• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have pics of a broken in Filson Travel/Dopp kit?

alladin

Reaction score
In terms of versitality, which would be a better option - the 257 or 240?

I intend to carry a laptop occasionally with some stationary and packed lunch.

Opinions appreciated.

infinity8

Reaction score
Can someone help me out here?

I am considering a purchase of the Filson 256 bag.
And what I am looking for is like the one in first attachment.
When visiting Filson's webpage, they have three different colors and closest to what I am looking for is TAN (see second attachment). But the colors looks so much different, are they really the same?

matstyleku

Reaction score
Originally Posted by infinity8

When visiting Filson's webpage, they have three different colors and closest to what I am looking for is TAN (see second attachment). But the colors looks so much different, are they really the same?

yes, those are tan, it's just the lighting. In person, I personally think it's closer to the second picture.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally pulled the trigger on a green duffle from Cable Car Clothiers (about the same price as Cranes if you go in store). Should be coming start of next wee can't wait!

marg

Reaction score
I work during the day and go to law school at night, so I need a bag that will hold a laptop, multiple textbooks, a portfolio/notebooks, and supplies. Due to the weight, I keep breaking the metal piece on a victorinox bag that attaches the shoulder strap to the bag. Thankfully, the laptop support area is great, and I have had no issues with the Macbook. I think the 258 should work, but I'm not sure. It says on the site that it's built for heavy loads. I'm 6' with a large frame, so the bag won't look ridiculous on me. Thoughts or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, especially from current 258 owners. I would prefer the 257, but I think it may be a bit snug with what I want to get in there.

Previous bag measurements: 17" x 13" x 5.25" (the bag expanded so that it was easy to overfill, hence the broken metal piece)

marg

Reaction score
Ordered the 258 from Baker Shoes in Oregon. On sale for 250. They had the 257 for 220. Don't feel like putting this info in the sale thread. Someone can post it there if you like.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marg
I work during the day and go to law school at night, so I need a bag that will hold a laptop, multiple textbooks, a portfolio/notebooks, and supplies. Due to the weight, I keep breaking the metal piece on a victorinox bag that attaches the shoulder strap to the bag. Thankfully, the laptop support area is great, and I have had no issues with the Macbook. I think the 258 should work, but I'm not sure. It says on the site that it's built for heavy loads. I'm 6' with a large frame, so the bag won't look ridiculous on me. Thoughts or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, especially from current 258 owners. I would prefer the 257, but I think it may be a bit snug with what I want to get in there.

Previous bag measurements: 17" x 13" x 5.25" (the bag expanded so that it was easy to overfill, hence the broken metal piece)

they are tough but a real pack rat can make it break. the weak point is not the strap, but here:

359lu15.jpg

The D-ring will rip through the bridle leather loop

hymo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by infinity8

the first pic is mine. the second pic is closer to the real shade. both are the standard tan colour.

click here

Reaction score
Actually there is another colour that is really similar to tan...it's called canvas and it's a little bit darker than tan.
filson1xl2.jpg

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by click here
Actually there is another colour that is really similar to tan...it's called canvas and it's a little bit darker than tan.

i think you are wrong

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
NICE PRICES! Thanks to both of you!

Here's a tote with zipper i just got.

4942044156_c988c80b0e_z.jpg

Its a lot easier to carry around then the briefcase 257. The straps are long so they are to be used over the shoulder, but there is no option to have a long messenger bag style sling strap. Its still easy to carry though. I was out shopping with my wife last weekend and didn't want to lug around all her bags throughout manhattan so I just brought this tote with me and put whatever inside. We even walked a couple leisurely miles in the park afterwards. It was comfortable enough.

bag has one main compartment with no inside pockets. (it would of been nice if they put some things for pens or a small sub pouch. The sides have two pockets to stuff a umbrella or water bottle. And there are two pouches on the outside (with one latch for keys ect).

4941459539_712d20f158_z.jpg

capacity is almost the same as the inside of the large briefcase 257. For comparison contents: 15" laptop in sleeve, 7lbs book - there is still more space for other stuff (jacket ect).

4942045330_2d36cbcf4b_z.jpg

compare with my 257 from last year: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=133759

I got one of these in tan last week and I really like it. I didn't want a briefcase style bag (I have one in leather already) and I find this format more flexible than the 250 series. I rarely carry a laptop and have laptop cases for that purpose anyway. Finally, I think the tote is really a "go anywhere" format for either business or casual.

There is also a solution for the lack of interior pouches: http://www.purseket.com/purse-organizer

I bought a large for my zip-tote, but you could probably use a medium instead. I know, flame away and laugh if you want to, but it is a great solution and you can get it in a black check unless you want to let your freak-flag fly with something, er, more fabulous ...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES
Well I already have a briefcase, but I'd like to see how the tote actually looks while being carried. In addition, I'd love to hear your take on it and what you use it for. Also what type of comments do you get for your tote? I hardly see gents with totes in the states so I'm quite curious.

On my way out of a large group meeting a female colleague (they are, after all, the ones who notice such things) remarked upon mine, "that looks like the kind of bag a revolutionary would carry." To which I replied, "Viva la revolucion -- rum and cigars for everybody!"
acigar.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads