• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some dapper mug shots.

lovelux2010

Reaction score
thanks for sharing..

some fantastic photos there...love the boots some of the gents were wearing

lovelux2010

Reaction score
thanks for sharing..

some fantastic photos there...love the boots some of the gents were wearing

repp_fink

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the linked article doesn't source to the photos' origin, which is the New South Wales Historic Houses Trust / Police Museum's "Crooks" photo archive. Many of the photos are scanned and available online -- here's a search which should get you started.

I own the book associated with the exhibit, and it's pretty worthwhile. The clothes are a great range of what people wore -- what's particularly interesting, besides the different styles, is how some of the fellows obviously wore the same suit day in and day out. The photos are also teriffic for the personalities of the "sitters". Like these two fellows, who are basically a masterclass in how to look hard as f...

019.jpg

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think for candid mug shots in the US, you need to look at the photos taken by police before and after the "official" mugshot. Those unofficial pictures often capture the racketeers/gangsters playing up to their audience, or at least exhibiting the bragadocio normally on display when the racketeers interacted with the police.

Here's a good example - in this photo from 1931, Mad Dog Coll and his crew have been hauled into police headquarters in Manhattan to be charged for the infamous "Harlem Baby Murders."

Basically, during the on-going war for control over Bronx/Harlem beer distribution with his former employer Dutch Schultz, Coll had started bumping off Schultz employees in broad daylight. Schultz had a good working relationship with the "uptown" Italians (not to be confused with the downtown boys who eventually put him on the spot in that chophouse in Newark) like "Tough" Joey Rao. Rao ran a social club on 107th street between 2nd and 3rd (which also happens to be the street I grew up on) and was the target in question on a hot summer day in 1931. Coll and his henchmen, presumably looking to take out Rao, opened up in the middle of a busy street - whoever the real target was managed to elude the gunmen, but several Italian children playing on the street were not so lucky.

As a result, Coll became known as the baby killer and was hauled in as the prime suspect. As you can see from the photo, he didnt appear to be too distraught over the killing or cowed by the police. Coll is the guy to the far right with the matinee idol looks (hair dyed black and moustache grown in to evade the police manhunt) with the peaked lapels:

maddog.jpg

Coll was eventually acquitted in the case. But all of the men in this photo were dead within months. Toughy Odierno and Frank Giordano went to the chair at Sing Sing for killing a Schultz beer drop attendant in broad daylight. A Con Ed worker saw the whole thing while peering out from a manhole cover. Patsy Del Greco was shot dead in a Bronx apartment, and of course, Coll was famously shot 18times while allegedly being kept on the line by Owney Madden in a phone booth in the pharmacy across the street from his hotel on 23rd street. Mike Basile may or may not have been the bodyguard who took a walk when Madden's gunman walked into the pharmacy with a tommy gun to take the "mad dog" out. I'm not sure what ultimately happened to him.

Arsenal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PhiloVance
I think for candid mug shots in the US, you need to look at the photos taken by police before and after the "official" mugshot. Those unofficial pictures often capture the racketeers/gangsters playing up to their audience, or at least exhibiting the bragadocio normally on display when the racketeers interacted with the police.

Here's a good example - in this photo from 1931, Mad Dog Coll and his crew have been hauled into police headquarters in Manhattan to be charged for the infamous "Harlem Baby Murders."

Basically, during the on-going war for control over Bronx/Harlem beer distribution with his former employer Dutch Schultz, Coll had started bumping off Schultz employees in broad daylight. Schultz had a good working relationship with the "uptown" Italians (not to be confused with the downtown boys who eventually put him on the spot in that chophouse in Newark) like "Tough" Joey Rao. Rao ran a social club on 107th street between 2nd and 3rd (which also happens to be the street I grew up on) and was the target in question on a hot summer day in 1931. Coll and his henchmen, presumably looking to take out Rao, opened up in the middle of a busy street - whoever the real target was managed to elude the gunmen, but several Italian children playing on the street were not so lucky.

As a result, Coll became known as the baby killer and was hauled in as the prime suspect. As you can see from the photo, he didnt appear to distraught over the killing or cowed by the police. Coll is the guy to the far right with the matinee idol looks (hair dyed black and moustache grown in to evade the police manhunt) with the peaked lapels:

maddog.jpg

Coll was eventually acquitted in the case. But all of the men in this photo were dead within months. Toughy Odierno and Frank Giordano went to the chair at Sing Sing for killing a Schultz beer drop attendant in broad daylight. A Con Ed worker saw the whole thing while peering out from a manhole cover. Patsy Del Greco was shot dead in a Bronx apartment, and of course, Coll was famously shot 18 times while making allegedly being kept on the line by Owney Madden from a phone booth in a pharmacy across the street from his hotel on 23rd street. Mike Basile may or may not have been the bodyguard who took a walk when Madden's gunman walked into the phrarmacy with a tommy gun to take the "mad dog" out. I'm not sure what ultimately happened to him.

Excellent post
worship.gif

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great stuff. I like that none of them have their pant around their knees.

alexanduh

Reaction score
thats ******* cool. i wish people in WAYWT would make their pictures like that.

everyone wore their waist coasts real tight

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every single pair of shoes looks so good on them.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they're all so well put together, love it
sad that people don't put that sort of care into their daywear these days
these sorts of nostalgia trips make me want to wear a suit every day, which I might well do as I get older

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Everybody was going to the local tailor and bespoke was affordablish...

Great sartorial times....

repp_fink

Reaction score
Some further thoughts :

I particularly like that this guy here is wearing a belt and braces. As a safecracker, I suppose it pays to take all eventualities into account.

Check out this fellow's trousers ... that's an amazing taper to the cuff.

I'm also interested in the collar that this guy is sporting. It's sort of a modified club collar, with a curve and a point, and pretty great-looking.

There are some fellows in these shots with obviously good-quality clothes, but notice how most of them have pretty well-worn stuff. Even if they only owned one or two suits, men wore them as a matter of course, which meant that they saw a lot of hard wear. Check out where their jackets are creasing and puckering, particularly around the buttons and buttonholes; in better reproductions of these photos, you can really make out the wear on the fabric and the pulling around the seams.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Everybody was going to the local tailor and bespoke was affordablish...

Great sartorial times....

I think bespoke is still affordable-ish but people have different priorities now. They spend their cash on large quantities of cheaper clothing, or on beach holidays, gym memberships, cars, etc. .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads