absolute theft of tax dollars.

I agree though, do whatever you want when you clock out, but don't let your boss find out. In this case, Weiner's boss are his constituents. Depending on how they feel about it, he should act or not act.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So by your way of logic, it's OK for someone to eat meat, wear fur coats and have a collection of elephant tusks on their wall to work for Peta, as long as they represent Peta and their interests between 9 and 5.

This reminds me of my old boss when I was in law school. He was a very successful environmental litigator. He also drove a Hummer. Used to freak out the environmental activists that we had to meet with regularly.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I am not looking to make this a political discussion, the recent events of Anthony Weiner has me scratching my head and saying to myself - who gives a ****? I have always been of the position that as long as you are a doing your job, I don't care what you do outside of your job, even if that means snorting cocaine off the ass of some hooker. If you can come to work the next day and do a great job - have at it in your personal life. Of course, someone like Weiner shouldn't have to give up his job for what he did on Twitter, because he is doing a great job at his job. I didn't care about the scandals with Clinton and Eliot Spitzer either, since they were also doing a great job as far as I was concerned. If it's the lying about it, I don't care - it was none of our business in the first place. Just like I don't care about Mel Gibson, Charlie Sheen and a slew of others have had "scandals" in their personal lives. I can separate the art from the artist and enjoy Mel or Charlie as actors if I choose to see something they do. What Mel or Charlie say or do on their own time is none of my business. I don't know if it's an American puritanical thing or a conservative thing, but as long as people are doing the job that they were hired to do, why would anyone care what they do in their private life?
LOL. So tell me, would you let your doctor operate on you if you knew he was a raging substance abuser? How about listening to a financial adviser who is bankrupt beyond belief? What about cops who are drug dealers on the side? Are you really this stupid that you can't see the link between your professional life and personal life? Are you really that dense that you don't understand people judge you and your ability to perform based on both your personal and professional life? Second bolded, see response above. Your personal life can and does influence your professional life and vice versa. Hey Man, do you get it now?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads