• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iOS 5

henrikc

Reaction score
As far as I understand, those icons are a part of Mission Control, and you have to do a swipe or press a button, similiar to ExposÃ
00a9.png
, to bring them up.

Wolfador

Reaction score
I have the iOS 5 beta 1 running on my iPad 2 and iPhone 4 and it runs really well.

Working on upgrading one of my apps to sync to iCloud.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Well Amazon's service is more expensive than Apple's, which may keep usage down. Google hasn't announced their pricing yet. I don't use Pandora (not available outside the US afaik), but I have no interest in running up against my pitifully small monthly bandwidth cap and getting charged $5 for each additional megabyte to stream music. I blame the carriers.
Where do you live currently? I could see it being an issue if you don't get a few gigs included with your data plan. The carriers here in the USA are playing us for fools, IMO. They are all taking us down to 2gig caps (luckily I am grandfathered in on ATT's "unlimited) while claiming it's no big deal because the average user doesn't get close to that amount of data a month. Sure for now. What about in a few years when streaming, cloud services and HD downloads become the norm? We will all be paying out of our asses while the carriers laugh all the way to the bank.
Originally Posted by grundletaint
it's 25/year. it's also good if you've pirated a bunch of stuff because, if it's in the itunes database, it will be replaced by a 256 AAC version.
itunes_match.jpg
http://www.cultofmac.com/how-steve-j...042#more-99042 i'm on the fence about streaming (if it's really included or not is a bit confusing - ) because of sound quality and signal strength. i do like the cloud because i won't have to be near my computer to handle a majority of my library. i always have 'compulsive song syndrome' so it'll be nice to grab stuff on the fly. also, it's doing more than the 100/yr for mobileme is doing for a fraction of the cost so that's nice. edit: so apparently it will stream (they call it 'push") music from the cloud to your device over wi-fi only. you can purchase things the same way as now (wi-fi or 3G) and direct them to a device (i.e. purchase it on your phone and have it DL to ipad) rather than have them go to the device you're using. comes with 5GB free storage for things NOT in their library (music, apps, books) so if you have stuff that isn't in the itunes database, you can upload it. anything you bought from them or they already have will not count against the 5GB.

1. Yes, I meant $25/yr. That was a mistake on my part. 2. Apple's comparison chart is misleading. With Amazon you can get 20 gigs for $20 a year and if you buy a single digital album from them they will give you a 2nd 20 gigs for the year for free. 40 gigs is a lot of cloud space and the average user would never fill it up. 3. What if you have more then 5 gigs of rare music and audio books? I know I have over 5 gigs of books easily. Having a general storage pool has it's advantages. Amazon gives you 5 gigs for free too, BTW. 4. Push is NOT the same thing as streaming. Not at all. It's downloading. You have to download the song to your device. One of the big advantages of streaming is that it does not take up storage space on your device and you don't have to worry about managing the file. With iTunes Match you have to download the full song on the go and if you are limited on space, delete them to make room for more music being pushed. No word from Apple as far as I know on how seamless that process would be. 5. Is iTunes Match only Wi-Fi? If so it is extremely limited. If not then you run into the same data cap problems you would with streaming. Downloading gigs of full songs still count against your cap. Look, I'm not saying it's a disaster. I can see the advantages, but my main point is that it's of limited value unless I can stream. Otherwise I think I will stick with Amazon for now. EDIT: Is Amazon's Cloud player bitrate limited for MP3 files? If not, then you can upload songs encoded in higher bit-rates then 256. I'm also fairly sure it can handle AAC files too. Another potential limitation to Apple's strategy here.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wolfador
I have the iOS 5 beta 1 running on my iPad 2 and iPhone 4 and it runs really well.

Working on upgrading one of my apps to sync to iCloud.

Any crashes or bugs? I am tempted to run it, but my cell is vital to my daily usage.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
Where do you live currently? I could see it being an issue if you don't get a few gigs included with your data plan.

The carriers here in the USA are playing us for fools, IMO. They are all taking us down to 2gig caps (luckily I am grandfathered in on ATT's "unlimited) while claiming it's no big deal because the average user doesn't get close to that amount of data a month. Sure for now. What about in a few years when streaming, cloud services and HD downloads become the norm? We will all be paying out of our asses while the carriers laugh all the way to the bank.

Yup, the carriers are the ******* worst. They, and the internet companies, are blood-sucking monopolies at this point, charging 500% above cost on bullshit like text messaging and tiered bandwidth.

I live in Canada, where the cheapest iPhone plan is $60/mo. and gets you 500mb/mo.; mine is $80 and gets me 1gb. Overages are charged at exorbitant rates--up to $5 per megabyte, as I mentioned.

No chance in hell I will be streaming anything anytime soon.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Yup, the carriers are the ******* worst. They, and the internet companies, are blood-sucking monopolies at this point, charging 500% above cost on bullshit like text messaging and tiered bandwidth. I live in Canada, where the cheapest iPhone plan is $60/mo. and gets you 500mb/mo.; mine is $80 and gets me 1gb. Overages are charged at exorbitant rates--up to $5 per megabyte, as I mentioned. No chance in hell I will be streaming anything anytime soon.
There was a report a while back that was a real eye opener. They discovered that text messages basically cost carriers nothing. They are actually sent on the backbone of the singles they already have to send and the reason they are character limited is because that is the limit they can be to be sent as so. So to all the carriers it's a "free" service, to us it's a premium one. The thing that pisses me the most off is that it's essentially data. Why can't it at least be included in our data plans? It's all bullshit. Man, your plans sound horrible. I thought the ones in the US were bad. EDIT: Sounds also like you won't be taking advantage of iTunes Match other then over Wi-Fi anytime soon either. All those songs being pushed and pulled get data pricey too.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who doesn't want to rely on cell phone reception to be able to listen to my music?

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EDIT: Is Amazon's Cloud player bitrate limited for MP3 files? If not, then you can upload songs encoded in higher bit-rates then 256. I'm also fairly sure it can handle AAC files too. Another potential limitation to Apple's strategy here.

yeah it's all still foggy so who knows...sometimes they say stream and sometimes push. i think you can only DL (push/stream?) from the cloud in wi-fi but you can make purchases in wi-fi or 3G like the current situation.

not sure about amazon's limits. i think you can upload anything to iCloud and they're banking on having most of your library in the database so you don't have to upload it (like you would on amazon) to add it. the 256 replacement is beneficial only if the songs in your library are lower as itunes will automatically give you a 256 version. i have a lot of older mp3s (128, etc) that make this desirable.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
Am I the only one who doesn't want to rely on cell phone reception to be able to listen to my music?

you won't need to unless you're using pandora or something. this cloud thing won't stream over 3G.

it's a limitation but there are enough hotspots around that if you really want to listen to something you can just get on one and download whatever you want to hear.

i have 270GB of music and, as much as i'd like to have access to the entire thing at any given time, there isn't a great reason for it. i can live without a lot of it most of the time. having any sort of access to it outside of the house is a step up.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa

Once I have Pandora up and running, I hardly ever have any issues with reception interrupting my music. They cache some of the song so brief interruptions won't kill it for you. It's not like when you are making a phone call were a brief interruption in signal will drop the call. Unless you are out in the middle of nowhere, you should be fine.

Again, streaming is not meant to replace local storage and MP3/ACC. It's an added feature for when you want to use it.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grundletaint
you won't need to unless you're using pandora or something. this cloud thing won't stream over 3G.

it's a limitation but there are enough hotspots around that if you really want to listen to something you can just get on one and download whatever you want to hear.

i have 270GB of music and, as much as i'd like to have access to the entire thing at any given time, there isn't a great reason for it. i can live without a lot of it most of the time. having any sort of access to it outside of the house is a step up.

This was kind of my point. Of all the 'limitations' to the current itunes/cloud upgrade, I can live with the lack of true streaming.

Wolfador

Reaction score
Any crashes or bugs? I am tempted to run it, but my cell is vital to my daily usage.

Netflix doesn't run but so far I really like it. Very stable for a Beta 1 release.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wolfador
Netflix doesn't run but so far I really like it. Very stable for a Beta 1 release.

Any other apps causing problems? I can live without Netflix for a while.

Wolfador

Reaction score
Any other apps causing problems? I can live without Netflix for a while.

There is a few games I had issue's with. Any particular app's you require? If I have them I can try them out for you. Are you a registered dev? There is a thread on the dev forums for app's that don't work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads