• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hot Dog Day #49

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhoKnewI
I'm done with Alden. After ten minutes of wear on the carpet.

K6833.png

At this price point, I'll explore other makers.

isn't this your first pair of LWB? calm down man

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hot Dog Day #49
isn't this your first pair of LWB? calm down man
WTF? I had you on ignore. Namor, they're llong wing bluchers and this is the second time this has happened with a pair of alden shoes.boots. It happened to a pair of indy boots before, but they weren't too bad. I think Alden at this point is a waste of money. Sure, you might get nice materials and nice leather, but what's the point if the stitching is complete ****. Alden has some of the worst stitch work that I have ever seen on a pair of shoes. It's really atrocious. With the money I'll get back from returning these, I'll look into C&J.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
WTF? I had you on ignore.
+1
laugh.gif
Namor, ye this is the second time this happened. It happened to a pair of indy boots before, but they weren't too bad. I think Alden at this point is a waste of money. Sure, you might get nice materials and nice leather, but what's the point if the stitching is complete ****. Alden has some of the worst stitch work that I have ever seen on a pair of shoes. It's really atrocious. With the money I'll get back from returning these, I'll look into C&J.
haa, happened to my 405 indys as well. While I prefer the aesthetics of Alden boots over C&J boots, the quality of Aldens is hideous when compared to C&J. The C&J Coniston is a great alternative, imo

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Coniston looks great.
I think so too. I just posted a pair here. But again, its a more formal look. The Indy is more versatile imo.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Newest Arrival: #8 Plaza Cap Toe Boot. Vamp stitching looks okay although there are several loose ends
tounge.gif
DSC00858-1.jpg

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by geoffmartin17
Those are great - I have them on order with J Gilbert!
the one with the commando sole? I love that combination. The plain toe is just as beautiful
inlove.gif

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by geoffmartin17
Ya! I ordered the cap toe commando boot, nst commando boot, and an nst - all on plaza. can't wait - though Yenni says that alden will only tell her "Winter" as the ETA.
dear lord
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif

mg428

Reaction score
I did not understand. Are those captoe boots from J. Gilbert? AFAIK they have/will have the non-blind eyelet version.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAMOR
Indy 403 with the Oxblood RRL Jeans

Where can I get those jeans...sick!

I'm done with Alden. After ten minutes of wear on the carpet.

K6833.png

At this price point, I'll explore other makers.

I'll look into C&J.

WK, this happened to two of mine. I guess some customers will take more of this than others simply because of the Alden aesthetic/mystique (more aesthetic in my mind). You just can't find shoes styled the same way, in the same leathers. When it comes down to it, its all how much you love their look, and I gather you could give or take it. For the record, again, I sent mine back, and got the shoes back repaired perfectly FOC from Alden in a week and a half (Brooklyn to Mass). I did have to pay postage, but I was willing to.

As far as C&J, its a VERY different look. Sure its quality construction, but most of their offerings are simply too sleek for the aesthetic I want. I like a shoe that can go between jeans and trousers easily (probably why I'm not a big fan of the Indy). I also like a shoe of substance (some will call it clunky), you won't get that from C&J. Kind of like apples and watermelons. Both are great fruits, but suited for very different tastes/times. If your work, like mine, easily allows a more casual/creative BD, the only C&J shoe I can think of that bridges that is the Darlton Wingtip (a beauty which I own in Scotchgrain). If the Alden "look" is what you love, try looking at Trickers, although to me they are even more clunky, and sometimes, like the Indy Boot, are best suited only for casual (jeans/chinos).

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
WK, this happened to two of mine. I guess some customers will take more of this than others simply because of the Alden aesthetic/mystique (more aesthetic in my mind). You just can't find shoes styled the same way, in the same leathers. When it comes down to it, its all how much you love their look, and I gather you could give or take it. For the record, again, I sent mine back, and got the shoes back repaired perfectly FOC from Alden in a week and a half (Brooklyn to Mass). I did have to pay postage, but I was willing to. As far as C&J, its a VERY different look. Sure its quality construction, but most of their offerings are simply too sleek for the aesthetic I want. I like a shoe that can go between jeans and trousers easily (probably why I'm not a big fan of the Indy). I also like a shoe of substance (some will call it clunky), you won't get that from C&J. Kind of like apples and watermelons. Both are great fruits, but suited for very different tastes/times. If your work, like mine, easily allows a more casual/creative BD, the only C&J shoe I can think of that bridges that is the Darlton Wingtip (a beauty which I own in Scotchgrain). If the Alden "look" is what you love, try looking at Trickers, although to me they are even more clunky, and sometimes, like the Indy Boot, are best suited only for casual (jeans/chinos).
Well said, Rob.

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
WK, this happened to two of mine. I guess some customers will take more of this than others simply because of the Alden aesthetic/mystique (more aesthetic in my mind). You just can't find shoes styled the same way, in the same leathers. When it comes down to it, its all how much you love their look, and I gather you could give or take it. For the record, again, I sent mine back, and got the shoes back repaired perfectly FOC from Alden in a week and a half (Brooklyn to Mass). I did have to pay postage, but I was willing to.

As far as C&J, its a VERY different look. Sure its quality construction, but most of their offerings are simply too sleek for the aesthetic I want. I like a shoe that can go between jeans and trousers easily (probably why I'm not a big fan of the Indy). I also like a shoe of substance (some will call it clunky), you won't get that from C&J. Kind of like apples and watermelons. Both are great fruits, but suited for very different tastes/times. If your work, like mine, easily allows a more casual/creative BD, the only C&J shoe I can think of that bridges that is the Darlton Wingtip (a beauty which I own in Scotchgrain). If the Alden "look" is what you love, try looking at Trickers, although to me they are even more clunky, and sometimes, like the Indy Boot, are best suited only for casual (jeans/chinos).

I remember reading your thread NYR. I agree that Alden has a unique aesthetic and that their collection looks great. I thought about just sending them back to the alden factory for them to fix, but ultimately decided that for 700 dollar shoes, this is just unacceptable. If this was my first experience with this, I'd look the other way. But this has happened before, and I remember thumbing through a few pairs at J. Crew and seeing defects on almost every pair. I was willing to excuse the crooked stitching, the wonky welt, and whatever other minor defects were present, but to have a shoe start coming apart after ten minutes was unacceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads