• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe tree sale at the Rack

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr.K
I do not understand why people need to cheap out on the shoe trees. People on this board spend so much money on quality shoes, why not spend the little extra for shoe trees. The last set I ordered from one of our vendors I got 4 for the price of 3 and it came to @18.00 dollars each and they fit great and I intend to get more and sell my overpriced Alden ones.

Care to share the details? This is still very reasonable pricing for trees, and if the quality is that much better it will be worth the small amount of extra money.

repp_fink

Reaction score
Originally Posted by commodorewheeler
...Some of the Rack shoe trees I bought are manufactured by Rochester, who makes shoe trees for Alden, Brooks Brothers, Leather Soul, etc. But the Rochester shoe trees at the Rack have lower quality wood, flimsier hardware, and fussier springs than their rebranded stuff.

I've bought many pairs of Rochester trees at my local Sym's; usually, they price out about $12 a set, and I've never seen any size out of stock. The quality and construction is exactly the same as the ones they supply to Alden, and you get the extra joy of peeling the Sym's badges off the heel bit.

Xenos

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up! I have several pairs of these and the quality is fine for me.

nelly

Reaction score
Is there a link or do I have to go in-store?

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by repp_fink
I've bought many pairs of Rochester trees at my local Sym's; usually, they price out about $12 a set, and I've never seen any size out of stock. The quality and construction is exactly the same as the ones they supply to Alden, and you get the extra joy of peeling the Sym's badges off the heel bit.

Sounds like those are worth checking out. Unfortunately, the nearest Sym's to me is 3 states east of where I live. Do you know if they do mail order?

Originally Posted by nelly
Is there a link or do I have to go in-store?

You probably have to go in-store, I wasn't able to find them online when I looked a few months ago.

repp_fink

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the nearest Sym's to me is 3 states east of where I live. Do you know if they do mail order?

I don't believe so; there's nothing on their website to indicate it. I'll have to ask next time I'm there (usually only for the odd tie or shoe trees).

Booter

Reaction score

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by barzen
It looks like you can get some Rochester shoe trees online, and there are some discounts going on now:

http://www.onecedarlane.com/products.php?catid=2

Not $12/pair, but it's probably the best I could do out on the west coast.

Originally Posted by repp_fink
I don't believe so; there's nothing on their website to indicate it. I'll have to ask next time I'm there (usually only for the odd tie or shoe trees).

Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by otc
Wait...what do your nordstrom rack trees look like?

Now that I saw some pictures, I am pretty sure the woodlore ones that are usually $12 look like this:
http://www.onecedarlane.com/imagethu...pg&w=240&h=240

They have full heels and look fine to me.

Nordstrom Rack, at least where I live, carries 2 brands of split-toe shoe trees: the Rochester ones and the Woodlore ones. I find them to be very similar in both appearance and quality.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's nothing horrible about the trees from Nordy's (not Rack) when you pick them up during their anniversary sale for like $12-$15. Out of 10+ I own, a couple may have had a minor splinter. They are certainly not as nice as those that come with Vass, G&G or RLPLs, but whatevs. They do the job, and I have had not one break on me. I rather use the money I save on something else. They're just shoe trees.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nordstrom Rack, at least where I live, carries 2 brands of split-toe shoe trees: the Rochester ones and the Woodlore ones. I find them to be very similar in both appearance and quality.
Go with the one with a fuller heel. The Wood Lore ones I have doesn't have as nice heel as the Rochester ones.

Mr.Pooter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger Everett
I've been buying Woodlore cedar shoe trees at Nordstrom Rack since I discovered that they sell them @ 12.90 instead of the 20 something I'd been paying. But walked in the other day and noticed they have them on sale @ $9.90 till mid month. They're the combo trees ( split ), Which I prefer. Don't think the price can be beat.

There are 2nds in shoe trees too. Just beause it has a certain name on it doesn't mean it's the same tree as one that sells for a higher price. Take a look at it if it's cedar. Does it look like it's 80% pinkish or is it more whitish which would be a 2nd even though to the inexperienced eye you think they're the same as the more expensive pried ones from Woodlore.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I've been lucky. Been buying them for years (over 40 pairs) and never had any problems.
They seem to always go on sale for Father's Day.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr.K
I do not understand why people need to cheap out on the shoe trees. People on this board spend so much money on quality shoes, why not spend the little extra for shoe trees. The last set I ordered from one of our vendors I got 4 for the price of 3 and it came to @18.00 dollars each and they fit great and I intend to get more and sell my overpriced Alden ones.

What is it that you don't understand? Because you are doing the same thing. You plan to replace your more costly Alden trees with some cheaper $18 trees. My Rack $13 trees work fine with my Alden shoes.

peepwall[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads