• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Beer Thread

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wonder if they will have Parabola in NYC? Need to go looking for it at lunch tomorrow. I had 2 pints of the Ballast Point Sculpin IPA tonight. Pretty good. I lot of the west coasts IPAs are starting to taste the same to me. Double Jack, Alesmith IPA, Sculpin IPA... all very similiar to my noob tastebuds. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/199/29619 <<<------ Sculpin BA page I tried a place called Shortys tonight. Will try Gingerman in the next week or so.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SD1
Cigar City Brewing now has their excellent Tocabaga Red Ale in 750ml bottles. If you are in the Tampa area this week, CCB has a better-than-usual selection on tap: On tap now in the tasting room: "¢ Jai Alai IPA* "¢ Maduro Brown Ale* "¢ Hillsborough River Dry Stout* "¢ White Oak IPA* "¢ Florida Cracker White Ale* "¢ Minaret ESB* "¢ El Lector Dark Mild* "¢ Xenu Honey Cream Ale* "¢ Cubano Espresso "¢ 110K+OT Batch #4 (Imperial Red Ale) "¢ Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Brown Ale* "¢ Big Sound Scotch Ale "¢ Jose Marti American Porter*
Never tried Cubano Espresso, El Lector, or Xenu, but the Oatmeal Raisin is the only one that really is worthwhile in that bunch. The rest are just average.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Planning on going to Dogfish Head for my 21st birthday next month. Any other brewery's and or Beer shops with good selection worth checking out on the east coast? I will be driving from NC.

Bond111

Reaction score
So what is the best method for shipping beer back home on my trip to Seattle?? I talked to my Fed-ex lady and she was going to do some checking, but thought I'd get some opinions from anyone on here that's done it.

I just know that you gotta wrap them up really good.

Anyone know of any Beer places or Breweries to check out in Seattle?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jokerman
Planning on going to Dogfish Head for my 21st birthday next month. Any other brewery's and or Beer shops with good selection worth checking out on the east coast? I will be driving from NC.
Brooklyn in NY, Ommegang in NY, and I think there are one or two more that might be worth a stop.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jokerman

Originally Posted by Rambo
Brooklyn in NY, Ommegang in NY, and I think there are one or two more that might be worth a stop.

Breweries:
Victory in PA
Sixpoint and Kelso in Brooklyn

If you make it to Boston, let me know and I can recommend breweries, bars, stores, etc.

Also check out beerfly on beeradvocate. All of these categories are on there.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions all.

I forgot about Victory good call.

Yea when I go to Nantucket to visit my brother (will also visit Cisco Brewery which is on the island) I am planning to stay a few days in Boston so I will definitely be up for recommendations. I will also probably do Ommegang(which I really want to see) and New York stuff on that trip as well. I wanted to go to Flying Dog in Maryland but they are not offering tours due to legal issues apparently.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
O, Hai!
7nTrS.jpg

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
O, Hai!

7nTrS.jpg

Wow...they filled all those bottles a bit low! I've never seen 750ml filled like that before, I do have to say be on the look out soon for the 3 different barrel aged variations of Hunahpu's...

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some pick ups from out of town:

Old Hickory Irish Walker
Duck Rabbit Imperial Russian Stout
Dogfish Head Midas Touch
Dogfish Head Black &amp; Blue
Dogfish Head Chateau Jiahu
Dogfish Head Theobroma
Flying Dog Garde Dog
Stone Imperial Russian Stout

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
To enjoy beers on tap, the lines have to be kept perfectly clean and the kegs have to be relatively fresh. Cleaning the taps costs time and money so some bars are much better than others about it.
I would only get bottled beer in some places, being tired of tasting the metallic undertones from their dirty taps.

I find that freshness is particularly important with IPAs/double IPA's as their delicate, complex hop flavors wills start to fade after a few weeks.

Cask conditioned beers tend to be always be relatively flat since they naturally have very low carbonation levels.

It is not just a question of keeping the lines clean. Cask beer needs time to settle before it is ready to drink and it has a limited life. A good cellar man is aware of this and will not offer draught beers that are not in good condition.

Draught beers are one of life's great pleasures. The bottled stuff is very different. The two will not taste the same. Pasteurised draught beers are something else altogether.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics